Propane cylinder reperpose.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane cylinder reperpose.

Hi, What would be the best way to safely open a 40lb propane cylinder? I wanna turn one into a thick walled steel shop trash can. I think I know where I can get a used expired one for free or next to it.

Im kinda assumeing connect to some kinda propane stove or something to vent the last of it, remove the valve off the top of the cylinder with a wrench, fill with water to displace all gas, empty, then use the oxy/fuel torch to take the top off? Or an angle grinder I guess...
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

I don't think you'll enjoy having the nasty smell from the tank in your shop. The larger tanks we use for smokers are left outside with the valves removed for several months before we start working with them, but they still stink when we cut into them.
    Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Last year I converted an old gasoline car gas tank to a in-tank fuel pump style system. I filled the tank with water, chiseled a start hole then used a electric jig saw to cut the 7" diameter hole out. By the time I got to the jig saw I was more worried about electrocuting myself rather than exploding myself.

Comment

Be careful

Black: Be VERY carefull. I have worked with propane for over 30 years and have "played" with the tanks for over 25 years. At the very least, drain fully. Then remove the valve counter-clockwise. Let breathe for about two weeks. Lay on side. Get a long match, light, watch BIG poof. Clean pants. Turn tank upright so you can fill with carbon dioxide or carbon monoxide(not as good). Cut while tank is still being filled with said gases. Then it's easy. wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
          I don't think you'll enjoy having the nasty smell from the tank in your shop. The larger tanks we use for smokers are left outside with the valves removed for several months before we start working with them, but they still stink when we cut into them.

I think that's the result of the stink they add to the propane so you don't asphyxiate yourself. I would just put some bleach water in the tank after the top is cut off and let it sit for a day. Don't try to take a short cut and displace the the propane from the tank initially with bleach water. If I remember my chemistry correctly, halogens (chlorine) can react (vigorously) with alkanes (propane). We wouldn't want that (now would we.)

Comment

I made this a while ago for carrying large rotors about.

Large propane cylinder that had been left for months with the valve open, filled with water and left overnight, drained and cut up with a 4 1/2" angle grinder with those 1mm thick cutting disks.

Worked for me and it's made a good barrow.

Problem with large rotors on a normal sack truck is they stick out side to side making it hard to get thru doors and by machines.
            This fore and aft barrow is far better for the average cluttered shop

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

getting the valves off can be a problem as they are tight and pipe wrenches don't fit with the valve guard in place. I first remove the valve handle then I slip a piece of 2x4 tubing over the valve and use a big pipe wrench with a cheater on the tube. Works well.

Comment

Originally posted by Abner
                getting the valves off can be a problem as they are tight and pipe wrenches don't fit with the valve guard in place. I first remove the valve handle then I slip a piece of 2x4 tubing over the valve and use a big pipe wrench with a cheater on the tube. Works well.

Oh... I like that idea! Now I just need a big gorilla to hold on to the tank, got a spare one??

Comment

I didn't bother, just cut the top off with the open valve attached.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Close the valve and throw it onto a bonfire, that will open it up. Don't forget to run away real fast.
                    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Saws all

I would go with a saws-all. I once used a barrel that held windshield washer solvent for a trash can. I rinsed it out and drained. When I got the torch close to it the torch ignited what alcohol was left. A 6 inch flame shot out of the bung holes for about 2 seconds. If it had been on its side it would of been traveling though the shop like a little rocket. I am lucky it didn't blow up. Jan

Comment

The last thing I would want is a "heavy" trash can. In my younger years I used 55 gal. barrells for trash cans, I finely figured out a plastic or galvanized can will hold allmost as much and be much eaiser to dump. I would save it for another project, propane tanks are a great thing to have around!!

Comment

html://www.tinyisland.com/LPvalveRemoval.html shows how to prepare a propane cylinder for reuse.

metalmagpie

Comment

I've literally got 30 lp tanks in the back yard with about 3/4 of them devalved and waiting for me. Once the valve is off, there's not a lot of fuel left inside at atmospheric pressure.

I've pulled the valve off a not-quite-empty tank (after letting it vent first) and then plasma cut it after sparking off the residual fumes (small flash). The flame exposure actually helps burn up the mercaptan stink.

As for de-valving - just make a wrench. I used stuff out of my scrap bin. Then stick a bar through the carry handle to hold the tank from spinning and it'll twist right off.

Comment

I grabbed some tanks from the local refill place. They set aside the rusty ones and tell the customers to go in and buy new ones. I asked the fellow filling my tank if I could have a few. After telling him what I was doing (not getting them refilled) I walked out with three.

I hooked them up to my grill, lit the grill and let it run till it would not stay lit. Then, I unhooked the tank and took it behind the shop where I opened it up and let it breathe. Stinky! Do this outside overnight.

Once it was opened overnight, I took the tank inside and with a pair of 2" ratcheting cargo straps, strapped it to a large bench. On the valve I attached a large wrench and started to turn it with a cheater bar. And yes, it took some screwing around to get the wrench on there just right.

Once the valve was off, I grabbed the air nozzle for my compressor and a regulator. I set the regulator at 10 or 15 psi, stuck the air nozzle in the tank leaving room for the air to escape and taped the nozzle open. After letting the air compressor tank empty entirely into the propane tank (the air compressor was fully charged but turned off), I cut the tank with a torch.

I didn't like the torch cut so I returned with a cutoff wheel. Did the same with the others. It worked. I'm still alive..... I think

rock~
                              Last edited by rockrat; 05-16-2010, 11:06 PM.
                              Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Working...
                              X