Hybrid Electrotrike MkII: Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid Electrotrike MkII: Update

I have been making slow progress on the trike in part because of other duties and because I decided to revise the geometry considerably. That has proven to be a big success with greatly improved handling and extremely good maneuverability. The centre of gravity is so low that it cannot be flipped but will break the back end loose if pushed hard enough. I am close to having the electrics hooked up and will have some video in a day or two.

It can turn within it's own wheelbase even at speeds that would flip most trikes.

The gas engine is really just an assist to the electric system which is where the real power lies. It has four 20 amp hour sealed valve regulated lead acid batteries capable of providing 300 amps at 48 volts. That is approximately a maximum output of 14 kilowatts for short periods.

Note: The gas tank is just taped in place for testing.

I had to add some fork extensions to produce the correct rake to trail ratio.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Looks good, Evan.

It would require more ground clearance for my local roads, though.

Comment

Really cool looking Evan. Put some off-road bash plates on those batteries to help them up and over any obstacle they might hit. Keep a lunch with you. You're going to need it by the time a cop gets finished figuring out wether or not you are in compliance with whatever traffic laws he has personal knowledge of! Either that or take along a copy of the motor vehicle code law and ask him to show you which section he don't like

Have you figured out what the co-efficient of drag is going to be on your beard?
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Super Coool! Why do you need the pedals? can you rest your feet on the pedals if the electric or gas is running the trike or are the pedals moving all the time? Great job. Fred

Comment

I am working with the local vehicle inspector who is on my side in this project. By using a bicycle frame with working pedals it allows him to place it in the moped category. Also important is that the bicycle can be reconverted to a regular bike by just undoing a few bolts and attaching the regular rear wheel. The non conforming aspect is the electric power system and the amount of power it can develop. That is needed because of the terrain here. By pitching it as an environmentally friendly hybrid vehicle for a disabled person we have a pretty good chance of getting it on the road. If I were female and dark skinned it would be a sure thing so I am working on my tan. The female part is not on the table.

The pedals function just the same as they would on any bicycle. They have a standard freewheel.

Comment

Evan thats a cool looking bike where did you get the saddle looks comfeee. and YOD compliance with the law never seemed to disturb the tuttles in orange county choppers ,when designing bikes they had some very dangerous looking sharp parts on their bikes Alistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Any considerations of adding solar?

Maybe a large panel overhead to keep the sun off.

Brian
              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Just to really mess with them, could you throw in a working PTO shaft? If in the unlikely event somebody really wanted to ticket you, an alternate fuel electric hybrid accessible moped farm vehicle really ought to be fun to write up.

Comment

Looking good so far any kind of milage guesstimate yet?
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                    If I were female and dark skinned it would be a sure thing so I am working on my tan. The female part is not on the table.
                    The pedals function just the same as they would on any bicycle.
                    To get the '' female part on the table'' You would have to make the pedals stationary and spread them farther apart along with raising them

Nice job Evan.
                    Is there any weight limits or restrictions that may come into play as far as licensing?

Steve

Comment

It will probably wnd up in what is called the "Limited Speed Motorcycle" catagory. All that will require of the inspector is to ignore the 1500 watt limit on maximum electric power. Since I will always average below that it shouldn't be too difficult althought the peak power is around 2500 watts.

In that case the maximum weight is 200 lbs. The Trike is weighing in at 168 right now so add maybe 15 lbs for accessories and a cargo frame with light weight aluminum box. That gives a comfortable margin to work within. The batteries are 60 lbs alone.

I have no clue what the mileage may be.
                      Last edited by Evan; 05-17-2010, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        I am working with the local vehicle inspector who is on my side in this project. By using a bicycle frame with working pedals it allows him to place it in the moped category. Also important is that the bicycle can be reconverted to a regular bike by just undoing a few bolts and attaching the regular rear wheel. The non conforming aspect is the electric power system and the amount of power it can develop. That is needed because of the terrain here. By pitching it as an environmentally friendly hybrid vehicle for a disabled person we have a pretty good chance of getting it on the road. If I were female and dark skinned it would be a sure thing so I am working on my tan. The female part is not on the table.

The pedals function just the same as they would on any bicycle. They have a standard freewheel.

Too bad...I have always liked the name "Evelyn". ;<)

Comment

I have a good comeback for that but this is a family rated show....

Comment

Here in the uk anything with wheels and directly powered by an engine is classed as a motor vehicle and needs registering taxing etc.
                            However if you were to carry a genrator on a pushbike that didnt power it obviously that doesnt count.
                            I've wondered a couple of times whether a cycle with batteries recharged by an engine while stationary would be subject to the motor vehicle policy.
                            I think it probably would knowing our government, or soon will be if they catch on.
                            Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.

Comment

Nice build Evan.
                              I can see a lot of thought, ingenuity, and fabrication skills involved in this project.
                              I just knew when I saw your 2 stroke bicycle engine that it was destined to go into a hybrid project. Have you been able to test it yet as electric only, gas only, or am I jumping the gun a little as I can see there are some loose ends yet.

It will be interesting to see if you can get it accepted as a LSM, are you anticipating any issues due to not only the electric power exceeding maximum limits, but the combined power of gas and electric power may raise a few eyebrows as well. This is probably something that they haven't encountered before, I'm sure there's going to be a little head scratching going on.
                              Good luck, keep us posted.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X