Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Source for a golf cart differential.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Source for a golf cart differential.

I am searching for a golf cart type differential (12 to 1 ratio or close to that) that is not the usual type with the electric motor mounted to the side. I want to build a cart with a tailshaft driving the diff. These type of differentials were made for some specialty golf cart type vehicles for the Sydney2000 olympics by Frazer Nash. and I have no idea where they sourced the diffs or if they were just a special job for them. Anyone have any idea where to find such a thing?

Nev
    Nev.

The differential in my electric trike is from a lawn tractor. It is a higher ratio at 21 to 1 but also has forward, neutral and reverse selectable and a built in disk brake. The diff runs in grease instead of oil so it can be rotated to present the drive input to a regular drive shaft.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

This is a long way from "down under" but you might get some ideas of whats out there----

https://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.a...s&keyword=PTT1
      If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by NiftyNev
        These type of differentials were made for some specialty golf cart type vehicles for the Sydney2000 olympics by Frazer Nash. and I have no idea where they sourced the diffs or if they were just a special job for them.
        Knowing FN, they were VERY expensively custom made and the supplier never paid.
        Paul Compton
        www.morini-mania.co.uk
        http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I have one I pulled out of an old golf cart at the salvage yard a few years ago. I wish I could remember the name but I know it was NOT an EZ-GO. My EZ-GO cart uses the trans-axle/motor setup. I can try and see if there's any ID tags or markings on it if you like. If you were closer, you could have it for cheap. You might look into Cushman. They made all sorts of carts and most used the "car-style" differential.

Comment

Well, no ID on it but it does have a tag. It shows "39-3" over "13.00" which I'm sure is the gear option and ratio. The measuring stick in the photo is a meter. The disks on the front drive is a mechanical brake setup. It uses a flex plate in front of the disks. It's a worm pinion. For the kind of ratio you're looking for, you'll need this type of drive.

Comment

Don't know if this will help you down under, but the surplus center web site lists about 10 or 12 different transaxles for sale. here is the link to their web site/page :http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.as...s&keyword=PTT1

They might turn the wrong direction in you neck of the woods.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
              Oregon Coast

Comment

I could be wrong but the OP is NOT looking for a transaxle. He wants a differential that can be driven by a drive shaft. That's what I got from his post anyway.

Comment

Another source for the type of differenial your looking for might be from a Cushman Truckster. They have been around for many years and used parts should be available.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

how about "Buggies Unlimited"?

Nev,

Try buggiesunlimited.com

They have just about anything for any brand of golf cart. I'll bet they will ship anywhere.

good luck,

Tim

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll go through the links supplied and see if I can find what I what I want.

Nev
                      Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
                        Well, no ID on it but it does have a tag. It shows "39-3" over "13.00" which I'm sure is the gear option and ratio. The measuring stick in the photo is a meter. The disks on the front drive is a mechanical brake setup. It uses a flex plate in front of the disks. It's a worm pinion. For the kind of ratio you're looking for, you'll need this type of drive.
                        Thanks Ken. That's something like I was looking for but hoping to make it independant rear suspension allround.

Nev
                        Nev.

Comment

Something like this:

- Bart
                          Bart Smaalders
                          http://smaalders.net/barts

Comment

Originally posted by barts

- Bart
                            No, just like a normal rear wheel drive differential but much smaller and of course with about a 12 to 1 ratio. The other thing is I would like it to fit the CVs and drive shafts I have which are early Mini splines. Probably asking a bit much though.

Nev
                            Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by EVguru
                              Knowing FN, they were VERY expensively custom made and the supplier never paid.
                              Yeah FN were not popular. The guy next door has one of their carts he got on Ebay. It's been a nightmare trying to get the thing going again. He might give up on it and then give it to me. I can then have the diff I need.

Nev
                              Nev.

Comment

Working...
                              X