Tool and Cutter Grinder axis labels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool and Cutter Grinder axis labels

Anyone know the applicable rules here....

the z axis is always the axis of the main spindle, but in the case of a T&CG its movable.

I'm inclined to think the long left right table movement is Z, like the head was set like a cylindrical grinder . X is suppose to be the longest movement perpendicular to Z and usually horizontal...so its in and out movement of the table Y is what's left over, up and down of the head

right or wrong?

thanks

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...e-axis-152203/

It's called the "right hand rule". Orient the thumb, index and bird finger of your right hand 90° from each other. Point your thumb along the spindle centerline, in the work area of the machine. Your index finger is X, your bird finger Y and your thumb is Z. All fingers should point positive.
    Axis A, B, C are relative to the three primary axis. A is rotational about the X axis, B is rotational about the Y axis, and C is rotational about the Z axis. (These can also be designated as rx, ry & rz, most notably on robots.)
    Note: This does not _always_ apply, as there are some odd-ball and downright weird machines out there, mostly in specific applications.
    Precision takes time.

Comment

thanks Ringer, I know rule....but it starts with the main spindle defining Z, then the rule defines the other axis and direction.....but what direction is Z? I'd think Z would be along the table's axis because that's the most common spindle orientation...but is it? I mean the spindle's often used 90 degrees from that

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
        thanks Ringer, I know rule....but it starts with the main spindle defining Z, then the rule defines the other axis and direction.....but what direction is Z? I'd think Z would be along the table's axis because that's the most common spindle orientation...but is it? I mean the spindle's often used 90 degrees from that
        If You nod and tilt the head on a Bridgeport vertical mill the Z axis is still the spindle.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
          If You nod and tilt the head on a Bridgeport vertical mill the Z axis is still the spindle.

Steve
          so on a T&CG if you rotate the head 90 the Z becomes the X and X becomes the Z? it hasn't been standardized, at least by the users that standing in front of the machine the long table direction is the Z?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
            so on a T&CG if you rotate the head 90 the Z becomes the X and X becomes the Z? it hasn't been standardized, at least by the users that standing in front of the machine the long table direction is the Z?
            Aint life a grind
            John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Well I can't say for sure and I can't find any hard evidence, but the point I was attempting to make was that the spindle no matter what plane it is in is still the Z. So I would say that the work head on a T&G would be Z, and the long table travel would be X and the other would be Y. Now I'm confusing Myself, so I'm going to keep looking.

Steve

Comment

http://yarchive.net/metal/axis_naming.html

I feel your pain! I looked at my Universal ID OD Cylindrical Grinder for about 5 miliseconds when I forst got it and just shook my head and walked away. Too many rotating and swiveling axes to properly name (and remember)
                Last edited by Glenn Wegman; 05-17-2010, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                  Well I can't say for sure and I can't find any hard evidence, but the point I was attempting to make was that the spindle no matter what plane it is in is still the Z. So I would say that the work head on a T&G would be Z, and the long table travel would be X and the other would be Y. Now I'm confusing Myself, so I'm going to keep looking.:
                  most of the time my spindle is close to or parallel to the long table movement so it would be Z....like a lathe carriage along the bed is motion along the Z axis (parallel to the spindle). Of course if i moved the head I'd have to get the chalk board out

well if i I don't get slapped down here for calling the long table axis the Z axis I'm, probably ok doing so most other places thanks for the input
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-18-2010, 01:28 AM.

Comment

Axis

Hi Mcgyver.

Will this help? I think the surface grinder axis is "B":

and these?

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                      Hi Mcgyver.

Will this help?
                      thanks OT, but no, those are for a vertical spindle machine..

I think the surface grinder axis is "B":
                      The main spindle is always Z, on a surface grinder Z is horizontal.

I get the standard and rules and how all this works, its just the movable spindle of a T&CG creates ambiguity. Steve makes a good point that when you've move the spindle, you've moved the axis so maybe I'm stuck with the ambiguity. Failing coverage from the EIA (who creates these standards), I thought maybe there'd be an common use convention ...doesn't look like that's the case

Comment

I think, though I admit that I could be wrong here, that although the spindle/tool is always Z, the quill orientation does not always correspond to Z. In other words, Z refers to the distance that the tool is from the flat plane of X and Y. Z does not always refer to how the tool moves on the machine.

For example: A milling machine with a right angle spindle attachment would still have a vertical Z even though the axis of the tool rotation would be at a right angle to Z.

- BDC

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski

Never had the chance to use this, but on this job it was a real time saver.
                            Worked out nice!

Sid
                            Here's an interresting pic from another thread.

Seems it would possibly change in relation to spindle orientation.

In the above pic of a mill with a right angle adapter it seems to me that what was X (long table axis) just became Z, what was Z (the quill) just became Y, what was M (the knee) just became U, and what was Y (cross feed) is now X.

Comment

Working...
                            X