OT: Battery Recycling Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Battery Recycling Rant

What is with all the interest in recycling dead batteries? Home Depot, The Source, even the local public library have drop-off containers for batteries. This really makes no sense. Alkaline batteries are not very different in composition to the old standby, except for the pH of the mix. They are just zinc, carbon and manganese dioxide, and these are hardly "toxic." Lithium ion batteries are in the same category; nothing toxic. These can really be tossed with the rest of what we all call "garbage." Nicads are a different story, but they fall into a similar category to lead-acid batteries:- they both are economical to recover for the metal content.
    It seems that we are getting carried away with "environmental correctness."
    Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

oh goodie, another environmental thread I get soooo cynical on this stuff.

My observation is that very, very few people really care about the environment but what almost all desperately want is to feel good about themselves. Don't bother me with facts, just feed me more self righteousness. As a leader, if you can give them what they want, you grab power, whether or not that accomplishes anything isn't that relevant.

This is the root cause of the dichotomy. For example, we have countless government policies promoting population growth. We're one of the highest per capita consuming nations, yet our leaders are hell bent for leather on worsening the problem through population growth. Every year in all directions going out from Toronto another mile of country side is paved (there's some real environmental damage!) making way for a larger and larger consumption base.....yet the government hires a young man to come to my sons school and suggest that people turn the water off in the shower while washing. Drink the kool aid son while we really wreck things.

yes its good to recycle etc but imo the only environmental strategy will prove to be more than just window dressing is to stop and eventually reverse population growth, especially among high consumption nations. No one talks about it though because that creates some real issues; much easier to tell them to turn the shower off for 30 seconds and feel good about it

Comment

The only way I am turning the shower off before I finish, or the water off while I am brushing my teeth, is if there is an actual limited supply of water. Such as a tank with X gallons in it, and it is a royal pain or otherwise impractical to refill. But if I am hooked to the well, or city supplied water....

Yes, before everyone jumps all over the well issue. I know they can and do run dry occasionally. But if you are to the point of having to turn off the water during a hot shower or while brushing teeth....You have bigger problems which need to be addressed.

Comment

[QUOTE=Mcgyver

yes its good to recycle etc but imo the only environmental strategy will prove to be more than just window dressing is to stop and eventually reverse population growth, especially among high consumption nations. [/QUOTE]

I guess then, you agree with Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Mao? Kill off the undesirable! The modern progressive movement must love you. At least 'till it's your turn in the killing fields.
        Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Aren't the three forms of population control, war, famine and disease.

War is never good, but it is probably far more humane than the other options. Given a choice, I would rather take my chances with people who are shooting at me. At least I can shoot back.

Comment

Originally posted by krutch
            The modern progressive movement must love you. At least 'till it's your turn in the killing fields.

Let's not forget that it is the "Modern Progressive Movement" that is pushing all of this "Environmental Correctness" BS on us.

Comment

Where do you get the correlation of stopping excess population growth to Hitler and that bunch? All I read is that we should learn to keep our wiggy in our pants. Maybe a little on the paranoid side, eh krutch?

Comment

I guess then, you agree with Stalin, Hitler, Pol Pot, and Mao? Kill off the undesirable! The modern progressive movement must love you. At least 'till it's your turn in the killing fields.
                are you kidding me? how's someone to have a reasonable conversation with you when you go from my proposition that population growth is the root cause of environmental problems and unless we deal with it the rest is a red herring to me supporting Stalin Hitlet et al? That' just ridiculous.

The policies creating the population growth are in place already. I'm talking about tax incentive's to a high birth rate and high immigration rates.

you think policies in support of population growth are good? and why? scratch that, i don't care to know what you think as based on your last response its unlikely to be rational

Comment

Mcgyver,
                  You're right, disaster is in the offing. It was predicted back in 1968:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Population_Bomb

FWIW: I agree on the nonsense with a lot of this recycling stuff. There's times where what you dutifully take to the recycling center simply gets hauled to the dump anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by ADGO_Racing
                    Aren't the three forms of population control, war, famine and disease.

War is never good, but it is probably far more humane than the other options. Given a choice, I would rather take my chances with people who are shooting at me. At least I can shoot back.
                    War is by far the worst option of all, It does massive damage, requires massive consumption of materials and money to achive, causes great hate, distrust, causes massive damage to *EVERYTHING* and usally leaves behind millions of unexploded mines and explosives.

Famine isent too bad, except people start fighting over food and you end up with war, And the rich never starve.

Disease, Disease is the great equaliser. It cares not if you are rich or poor, You can't buy an immune system, drugs only go so far, and indeed don't even affect some illnesses at all. Indeed the rich may even be more vunerable due to poor immune systems from living exceptionaly clean lives and being in common contact with the poor (servants, employees) and other rich (partys, events, work, etc)

And also usally when disease is rampant.. well, the whole breeding thing isent so popular anymore, And if you are infected well, people tend to just want nothing to do with you. Better then shooting at you at least...
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I wonder what kind of an a$$ equates limiting population growth to
                      mass murder???
                      ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
                        What is with all the interest in recycling dead batteries? Home Depot, The Source, even the local public library have drop-off containers for batteries. This really makes no sense. Alkaline batteries are not very different in composition to the old standby, except for the pH of the mix. They are just zinc, carbon and manganese dioxide, and these are hardly "toxic." Lithium ion batteries are in the same category; nothing toxic. These can really be tossed with the rest of what we all call "garbage." Nicads are a different story, but they fall into a similar category to lead-acid batteries:- they both are economical to recover for the metal content.
                        It seems that we are getting carried away with "environmental correctness."
                        Because they can make money selling the batteries.

Try taking some dead batteries out of the recycling bin and see what happens.

TMT

Comment

Heres how you can recycle your own batteries:

http://spatulatzar.com/alkaline_battery/

http://spatulatzar.com/lithium/

Comment

Most alkaline batteries have had a small amount of mercury in them...... That has been reduced, but is still there, I think.

That is the bigger reason for recycling.... keep mercury out of the "waste stream".

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

It's most likely a good idea to recycle all of them. Your average consumer can't tell what the battery chemistry is, so the good old "lowest common denominator" rule is needed to keep nasty stuff out of land fills and water supplies.

Dan
                              At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Working...
                              X