Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some of you believe you can't ever have too many tools.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some of you believe you can't ever have too many tools.

Was having a good day at the Avon New York flea market. I got this DeWalt 18V saw for $20.00. The guy said it worked but that the batteries were shot. Well, I thought I'd gamble $20.00 but really figured I'd end up tossing it out. Dragged it home and put one of my new 18V batteries that came with my new drill and wolla, it works great

It should come in extremely handy for trimming off pieces of much larger panels so I don't have to carry an entire 4x8 sheet over to the table saw.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

YOD,

Nice score. I have the same saw that came in my 4 tools in 1 kit.

It'll rip through a 8 foot sheet of 3/4 inch plywood like nothing.

I recently bought a 18 volt right angle drill with 2 like new batteries. My batteries were about 5 years old and failing fast. I added the right angle drill for about the same price as two new 18 volt batteries.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

"Some of you believe you can't ever have too many tools"

I'm a firm believer in that.

Nice score YOD!
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Too Many Tools?

NEVER!!!

;<)

Comment

Too many tools?......
          I don't understand how you would decide what is too many.

Besides having the right tool for every job, tools break and wear out, they can get lost, borrowed, buried under other tools - so you should have multiples of everything.

Given that the above statement is true then how do you determine what is "too many"

Perhaps when you have so many tools stacked on your shop floor that there is a danger from avalanche? Or maybe when your "gerbil trails" turn into a maze and you need maps with "you are here" on them.

Then ask yourself - Do I have too many tools or too small of shop?

Comment

I've had the very same saw for about 3 years. Contractors at my office left one behind without a battery. I picked up battery + charger on Fleabay for about $40. I think it's a great little saw. I even have an abrasive blade for cutting metal with it.

-M
            The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

no such thing as to many tools , even now iam working on getting my self a 3rd drill press this one will be a table top model i been after for awhile i hope i can get it,

Comment

I ran out of tools to buy, so, now I'm making my own.
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

toys

The one that dies with the most toys wins!!!

Comment

I got that same saw with a set.
                    Figured it was useless but with the price of the set it was free with a battery.
                    Boy was I wrong! That is the handiest saw I've used, it loves 2X4's and plywood.
                    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by swordfish
                      The one that dies with the most toys wins!!!
                      The man who dies with the most toys is still dead, but his kids get to have one heck of a garage sale!

-bill

Comment

Intresting, I allways thought those cordless saws would be horrabley underpowered considering how my circular saw dims the shop lights when it kicks in with a roar.

How many feet of 1/2" plywood or 2by do you think a battery would do?
                        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
                          Intresting, I allways thought those cordless saws would be horrabley underpowered considering how my circular saw dims the shop lights when it kicks in with a roar.

Keep in mind the size of the small saw blade. I think mine is something like 5 inches so that saves a lot of power. I don't think this saw will replace my 7" Freud but it will make life easier for small projects like adding a shelf occasionally or cutting of a small chunk of plywood from a full sheet and then trimming it up on the table saw. I have a bear of a time wrestling a full sheet of 3/4" plywood.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons

The battery lasts about 20 minutes to 1/2 hr of heavy cutting and the recharger takes about 20 minutes to recharge.
                            You usually get at least 2 batteries with a set.
                            As with all batteries, however, they only last about 2 years.
                            Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by KIMFAB
                              The battery lasts about 20 minutes to 1/2 hr of heavy cutting and the recharger takes about 20 minutes to recharge.
                              You usually get at least 2 batteries with a set.
                              As with all batteries, however, they only last about 2 years.

Then I must have a defective one and crappy batteries because it would never make it through more than one 8' slice in a piece of 1/2" plywood. I hate the darn thing and only use it when a corded saw has no chance of fitting where I need or there is no other source of power.

andy b.
                              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Working...
                              X