Lathe Rescue - "The LeBlond a Love Story"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe Rescue - "The LeBlond a Love Story"

Got this Ol' Rust Bucket of CL a couple of days ago. Nice lathe, LeBlond Regal 15", not much wear, but it sat collecting rust for way too long.

Was interesting because it came with a fair amount of attachments. Tail Stock, Follow Rest, Steady Rest, and Taper Attachment. Will I guess you guys already know what happened next..... I took it apart and started cleaning it up.

Here is the Taper Attachment all in pieces. Those parts that needed to be Bead Blasted and painted were. Ground Finished parts were cleaned with WD-40 and a Buffing Wheel

Here is the Cross Saddle a bit cleaned up

I've been rubbing out the rust on the "Ways" with WD-40 and Steel Wool and so far have the 90% of the rust eliminated. The Chuck looked to be brand new just prior to this guy's health going out and the surface rust collecting. I really liked the reversible jaws. I used 3M surface prep wheels and WD-40 to clean up the chuck. As you can see I'm nearly done with that as well

more adulterous Lathe Lovin to follow ...

just a few more shots for today -

Here it is sanded down with 120 gt. then filled and sanded again with 180 gt.

sprayed not brushed ....

Comment

Nice machine when you get the rust off. Does it run? Are you going to make us all feel bad and say what you paid for it?
      Under construction - MGB roadster widened 11.5" with Corvette C-4 suspension front and rear, 440 hp LT1 V8 with a T-56 6 speed.

Lots of pictures here
      Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
      Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422

Comment

Looks like a keeper,compliments on a first class resto job.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stabe
          Nice machine when you get the rust off. Does it run? Are you going to make us all feel bad and say what you paid for it?
          $500 and I had the guy throw in some other items as well

Comment

That will be a very nice machine once again. Glad to see it rescued by someone who appreciates good machine tools. LeBlond, Monarch, Lodge & Shipley, and of course American Pacemakers were the lathes I ran while in the Navy. All top shelf equipment.

Comment

Nice score Joe. What part of the country did that come from? It looks a lot like one of the pair a guy had (that was in bad health) that I could never get a hold of, bad phone # or something so I gave up.

Steve

Comment

It may have had rust problems but once in your capable hands no moss is growin........LOL

Nice quick work on your scoop............
                Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Joe,
                  Did you pick that up in Rancho Cordova at a shop off of Sunrise Blvd by the auto wreckers? There was one there a few years ago that looked just like yours. BTW that is a great lathe.
                  Mark Hockett

Comment

Mark what shop You talkin bout. K&T or Stewart or ?

Steve

Comment

Steve,
                      I don't remember the shops name but the lathe sat out on the side of the building for quite a while. I used to drive by it and wanted to buy it but could never find the owner.
                      Mark Hockett

Comment

Originally posted by doctor demo
                        Nice score Joe. What part of the country did that come from? It looks a lot like one of the pair a guy had (that was in bad health) that I could never get a hold of, bad phone # or something so I gave up.

Steve
                        Guy told me it came out of a storage facility in Pleasanton Ca. Former head machinist at Laurence Livermoore Labs and that is where the lathe supposedly came from.

I called him back after I had the lathe here trying to get the contact information of the guy he got it from. It's missing a few parts and I wanted to call the original owners to see if they had located them. He told me he tried several times over the course of 2 years he had the lathe to no avail.

Comment

Nice job on the restoration!
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
                            Guy told me it came out of a storage facility in Pleasanton Ca. Former head machinist at Laurence Livermoore Labs and that is where the lathe supposedly came from.
                            Well I guess that means that the odds are good that there is a pair of Le blonds quietly rusting away south of Modesto somewhere. Quite possibly one in Rancho Cordova based on what Mark posted.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Hockett
                              Steve,
                              I don't remember the shops name but the lathe sat out on the side of the building for quite a while. I used to drive by it and wanted to buy it but could never find the owner.
                              Can you give me a brief description of the shop or what street it was on. I'd like to go over and see what I could dig up

Comment

Working...
                              X