1018 cold rolled flat bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1018 cold rolled flat bar

i got a chunk of 1018 c/r bar stock from a friend today.

beautiful, slate grey color, corners are nearly sharp. . . . is it suitable for milling out a couple q/c tool holders for my aloris on the lathe ?

why do i think its too "mushy" to look good when done ? or will it ?

opinion or two ?

thanks
    davidh

Cold rolled steel can look as good as you want it to if you machine the surfaces and then polish them.

Its fine for use as a tool holder, most of the low cost ones you buy are also mild steel and even the higher cost "real" ones aren't that hard.

The only issue using cold rolled is that it will "move around" after roughing cuts due to the released internal stresses from the rolling process. So plan on roughing first and then a series of finish passes to square it back up.

Paul T.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT
      The only issue using cold rolled is that it will "move around" after roughing cuts due to the released internal stresses from the rolling process. So plan on roughing first and then a series of finish passes to square it back up.

Paul T.
      It sure does. As a lifetime woodworker, I think of maple when I cut cold rolled steel - it takes off in much the same way, although I haven't noticed enough movement to require attention when I make AXA holders.
      Last edited by Frank Ford; 05-19-2010, 04:34 PM.
      Cheers,

Frank Ford
      HomeShopTech

Comment

1018 is fine to work with. As pointed out make a rough cut then go back and make a finishing pass or two.

I make tool posts for some older Craftsman lathes out of 1018. I think they work and hold up well.

Mike N

Occasional maker of swarf.

Comment

1018 mills a lot nicer than it turns in my experience.

Comment

The question is: Is it normalized? If it is then it will be stress relieved and won't distort when you cut it.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Normalised or not

If it is normalised it most likely won't have the typical a "shiny" or "grey" cold-rolled surface finish.

I have some 1008 round rod that looks more like it was extruded - and it machines very well - and its pretty close to size.

Comment

Working...
              X