What's this tool for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this tool for?

Anyone know what this would be used for?

Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Reaming plumbing seats. Is my guess. Gary P. Hansen
    In memory of Marine Engineer Paul Miller who gave his life for his country 7-19-2010 Helmand Province, Afghanistan. Freedom is not free, it is paid for with blood.

Comment

Certainly looks like some plumber has been at it
      "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

It's a bit big for that I think - the smallest cutter is about 1" across.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

It's a seat cutter, but not for a plumber. A steam fitter, or boiler maker would use this tool. It's quite similar to those we used on-board ship.

Comment

You can bet that the "bolt handle" is not original! The cutters look as if they were once ground with secondary bevels, and I would guess at a kit for reseating engine valves. Of course that was when engines were slower, compression was lower and insert seats were yet to be invented.
            Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Peter,

Do the cutters have "flats" cut on opposite sides or is it the way they were photographed that give them that appearance?

Comment

It's a valve seat cutter

I think it's a valve seat cutter (for internal combustion engines). Commonly used on smaller air-cooled engines, such as lawn mowers. The two rods at the top of the photo are pilots that should be a close fit in the valve guide. Sometimes the set will have cutters at three different angles: 45 degrees to cut the actual seat, one a bit less than 45 and another a bit more than 45; these last two are used to narrow the seat to the correct width.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Burdick
                  Peter,

Do the cutters have "flats" cut on opposite sides or is it the way they were photographed that give them that appearance?
                  Yes, they have flats.

It's very likely there is a steam application, since that's what the owner did for 20 yrs. Definately not small engine size, the box is about 6" across here. I know it's all in poor condition, I was just curious as to the application.

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Tool?

It is a seat repair tool for Globe Valves.

JRW

Comment

From what I know, it appears to be a valve seat cutter and reliever for old IC Engines, from my familiarity, old motorcycle engines
                      K Lively

Comment

I just googled globe valves. Seems like that's what it would be!

Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

The two on the right look to me like they are for reseating oblong valves
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Valve seat reamers. That is what is on the inside of the metal case which holds the set I have. Albertson & Company, Inc. Sioux City, Iowa made the set I have. These are still coated in cosmoline. There should be code numbers on the cutters which will tell what model they are for. Mayhaps my instruction booklet has the info to tell you their application. PM me and I will look to see.
                            Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Deferably Valve seat resurfacers Peter. The cutter screws onto the handled bar with the cutting edges down and the T-bar uppermost, a pilot is screwed up into the assembly (End of T-bar Tapped??) and the whole job slid down the valve guide to reface the port. Could be used on both S/V and OHV engines.

Problem for a globe valve is that you woud have to rely on "Sighting" keeping it level.

Regards Ian.
                              You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X