Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: After a hard day of machining you sit down to.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: After a hard day of machining you sit down to.....

I know after a hard day of watching my wRong Foo mill going back and fourth I like to sit down, bust open a cold one and watch a movie. I stumbled onto something I think I'll share with you guys cause I think it's a great deal.

A friend suggested I join the NetFlix thing they advertise. You go on line at Netflix.com and sign up for $8.95 a mounth, choose 10 or 15 movies you'd like to watch and from a big city near where you live they send you a movie. You watch it and send it back to them on their postage and they send you another movie on your "queue". The turn-around time is about 3 days. Heres the sweet part.... you can download movies from them too in real time AND, if your computer has HDMI output, you can plug it into the HDMI on your flatscreen. We have watched severalmovies without any interpuptions and I'm on cable net service and even using 802.11N and still get a great picture.

Just thought I'd share what has to be the best deal going for the movie goer.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Yup, pretty much awesome.

I like the instant view option mainly but I get DVD's from them also as Netflix has probably been the culprit that caused so many video stores to close in my area.

Worth looking into for even a casual movie watcher....I would pay the monthly Netflix cost just with B'buster rentals and occasional late fees.

John

Comment

If you like Netflix Streaming you should check out Hulu.com If only I could find free high speed internet I would give the cable company the finger.

Hulu allows you to catch up on all your old A-team shows.

Comment

NetFlix is pretty slick and they provide a good service for the money. But they cause me to rant and here it is. Sorry Old Dog.

My headache with NetFlix is they post highly peristant pop-ups in some of my favorite sites. I don't mind advertizing - sellers have to advertise - but it's NetFlix's use of pop-ups and their singular persistance. They can not be made to go away without backing clear out to the desktop and clicking on the close box. If I don't the pop-up will reappear and often interfer with eBay bids, sending eMail etc if the timing is wrong.

That aint ethical. It may be some hitch on my computer that's causing my problem with NetFlix but still, persistant pop-ups aint ethical to my way of thinking. NetFlix co-opts a service paid for by a subscriber - me -to post ads that actively interfere with the use of personal property - my computer. It aint right. If NetFlix is going to intude their commercial presence on on my computer they should compensate me for time and inconvenience. AND I should have the option to request no pop-ups amed at me.

Intrusive and irritating ads are seldom successful in the long run. They create antagonism among the potential customer base. Sooner or later NetFlix will learn that vital datum but in the meantime I will patronize ANY other DVD subscription service BUT NetFlix.
        Last edited by Forrest Addy; 05-21-2010, 03:31 AM.

Comment

Forrest, if I had that problem I'd feel the same as you. BUT, life is good here. No poop-ups at all on my system? Don't know what to tell you, Maybe the gawds that are gracing you with machining skills are stick'n it to you on computer savvy? I think it's the best thing since sliced bread and that's the only reason I posted it here so that some of the guys might want to look into it.
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Forrest, why internet browser are you using?
            For me, popups are a thing of the past since making the switch to Mozilla Firefox. This browser has a whole slew of third part "add-ons" that enhance it's features.

The add-on I use is called Adblock Plus and I can't tell you the last time I've been bothered by nuisance popups.
            How it works is there is a list that is updated frequently which blacklists known nuisance addresses. If that doesn't stop them (99% of the most tenacious are) you can add the trouble address to your filter. There are some other options such as blocking java and flash prompts, too. For the record, I have never had to add any address to my list, they were blocked already!

I've been so spoiled lately, I forgot the misery of using internet explorer 4/5/6 etc. a couple years ago.

If you don't have Firefox and need any help, feel free to PM me.
            The software can be found here:
            http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

and the addon, here:
            http://adblockplus.org/en/

One thing I should mention is Firefox is different in looks and function from other browsers. If you're like me and hate change when so familiar with something, it will be annoying. But well worth it in the end.

Regarding netflix, I've never heard of that service before but it sounds great!
            I do enjoy a good movie at the end of the day. Especially Sammo Hung or any Kung-fu, for that matter.

Comment

I used netflix back before streaming video, YOD, and it was great since my SWMBO was laid up from back surgery. However, a friend was streaming using an AT&T aircard and was hit with a bill of $1300 USD. It seems they now have a 5 gig cap on downloads and his was an unlimited download card when he signed the contract with them. Then they upgraded all of the towers around here to 3G and put a cap on everyones aircard. They were supposed to broadcast a message to him that he has gone over the cap but failed to broadcast it,(and they admitted that to him). They shut off his card when it got to $1300 and his question to them was "if you can shut me down at $1300, why the f&%k didn't you shut me down at 5gig. Needless to say he was pissed. Just a word of warning if anyone streams with an aircard.

Patrick

Comment

apo, maybe you haven't heard of netflix cause you block them.

Comment

Hah, I guess that would be why. I love my Adblock!

Comment

Originally posted by HSS
                    I used netflix back before streaming video, YOD, and it was great since my SWMBO was laid up from back surgery. However, a friend was streaming using an AT&T aircard and was hit with a bill of $1300 USD. It seems they now have a 5 gig cap on downloads and his was an unlimited download card when he signed the contract with them. Then they upgraded all of the towers around here to 3G and put a cap on everyones aircard. They were supposed to broadcast a message to him that he has gone over the cap but failed to broadcast it,(and they admitted that to him). They shut off his card when it got to $1300 and his question to them was "if you can shut me down at $1300, why the f&%k didn't you shut me down at 5gig. Needless to say he was pissed. Just a word of warning if anyone streams with an aircard.

Patrick
                    HSS, this sounds like a problem with the phone company and not with Netflix. Do I have that right?

Comment

We've been using NetFlix for a few years now, and love it. Also use Firefox and Adblock Plus. Pop ups are a thing of the past. Have not had any problems with any of these.

We had several problems using Blockbuster however, and I'm glad to see NetFlix has closed their doors around here.

Comment

I've been using Redbox lately. $1.00 per movie (+ tx) Wifey & I reserve Thursdays for movie night. I go to their website to pick a movie that's in stock from the location I use and reserve it. There's a box outside a Walgreen's on my lunchtime walking route at work so I pick one up on Thu and return it the next day. We only rent 4 to 6 per month so it's a little bit cheaper.
                        Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

YOD, you are absolutely correct. There is nothing wrong with Netflix or their service. I loved using their service and the only reason we quit, was, SWMBO went back to work and we don't have time to watch movies anymore. The problem was the phone company and their aircard download cap.

Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by Forrest Addy
                            NetFlix is pretty slick and they provide a good service for the money. But they cause me to rant and here it is. Sorry Old Dog.

My headache with NetFlix is they post highly peristant pop-ups in some of my favorite sites. I don't mind advertizing - sellers have to advertise - but it's NetFlix's use of pop-ups and their singular persistance. They can not be made to go away without backing clear out to the desktop and clicking on the close box. If I don't the pop-up will reappear and often interfer with eBay bids, sending eMail etc if the timing is wrong.

That aint ethical. It may be some hitch on my computer that's causing my problem with NetFlix but still, persistant pop-ups aint ethical to my way of thinking. NetFlix co-opts a service paid for by a subscriber - me -to post ads that actively interfere with the use of personal property - my computer. It aint right. If NetFlix is going to intude their commercial presence on on my computer they should compensate me for time and inconvenience. AND I should have the option to request no pop-ups amed at me.

Intrusive and irritating ads are seldom successful in the long run. They create antagonism among the potential customer base. Sooner or later NetFlix will learn that vital datum but in the meantime I will patronize ANY other DVD subscription service BUT NetFlix.
                            looks like you used the express install instead of the custom install.

all the best.markj

Comment

Redbox is fine for the occasional un-planned rental. Several drawbacks: machine not working; machine not accepting returns; damaged DVDs; limited titles; limited copies per title; slow clustomer service.

Comment

Working...
                              X