Necessity is the mother ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessity is the mother ....

I had a customer ask if I could make a direct reading dial for his Jet lathe. No problem. If he gives me dimensions and the screw lead, make a dial and just double the graduations. The thing is just over 3" diameter and .125 lead so that makes 250 graduations which would be almost .040" apart and that looks pretty feasible.

So the blank is made and I usually just graduate it while it's on the lathe using the rotary table with index wheels plugged into the back of the spindle. And the table is 72 turns per revolutions so I need to see what hole circle that needs. Holy ---- ! The only factor is 36 holes in the 125 hole plate. There is no such thing and I wasn't about to make one.

So now it's time to pull out the universal dividing head that I got at auction and see if it plays any nicer. It's a 40 turn so that works out just ducky on the 25 hole ring, only I've got to rig up a new mounting since it's a different height and doesn't have a #2 MT wouldn't you know.

All told it looked easiest to just bolt everything to the mill table. I had an extra spud for the lathe compound so that was easy and gave me and easy depth control. This is what the setup looked like and the dial when it was done.

Last edited by TGTool; 05-21-2010, 06:21 PM.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Wow, nice work

Comment

Yep! Darn nice work!!!
      BTW...ummm...is that a horrid mill/drill I see there? Like mine?
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Very nice - and ingenious

Very nice and very ingenious of you TGT.

And so simple once you have pointed it out.

It will work with any rotary table in the vertical position as well.

How did you get the number stamping so even?

I've seen and done something similar over time but this one of yours should be right up the street of most HSM-ers as regards need, use, effectiveness and scope and skill levels required.

This thread should be referred to George Bullies for inclusion in the/his (locked) "Favourite Threads" forum - see the "sticky" at the head of the HSM main page. It would be a shame to see it get lost in the noise over time.

I might PM George along those lines if its OK with you.

Comment

Nice!

I see 4 different length marks - does your "slotting attachment" have some form of turret to give several positive stops on the stroke, or did you do 4 full revolutions, cutting all the short ones on the first revolution, then the next longest on the next revolution etc?

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Hum.... looks like a $100 part to me.
            Nice work.

rock~
            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Very nice work.
              James Kilroy

Comment

Pro quality!

Best,

BW
                ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Tiffie,
                  I made a fixture to hold a dial and the number stamps. It has fore and aft adjustment for positioning numbers relative to the graduation marks and I just rotate the dial for location around. There's a fiducial mark so I can place the number centered on the mark like the zero, or before or behind a certain number of marks. The stamp holder has spring crowders, but unfortunately the stamp set isn't well centered on the body or square with the centerline so the impressions vary a little. It is also pivoted so I can check the impression and whack it again (and again) as necessary.

I've also got a variety of stub mandrels for different ID sizes. The Jet dial unfortunately was in a whole different category and had to have a new hole and hub quite a bit lower.

Ian,
                  The attachment for graduating does have a stop turret so I can choose the stroke length. I just go once around and only occasionally get confused or screw up on what length comes next. It looks like this.

There are provisions for six lengths on the premise that I might occasionally want to do some other strange pattern like the third from the left in this group.

Also useful for slotting and internal keyway cutting with a suitable end effector.

"People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

That setup has got to be the bees knees for dial making. Heck I'd almost bet that you could give me 5 minutes of training and I could knock out stacks of them with minimal amounts of cursing, do-overs, and blood on the tools.

Comment

This belongs in the magazine. Very nice tool set!

Comment

Absolutely

+1

Absolutely - this should be in both the (locked) "Tools" thread as I said earlier:

This thread should be referred to George Bullies for inclusion in the/his (locked) "Favourite Threads" forum - see the "sticky" at the head of the HSM main page. It would be a shame to see it get lost in the noise over time.
                        AND in the magazine as Dennis (dp) said:
                        This belongs in the magazine. Very nice tool set!
                        Great stuff TGTool - keep it coming.

This - together with Brian Rupnow's "PumpJack" thread - is what the HSM forum is about - as both are for the newer, intermediate and more experienced machinists on the whole range of machines as regards source, size, cost and capability.

And both at the same time!!

Its a great example.

Its been a good week here as far as I can see.

Comment

Definately, more info/pics on the scriber setup, that thing is awsome.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Jan has plans for the toolpost shaper/scriber/slotting attachment available on his site as well as many other finished tools, kits and plans for useful projects for the shop It is well worth a visit.

http://www.tallgrasstools.com/

I confess to having purchased a plan set for the s/s/sa several years ago, but have not gotten around to making it.
                            Jim H.

Comment

And he's in the magazine - as an advertiser! I just got my first copy and hadn't had a chance to go through it page by page, but a quick look at his tools and projects is very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X