Shipping to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lazlo
    It's a Custom's Brokerage Fee. The truck has to stop at the Custom's office on the other side of the border, and fill out paperwork declaring the contents of the container. UPS, FedEx, DHL et al all charge a considerable Customs Brokerage Fee to amortize the cost per package in the trailer.
    I have been importing and exporting for over 20 yrs, including clearing customs myself, I have never yet seen a Customs fee apart from the $5.00 when Can Customs use what is known as a CBSA Postal Import Form via CanPost.
    If I truck some machines in, I have to either get a broker to issue the B3 at the border before the truck arrives at the border, OR use a bonded carrier which brings it in to the city and I have to clear it before it is released from the bonded wharehouse, same with UPS, Fedex etc which use bonded vehicles.
    Practically all freight carriers here bring the goods in and they are cleared after arrival.
    Canada Customs reserve the right to inspect any shipment before being dispatched to the customer.
    Clearing ones own can save a lot in duties, as freight company brokers often get the commodity code wrong.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 05-22-2010, 03:04 PM.

Comment

I'm pretty the US and Canada have reciprocal customs agreements, so you don't pay brokerage fees. I've sent and received several items with Canadian (and British, and German, and Australian) forum members, and have never paid brokerage fees in either direction.
      How would we know for sure, you might just have an over inflated opion of yourself.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

LOL, I'm pretty sure, not pretty I'm saying that I've never paid custom's brokerage to Canada, in over a dozen packages I've sent by USPS.
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom
          If I truck some machines in, I have to either get a broker to issue the B3 at the border before the truck arrives at the border
          Exactly. So the Customs Brokerage Fee that UPS, FedEx and DHL charge is ostensibly the cost for the broker to get the B3 customs form for them. The reality is that they ship millions of dollars of foods both directions across the border each day, so there's no way they're paying that much to broker Customs' forms -- it's just a poorly-hidden profit for them.
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I'm saying that I've never paid custom's brokerage to Canada, in over a dozen packages I've sent by USPS
            It is charged to the recipient, not the sender.
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Canada post generally does not charge G.S.T. or a Brokerage fee on items under a $60.00 value.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                It is charged to the recipient, not the sender.
                Right, but like I said -- it was stuff I was sending to forum members. They would have mentioned if there was a COD on the package...

Comment

Exactly. So the Customs Brokerage Fee that UPS, FedEx and DHL charge is ostensibly the cost for the broker to get the B3 customs form for them.
                  UPS, FedEx, DHL, do not pay any brokerage fee, it is up to you to get it brokered, or they will do it for you with their own in-house brokerage dept, they just recover the cost from you when they do.

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom
                    UPS, FedEx, DHL, do not pay any brokerage fee, it is up to you to get it brokered, or they will do it for you with their own in-house brokerage dept, they just recover the cost from you when they do.
                    Don't UPS, FedEx, and DHL have to file customs paperwork at the border, just like any other truck that crosses the border?

They have whole divisions that handle customs brokerage. They even offer it as a separate service:

UPS Customs Brokerage Services

What they're doing is charging you for the salaries and operating expenses of the offices and personnel they have at the border to handle the customs paperwork. But that's amortized across millions of packages each day, so their fees are outrageous, and a huge profit center. UPS gets singled-out for that, but all the major commercial shipping companies charge customs brokerage fees that are within a couple of dollars of each other.
                    Last edited by lazlo; 05-23-2010, 01:11 AM.

Comment

And the latest screw by the Canadian Government.
                      The CBSA Inspection fee. I just got the bill from my broker for my small horizontal mill I picked up. $39.10 plus GST for an inspection fee on all USED equipment to ensure that no contaminates are present on used equipment. I told the broker I was going to send a strongly worded letter to the CBSA that they did a crappy job cleaning the machine as it has got rust on. I got a laugh from the broker.

Unit was $180.00 USD
                      Shipping was $259 CDN
                      $128 for Taxes, Brokerage Fee and Rip off inspection fee.
                      $567.00 and I have a old Barker PM sitting in the shop waiting some TLC.
                      People like Ken S would have only spent $180.00
                      But living in west coast of Canada is worth it. :-)

Comment

but all the major commercial shipping companies charge customs brokerage fees that are within a couple of dollars of each other.
                        How do you know that?

Comment

How do you know that?
                          Because they all post their rates

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Comment

Don't UPS, FedEx, and DHL have to file customs paperwork at the border, just like any other truck that crosses the border?

No, If they had to clear every truck and their fleet of planes at every point that it crosses the border it would be a monumental hang up.
                            They bring them direct into various provincial warehouses where they are held in bond, either for someones broker to clear it or by themselves for you.
                            I have had a couple of instances where Can customs spot check a couple of items on submitting the B3, before I can pick it up from the local wharehouse.

Comment

Because they all post their rates
                              No they don't. Try finding a rate for DHL.

Comment

No they don't. Try finding a rate for DHL.
                                Wow, the Google Child couldn't find it? Took about 30 seconds:

http://www.dhl.ca/ca/Documents/CBG%2...%20english.pdf

By the way, I've shipped to Canada with all three services. DHL has slightly lower Customs Brokerage Fees, but their tracking numbers don't show anything other than pickup and delivery, and for some reason, DHL's packages often go missing for long periods of time.

Comment

Working...
                                X