Shipping to Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping to Canada

I need to ship a heavy part to Canada and my initial investigation of the rate is disappointing. The part will weigh about 45 pounds boxed up and is going to the Toronto area from Milwaukee. The cheapest rate I could find on the post office website is $97 for Priority. UPS standard gave me a quote of $57. Is there a cheaper method via the Post Office that I missed?

Any suggestions on customs declarations?
    Greg

USPS is a deal. Go for it. I just got a small parcel today that went by mistake UPS instead of USPS. The brokerage fee on the items less then $200.00 in value was $39.10. Plus both taxes.
    If you live close to board go UPS ground to other side of border and pick it up. Most US towns close to Canadian border has places that are for drop shipping like this. Other option might be the flat rate boxes I don't know how large your $45 lbs is.

Don't use UPS. I am sure Buffalo will have a drop ship place.

Good luck
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5
      I need to ship a heavy part to Canada ...
      The part will weigh about 45 pounds ...
      The cheapest rate I could find on the post office website is $97 for Priority.
      UPS standard gave me a quote of $57.

Is there a cheaper method via the Post Office that I missed?
      Hmmm. Let's see.

USPS & CanPost is $97. Add the fixed $5 brokerage fee (if they decide
      to charge it) and you are at $102, plus whatever the duty and taxes
      work out to be (if they charge them.) The parcel will arrive in a prompt
      fashion and will look in the same condition as it left the shipper's care.

UPS Ground is $57. Now add their outrageous brokerage fee (at least
      $30 is my guess, more depending on the value of the item.) Next add
      the duty and taxes which WILL be charged unfailingly. Then take into
      consideration that the parcel may well be both shaken and stirred,
      possibly even drenched in some fluids that have leaked out from other
      abused mechandise, such that the shipper wouldn't be able to recognize
      it as the same goods he turned over at the UPS Store.

Is a (very) few dollars saved really worth the heartache, frustration
      and outright anger experienced when you do business with UPS into
      Canada?

Originally posted by gzig5
      Any suggestions on customs declarations?
      Yes, don't ask a US citizen to perjure himself in preparing federal
      document in your favour.

Comment

As far as the USPS, was there a ground rate instead of priority? Would it fit in an international flat rate box?

I've had a few parcels shipped to Canada via DHL lately and the shipping costs were comparable to UPS. An added plus is that their brokerage fee was only $7.00.

Dave

Comment

The part won't fit and is too heavy for any of the flat rate boxes. I could not find a plain ground rate online (although the time for Priority was 6-10 days), so I thought I would ask here. I'll look some more and try to stop by the PO on the way home.

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr
            Yes, don't ask a US citizen to perjure himself in preparing federal
            document in your favour.

Besides, when going USPS/CanPost there is a percentage that gets set aside for checking, so its automatic GST/PST and $5.00 fee.
            The word GIFT usually sets up a red flag for checking.
            I make a point of telling US shippers not to use the word.
            Max.

Comment

put it on a greyhound bus

Comment

it used to be that under a $20.00 value got no Brokerage fee's to Canada by UPS. I had my 4" Kurt vise with swivel base shipped this way, as well as a Hollywood turret press.

I do not know if this loophole still exists.

Comment

Avoid Ups Period

MY tube bender a van sant cost me 400 dollars brokerage fees for a 300 dollar bender? Figure that one out. UPS sucks Period.

Comment

Besides, when going USPS/CanPost there is a percentage that gets set aside for checking, so its automatic GST/PST and $5.00 fee.
                    The word GIFT usually sets up a red flag for checking.
                    I make a point of telling US shippers not to use the word.
                    Funny thing about that. I buy items from time to time from Deal Extreme in Hong Kong. They always send the order marked gift and they never make reference to lasers in the contents. I have never paid duty or taxes or a customs fee on any of the orders regardless of the value.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by EddyCurr
                      Hmmm. Let's see.

USPS & CanPost is $97. Add the fixed $5 brokerage fee (if they decide
                      to charge it) and you are at $102
                      I'm pretty the US and Canada have reciprocal customs agreements, so you don't pay brokerage fees. I've sent and received several items with Canadian (and British, and German, and Australian) forum members, and have never paid brokerage fees in either direction.
                      Last edited by lazlo; 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM.
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Brokerage fees are nothing to do with Customs on either side, this is the fee charged by an independent broker, whether it be the freight company or a independant brokerage firm.
                        The customs requirement is that a B3 form be filled out by someone, with the applicable commodity code, either by the broker or you yourself.
                        They can allow it through without clearing at their discretion.
                        I am fortunate enough to be able to clear my own as the freight companies bring in the items in bond to their respective wharehouses, so it does not have to clear before crossing the border.
                        max.

Comment

I'm pretty the US and Canada have reciprocal customs agreements, so you don't pay brokerage fees.
                          If Canada customs inspects a parcel and charges the applicable taxes then they also charge a $5 clearing (brokerage) fee on top of that. At their discretion they may simply pass it through without inspection, taxes or fees. It has nothing to do with any agreements, but much to do with how busy they are.
                          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom
                            Brokerage fees are nothing to do with Customs on either side, this is the fee charged by an independent broker, whether it be the freight company or a independant brokerage firm.
                            It's a Custom's Brokerage Fee. The truck has to stop at the Custom's office on the other side of the border, and fill out paperwork declaring the contents of the container. UPS, FedEx, DHL et al all charge a considerable Customs Brokerage Fee to amortize the cost per package in the trailer.

If Canada customs inspects a parcel and charges the applicable taxes then they also charge a $5 clearing (brokerage) fee on top of that.
                            Huh, didn't know that. I've shipped dozens of packages to Canada, accurately describing the contents, and never heard from the recipient that it was charged Customs Brokerage. Even so, $5 is a bargain compared to the ~ $50 that UPS, FedEx and DHL charge.
                            Last edited by lazlo; 05-22-2010, 01:55 PM.
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Nobody mentions USPS brokerage fees because $5+tax is TOTALY REALISTIC AND SANE.

Breakdown of UPS fees:
                              http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html
                              Say, $200.01 package:
                              $42.95 Entry Preparation Charges.
                              a fee of 2.7 percent (minimum $5.85) of the amount advanced by UPS will be charged (bond feee)
                              $4.25 Collect On Delivery (C.O.D.) Fee for collecting import charges on delivery.
                              So now we are past $50 in just fees. Oh and:
                              Note: Rates do not include applicable duties or taxes.
                              So add another 7 or 14% tax of $200 ontop of that.
                              So likey up to over $70 in fees + $70 s/h, for a $200 item.

Do the math on a $21 item, and it still comes out $7+4.25+5.85 or about $17 in FEES.. before tax and before shiping.
                              For a $41 item, its $19.45+4.25+5.85 or about $30 in fees.. Before tax and before shiping.

And if that was not enough rape, they can throw in other charges:
                              Duty and Tax Amendment $50.00
                              Import Permits (each) $23.00 each
                              Other Government Departments (O.G.D.) Processing Fee** $16.00 each
                              Outport Entry Fee (for non-UPS carried shipments only) $10.00 each
                              Low-Value Shipment Amendment $15.00
                              Each additional classification line after first 5 lines* $4.50/line
                              Invoice Integrity Fee*** $4.00

I don't even know when any of those charges apply, but I bet they can and basicly do just toss them on randomly.
                              Yea, another $100's in fees to tack on if they feel like it.. and thats before you even consider what '$10.00 each' really means...

Id never EVER ship UPS ground from the USA to canada again. What a waste of money paying all those bureaucrats.
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X