• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RussZHC
    replied
    DHL "missing", nah, never

lazlo:

for some reason, DHL's packages often go missing for long periods of time.
    Precisely the reason I will no longer use DHL...at some past date I was to send a package "air" but apparently, according to the local DHL office, that does not mean it actually leaves or arrives by "air" and certainly not with any immediacy ( as in out by plane that day/evening)...I found out my parcel sat in the local warehouse for 3 days until a plane eventually destined for the city where the recipient lived was in fact at our local airport...and in the meantime at least 2 trucks per day had left...I guess it does not go through their central processing "plant" until it actually leaves the local warehouse, eh?
    Air freight fees to sit until a plane shows up...

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Wow, the Google Child couldn't find it?
    You are giving yourself away. I didn't use Google, I went to the DHL site. According to their search function that table doesn't exist.

It's a $25 flat-rate plus 15% of the declared value.
    Exactly where did you get the idea that it is a $25 flat rate? That table gives no such information.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    That is a nice table but it is useless for figuring out how much you will actually pay.
    It's a $25 flat-rate plus 15% of the declared value. Not surprisingly, the same fee schedule as UPS and Fedex, although FedEx recently increased their base amount to $30, which means UPS and DHL will soon follow.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    That is a nice table but it is useless for figuring out how much you will actually pay.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    No they don't. Try finding a rate for DHL.
    Wow, the Google Child couldn't find it? Took about 30 seconds:

http://www.dhl.ca/ca/Documents/CBG%2...%20english.pdf

By the way, I've shipped to Canada with all three services. DHL has slightly lower Customs Brokerage Fees, but their tracking numbers don't show anything other than pickup and delivery, and for some reason, DHL's packages often go missing for long periods of time.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Because they all post their rates
    No they don't. Try finding a rate for DHL.

Leave a comment:

• MaxHeadRoom
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    Don't UPS, FedEx, and DHL have to file customs paperwork at the border, just like any other truck that crosses the border?

No, If they had to clear every truck and their fleet of planes at every point that it crosses the border it would be a monumental hang up.
    They bring them direct into various provincial warehouses where they are held in bond, either for someones broker to clear it or by themselves for you.
    I have had a couple of instances where Can customs spot check a couple of items on submitting the B3, before I can pick it up from the local wharehouse.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    How do you know that?
    Because they all post their rates

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shi...clearance.html

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    but all the major commercial shipping companies charge customs brokerage fees that are within a couple of dollars of each other.
    How do you know that?

Leave a comment:

• DFMiller
    replied
    And the latest screw by the Canadian Government.
    The CBSA Inspection fee. I just got the bill from my broker for my small horizontal mill I picked up. $39.10 plus GST for an inspection fee on all USED equipment to ensure that no contaminates are present on used equipment. I told the broker I was going to send a strongly worded letter to the CBSA that they did a crappy job cleaning the machine as it has got rust on. I got a laugh from the broker.

Unit was $180.00 USD
    Shipping was $259 CDN
    $128 for Taxes, Brokerage Fee and Rip off inspection fee.
    $567.00 and I have a old Barker PM sitting in the shop waiting some TLC.
    People like Ken S would have only spent $180.00
    But living in west coast of Canada is worth it. :-)

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by MaxHeadRoom
    UPS, FedEx, DHL, do not pay any brokerage fee, it is up to you to get it brokered, or they will do it for you with their own in-house brokerage dept, they just recover the cost from you when they do.
    Don't UPS, FedEx, and DHL have to file customs paperwork at the border, just like any other truck that crosses the border?

They have whole divisions that handle customs brokerage. They even offer it as a separate service:

UPS Customs Brokerage Services

What they're doing is charging you for the salaries and operating expenses of the offices and personnel they have at the border to handle the customs paperwork. But that's amortized across millions of packages each day, so their fees are outrageous, and a huge profit center. UPS gets singled-out for that, but all the major commercial shipping companies charge customs brokerage fees that are within a couple of dollars of each other.
    Last edited by lazlo; 05-23-2010, 01:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MaxHeadRoom
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    Exactly. So the Customs Brokerage Fee that UPS, FedEx and DHL charge is ostensibly the cost for the broker to get the B3 customs form for them.
    UPS, FedEx, DHL, do not pay any brokerage fee, it is up to you to get it brokered, or they will do it for you with their own in-house brokerage dept, they just recover the cost from you when they do.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    It is charged to the recipient, not the sender.
    Right, but like I said -- it was stuff I was sending to forum members. They would have mentioned if there was a COD on the package...

Leave a comment:

• quasi
    replied
    Canada post generally does not charge G.S.T. or a Brokerage fee on items under a $60.00 value.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I'm saying that I've never paid custom's brokerage to Canada, in over a dozen packages I've sent by USPS
    It is charged to the recipient, not the sender.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X