Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuck chuck

Hi fellas
    I was drilling a big hole tonight with a hole saw on my drill press, the hole saw kept stalling, I thought the belts were slipping but found that the Jacobs taper was spinning in the chuck body. When I first got the drill press the chuck wasn't seated well and fell off doing something similar but this time I cant get it off I think a bur must have been raised and cut a groove in the mating part locking them together. I have tried wedging them apart and i also made up a slide hammer and put it in the chuck but as tight as i could get it it still slid out when I was pounding. Anybody got a good idea on what i might try.
    Darrell

Don't bother...you now have a round column mill drill! The chuck won't fall out... Congrats!
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Darrell,
      Can you make a wedge to go between the chuck body and the space between spindle?

Torker, your on fire tonight

Comment

Weld a big ole snipe on it and yank it out.

Love,
        Torker

Comment

Have a look down inside of of the chuck.
          Sometimes you get lucky and end up with a chuck where you can see the end of chuck arbor. If you're that lucky I'm sure I won't have to tell you what to do next.
          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

drill a hole inside the chuck (through to the taper cavity)
            put a spacer in and press the taper off.
            --
            Tom C
            ... nice weather eh?

Comment

I fixed it

Well I got it off, I decided to remove the quill because I thought that once I got the chuck off I was going to need to remachine the taper anyway. Once I figured how to remove the quill it came out easily, I then clamped it in the vice with some soft jaws and knocked the chuck off. Both the chuck and the taper were damaged. I found a Morse taper with the right taper, put it between centers and used a dial indicator to set the cross slide over. Once I had it set I chucked up the quill. I thought I had plenty of meat to clean up the taper but once I had it cleaned up enough with a finish I was happy with and tried it on the quill I found I had gone just a little too far. I thought about building it up with some weld but since I didn’t really know what kind of steel the shaft was I decided to machine it down to the next size taper which I happened to have a keyless chuck for. I set up another Morse taper with the smaller Jacobs taper and thankfully found them to be the same, at least over the 5/8 of an inch or so I was measuring. I set up the quill again and turned down to the smaller taper. I put everything back together measured the run out on the drill press and found it to be about 2 thou which I thought was pretty good. Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions. I will try to post some photos.
              Darrell
              Huh. Funny the posting rules thingy at the bottom of the page says I cant post attachments. Anybody know how to fix that?
              Darrell
              Last edited by 12teethperinch; 05-21-2010, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Glad to see you have it sorted out Darrel.

As for posting photos look at the top of the page on the general forum and have a look at the sticky thread about posting pictures. It's also a good place to practice your new found photo posting skills.

Looking forward to the pics, we all like pictures here! LOL
                Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                X