Quick die grinder bodge.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick die grinder bodge.

I need to correct a wrongly drilled hole in my power press, I need it for a job this weekend, a die grinder would be good to elongate the hole, then weld up the bit not needed.
    Only I dont have one, but I do have a pneumatic cut off tool, so I was thinking of a jury rigged die grinder, the cut off tool has a 1" shaft about 1" long sticking out of the end, my initial idea is to take the rotor out, fit it to the lathe chuck, drill a 1/4" hole in the end (to match my die grinding stones), then drill a hole transversly and fit a grub screw to hold the tool in place.
    Anyone else done a bodge like this?
    Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.

How fast does the cutoff saw run? I can see imbalance being an issue (the locking screw - maybe best to use a hex socket grub screw 3/8" long).

Concentricity of the 1/4" hole could be tricky - can you hold the rotor by the rear bearing surface and support the front end bearing surface with a fixed steady? Reaming the hole may be better than drilling.

Otherwise, could you plug or weld the old hole up completely, grind it flat and then redrill?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

There is an 'ole there for a 4mm screw allready, I have to assume that its bob on, I can remedy the balance situation a little, by fitting 2 grubscrews, thats a good idea the tool goes at 20,000 revs.
      I think I've a reamer at 1/4", but not a steady, however the rotor might go all the way into the chuck.
      Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by dr pepper
        I need to correct a wrongly drilled hole in my power press, I need it for a job this weekend, a die grinder would be good to elongate the hole, then weld up the bit not needed.
        Only I dont have one, but I do have a pneumatic cut off tool, so I was thinking of a jury rigged die grinder, the cut off tool has a 1" shaft about 1" long sticking out of the end, my initial idea is to take the rotor out, fit it to the lathe chuck, drill a 1/4" hole in the end (to match my die grinding stones), then drill a hole transversly and fit a grub screw to hold the tool in place.
        Anyone else done a bodge like this?
        Dr. Pepper, why not simply weld up the hole (which you are going to do anyway) and then drill the hole where you want it?

metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
        X