OT: Artificial life form

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Artificial life form

Seems we are getting a lot closer to creating life in our own image. I wonder where this development might lead?
    First functional synthetic bacterial genome announced
    By John Timmer

Craig Venter, who has been a prominent figure in genome research, has been using Science magazine as a host for updates on his latest project: building a bacterium that runs off a genome engineered for specific tasks. As of early 2008, his research group had managed to assemble the entire genome of a small bacterium in a yeast cell, starting with nothing but mail-order DNA.
    http://arstechnica.com/science/news/...-announced.ars

Ultimately, this is just another step on the way to a designer genome, one with a specific set of genes that rewire the bacterium's metabolism to produce a specific biomolecule, digest a toxin, or something of that nature.
    This is one of those 2 edged knives. I see great potential for good and bad. Which one outweighs the other?
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Originally posted by Evan
    Seems we are getting a lot closer to creating life in our own image. I wonder where this development might lead?
    Airsmith with a built in spell checker ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

John Stevenson with out a big mouth?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
        John Stevenson with out a big mouth?
        Never said a word.............

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Could This Lead To A Germ That We Have No Resistance To?

Comment

Right now you know someone in some government (or all of them) is asking, "How can we weaponize this?"

...and that's why I hate this kind of research.

Comment

I hope when they create the carbon-eating germ that it knows the difference between an oil slick and a school bus full of kids.

And that all it's subsequent generations retain that useful knowledge.

Comment

The scary thing is that the equipment used to do this sort of bio-engineering is becoming cheaper and cheaper. They are already talking about open-source bacteria. This is something much more dangerous and powerful than nuclear weapon in that it can be done in someone's basement with equipment which isn't controlled by the government.

Bio-technology will be the defining technology for 21st century. Too bad that I won't be around for most of it...sigh.

Comment

It doesn't matter. We're all doomed anyway.

I've been watching a lot of TV programs about the universe, from Stephen Hawking and his ilk. If an astroid doesn't get us soon a black hole will.

The more I learn, the less I want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by rotate
                    Too bad that I won't be around for most of it...sigh.

I was feeling the same way but sometimes I feel like it just might be a blessing instead of a disappointment!

Edit: I mistakenly sent that reply before I was ready and it could have been taken wrong, I hope no one was offended.
                    Last edited by radkins; 05-21-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

I will take one tall hot blonde please.
                      Andy

Comment

... starting with nothing but mail-order DNA.
                        Impressive enough, I guess, but when they can do the same starting from nothing (organic, that is), well then they can play at being god.
                        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

How about an army of Arnie's in his prime? That is where the biggest ethical dilemma lies. Should we permit research into gene modification in humans that allows the birth of children without horrible mutations caused by genetic damage such as the Thalidomide debacle? What is the next step? Hair and eye colour is easy. How about increasing the number of telomeres on the DNA? That might allow humans to live several hundred years (see Hayflick Limit). Where do we draw a line?

Comment

Impressive enough, I guess, but when they can do the same starting from nothing (organic, that is), well then they can play at being god.
                            DNA is trivial to make. The breakthrough here is being able to create independent from a living organism a sequence over 1 million base units long that actually works as a program for a dead cell. The cell is dead because it has had it's own DNA removed and without that it cannot do anything that constitutes the mechanisms of life.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Where do we draw a line?
                              We don't we are not privy to the strings...............drink the koolaid.

Comment

Working...
                              X