Need another name for this stuff...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need another name for this stuff...

Product Function Paint Thinner(Non-Aerosol)
    Primary Ingredient ETHYL ACETATE
    Primary Ingredient CAS 141786
    Secondary Ingredient ETHYL 3-ETHOXY PROPIONATE
    Secondary Ingredient CAS 763699
    Tertiary Ingredient METHYL ETHYL KETONE
    Tertiary Ingredient CAS 78933

Need some to thin down some urethane paint...

I have on hand a quality Acetone, some VM&P Naptha and then some regular ole mineral spirits..

Any alternatives? Or is that mix unique to itself..?

Thanks

I use Acetone to thin two part epoxy but haven't tried it with urethane paint.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

what's the paint, is it 2k ..meaning you have to put a catalyst to it to make it go off..if so you need 2k thinners, also called 2 pack thinners .

normal house hold polyurethane requires white spirit or Stoddard solvent as its known by the Americans.

if youre stuck ..or only using it for a rough job then petrol will just about thin anything out .
      all the best.markj

Comment

You can use up to 10% acetone as thinner.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

What's the other 90% of 10% acetone?
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

I think he means 10% of total mix can be acetone..

Comment

you can sub some of the missuses nail varnish remover for the EA, [look for the acetone free, it should smell fruity] common stuff

Comment

ETHYL ACETATE = Acetic Acid (vinegar)
                ETHYL 3-ETHOXY PROPIONATE = Propanoic acid (reaction ester)
                METHYL ETHYL KETONE = Solvent, similar to Acetone.

You can get MEK at hardware and home centers. Or you can use your straight Acetone. The other two acids are available but not "really" needed. They help keep the paint from loosing it's gloss. Don't add one without the other though.

Forgot to mention: DO NOT add any oil based thinner to urethane.
                Last edited by CCWKen; 05-23-2010, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I should have been more informative but was under time pressure. To add to what Ken posted, if you have the CAS number all you need to do is search on it using Google.

Like this: http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen
                    ETHYL ACETATE = Acetic Acid (vinegar)
                    ETHYL 3-ETHOXY PROPIONATE = Propanoic acid (reaction ester)
                    METHYL ETHYL KETONE = Solvent, similar to Acetone.

You can get MEK at hardware and home centers. Or you can use your straight Acetone. The other two acids are available but not "really" needed. They help keep the paint from loosing it's gloss. Don't add one without the other though.

Forgot to mention: DO NOT add any oil based thinner to urethane.
                    Acids? What acids? There are NO acids in that list of ingredients.
                    Do you know what an acid is?

Comment

Huh? What exactly do you think acetic acid is? Have you ever seen Glacial Acetic Acid? Open the stopper on the flask and it begins to smoke when the air reaches it.

Comment

Ethyl acetate and acetic acid are two very different chemicals. The molecular formula for acetic acid is C2H4O2, ethyl acetate is C4H8O2.

Glacial acetic acid is acetic acid with all water removed.
                        Jim H.

Comment

There more "latrine chemists" here than the equivalent lawyers. :-)
                          ...lew...

Comment

I often use denatured alcohol,as used to thin shellac,to thin out 2 part epoxy. I use the thin epoxy as an invisible wood filler under lacquer finished guitars. Works great and doesn't hurt the epoxy. I ONLY wait till the epoxy is "leather hard" to sand it. Let it get fully dry,and it is hell to sand smooth.

My favorite grain filler is 5 min. epoxy with alcohol. After a few hours,I sand it. The alcohol slows down the drying time,so it is leather hard in that time.

Comment

Ethyl acetate and acetic acid are two very different chemicals.
                              No they are not. Ethyl acetate is acetic acid reacted with ethanol. It shows up all the time in wine making, something I used to do. It is an entirely reversible reaction and because of that ethyl acetate and acetic acid are considered synonyms.

Comment

Working...
                              X