1/5 HP motor getting hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/5 HP motor getting hot

I picked up this motor for cheap for a project I'm working on. There will be pics of the project a little later, I want to finish up a couple things first.

There is a little resistance on it, but not a huge amount, and it's chain drive at the moment in my setup becasue I havent been able to find a belt the right size yet.

I guess what im asking, is it normal for it to get really hot? I can only keep my fingers on it for about a second, then its too hot. After I picked up the motor, and mounted it to my project, i noticed its the same motors we use at work to drive fans to blow clean air into manholes.

Is it a fan motor? or do I have too much resistance on it?

Should be able to keep your hand on it for a count of 5

Comment

Motor

Time to measure the current draw. The name plate lists the rated amps.

JRW

Comment

It's a fan motor aka Air Over motor,without a flan blade pushing air to it the thing will run hot and eventually burn up.Prolly came out of an exhaust fan or similar.

You might try a 115v muffin fan mounted to the back endbell and see if that helps.
        Last edited by wierdscience; 05-22-2010, 07:43 PM.
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

ok, thanks.

I assumed it was a fan motor after I saw the same one mounted on a fan. I might try to add a pipe into the back of it, and use the rear shaft to mount a fan, then it can suck air over my electronics and then through the motor. should keep the electronics cool too then!!

Comment

Also make sure teh capacitor is the right size. That's a motor that uses a start/run capacitor (PSC) and if the cap is the wrong value, it will not perform correctly, may heat up, etc.

A PSC motor has the right size capacitor when its power factor is minimum, which is when it's current draw is least at full power.

Keep eye on ball.
            Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
            X