No announcement yet.

electric motor problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you identify them with a continuity test? Is there in fact three sets of coil with no continuity between the three sets?
    This is what I would expect to see for star-delta operation.
    If you do have three coils, there is a way I have used in the past to phase them correctly using a meter and a Gel-cell or automotive battery, I can post if you need it.
    max.

Comment

If you take apart, you can do with a battery and cheap compass (the north-finding type). I have not done it for a while, so I will refrain from describing it, but the idea is to verify that you have alternating N and S poles around the stator. Lots of work, probably not worth it.

Yes, two sets of wires of same colors. Each set goes to one side of the connecting block.

you have said they are black,red,white on one side. Each color should be a coil (black to black, for instance), and each group should all be "+" ends or "-" ends.

So on the other three terminals they should either be red,white,black, or white, black, red. That is, each color is moved one space to the side, and the one that is off the end comes around back to the beginning.

if you draw a little picture you will see that in that way the connecting of all one side together will connect "wye", and connecting "across" from one set to the other will put them in series around a "delta" connection.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

My method is a lot simpler and quicker, no need to open up the motor.
        Its crude, but it has worked for me in the past.
        Max.

Comment

probably one can try the "left shift" and if that is not correct, try the "right shift". One will be correct for delta with correct rotation and phase order relative to the "wye" or star (Stern) connection.

Takes little time, and with a VFD, at least, won't cause damage or overstraining of anything (current limits are nice)
          Last edited by J Tiers; 05-27-2010, 11:21 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

I will try to get some decent pictures of the switch. I am trying to test the switch to make sure everything is functioning as it should.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Maybe take a continuity reading of the motor terminals, if you have two rows of three.
              with 1-3 across the top and 4-6 the lower row, left to right.
              Indicate the 3 winding terminations would help verify whether it is 'standard' termination.
              Max.

Comment

Working...
              X