• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made....ahhh....somewhere.

Yep

So it is.

Goodness me.

Comment

Just call it made wherever the least offensive place is for you. I've heard lots of people say " I don't mind that it was made in XXX, it's a helluvalot better than it being made in XXX".

Comment

That was on the back of a box of ten TPG32 carbide inserts that I got from Enco yesterday. I'm so confused. LOL.

Comment

It might mean that the insert was made in China, the box in India, the label in Korea and the ink in Portugal.
          I don't know - just a guess.

Comment

Carbide

Perhaps they were to be inserted into carbide lamps.

When I was a lad, they were in extensive use by rail-way "Gangers" when doing track-work at night. Were also used for "spot-light" fishing.

They were all good lamps too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbide_lamp

Caused all sort of havoc in country/rural houses (only had "hurricane"/paraffin lamps) if carbide lumps (calcium carbide) were tipped into the "chamber" (pi$$) pot under womens beds!! Spluttered and farted worse than the occupant(s?) of the bed!!

Comment

A Japanese friend once told me the Chinese marketing people discovered that some Americans actually did care where their stuff came from, so, in typical sneaky Asian logic, the bought an entire town on the island of Formosa, and renamed it "USA". No, they didn't start manufacutring their products there....just the little labels that said, "Made in USA"
              No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Is this what is meant by globalisation
                Last edited by oil mac; 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Snopes

Originally posted by saltmine
                  A Japanese friend once told me the Chinese marketing people discovered that some Americans actually did care where their stuff came from, so, in typical sneaky Asian logic, the bought an entire town on the island of Formosa, and renamed it "USA". No, they didn't start manufacutring their products there....just the little labels that said, "Made in USA"
                  'fraid not.

Good story but just an urban myth:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/usa.asp

Comment

I bought a couple of boxes of rod ends ( heim joints ) from Rod End Supply
                    a few years back.
                    The boxes say "made on Earth"......still have them.
                    Saw some people from the company at the PRI show a few months
                    later.....had to bitch a little bit, they didn't seem to care, couldn't
                    or wouldn't tell me where they came from.
                    Last thing I ever bought from them.
                    Dave

Comment

That goes hand in hand with the instructional manuals you know get in 50 languages. Keep in mind, you pay for everything in the box the manual came in. Same as the spectacular packaging you see on some items.
                      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Read some bolt cartons,they look like a list from the UN
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                        X