How to cut arbitrary corner radius?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to cut arbitrary corner radius?

I have a piece of stock 1/2 x 1.5 x2.5, for example. I want to make a corner radius approx 1/4" along the 2.5" edge. But maybe I want it to be a little less. One way is to buy a radius cutting mill, but that would only work for one radius. One other way is to stand the piece vertically in the vise and use the CNC to cut half of it, and then flip over and repeat, but if I don't match up the two halves perfectly, there will be a little line in the middle. I could also clamp the piece horizontally in a vise and have the CNC make the radius in multiple long passes parallel to its axis.

Any other ideas that don't involve a lot of money?

Angle grinder and a file will be fast and low cost.

Comment

Re-grind an old endmill into a single lip cutter with the radius you want offhand ground in.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Sometimes the old tools are the thing... a simple form tool in the shaper. no problem!
        Joe B

Comment

Get out your radius dresser for your surface grinder, and grind the correct profile in a 1/2" wheel, then grind it.

Or dress the negative of your profile on your wheel and then use that to grind an end mill.

Or pay a tool & cutter guy to make you the right tool.

I personally wouldn't worry about the "little line" -- a pass on a 3M deburring wheel would blend that in no problem. Unless this part is for a guided missile or something.

MM

Comment

How many and how accurate?

If the answer is one and it's for appearance or feel then I don't think any above suggestons beat a grinder and a file.......

Comment

Belt sander, Disc sander, File and a lenght of emery cloth.

Steve

Comment

Take a 45 degree cut off each edge to minimize the amount of material to be removed by grinding. Draw file the radius to show the high spots, belt sand. Repeat the draw filing then belt sanding til it's right.

Or- use a radius mill of slightly larger size than you want, just don't cut as deep. Grind, file and sand the rest of the way.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

what machines do you have? how exact does it have to be?

your cnc idea is good. I dont have one working yet so I'd make an end mill, simple style, sort of like D bit. Turn the radius, mill half of it away, and file relief behind the cutting edge. harden and stone/ if you need it more exact, you're buying a grinder and radius dresser

Comment

My first thought was to mount it on a rotary table that is mounted vertically. Use a tailstock to support the far end. Use the mill to remove the corner as the table rotates. The further from the center, the gentler the radius.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I believe this is over-thinking........ I like the file idea and its relatives.....

As someone once said, sometimes it's just close enough....... you don't wipe your A$$ with 3 D co-ordinates and a color density meter.......

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Since he did not say what he wanted for the level of accuracy, any thoughts might help.

Besides, this is an amateur website where people share information, ideas and thoughts. The OP now has at least 4 ways to do it. That's not including router bits if he's doing aluminum.

Dan
                        At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I think I have a 1/4" radius cutter so I know what I would do if I wanted it to be real nice. On the other hand many times I just belt sand a radius on stuff if it is just a nice looking radius of no particular size and close enough is good.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Easy. Buy a Kearney Trecker 2D. I got mine for $0.09 per lb. Pretty cheap when you think about what meat goes for these days...

Comment

If you don't like manual methods (file etc), you can make a lathe bit or single lip form tool to any arbitrary radius with good finish and accuracy. Just takes a little time. First, grind a close approximation for the bit using a radius gage or other check. Then turn or otherwise acquire a rod of the appropriate diameter in some appropriate material, and load it with Clover or similar compound (see "appropriate material"), choose grit or multiple stages according to need. Use that rod as a lap to finish bringing in the edge. Provide adequate clearance and go. Easier on a lathe form tool, but possible on a rotating cutter.

Then again, I would love that 2D...
                              Russ
                              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Working...
                              X