Small Mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Mills

I know this was asked before , but here goes. Is the Grizzly smallest mill #8689 for $495 the same as the HF Two-speed variable Benchmill/drill machine for $399 as adver.in new HSM mag ? And which should a person buy?

I own neither, but past discussions on this subject would indicate that if these mills appear to be the same thing, they probably are made by same outfit "overthere." The main difference being that Grizz takes the mills that pass a higher QC standard (either their own or in the factory) than those sold by HF. As I said, I own neither so perhaps some satisfied owner of the particular mills you mentioned might chime in (concerning customer support of both co's).
    I bury my work

Comment

Same animal.... different paintjobs.
      However, GRIZZLY has customer service, replacement parts, and help. whereas Harbor Freight will leave you out in the cold.

Comment

Originally posted by Boot
        And which should a person buy?
        Neither one.
        Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

i bought the craftex 7x20 ct129 mill, more money but 100 times better machine, and it has vertical and horzontial milling big ++++ being able to do both and its very well built parts support is ++++ customer service ++++++ as well the good points are endless ,

you get what you pay for

Comment

Check the spindle

At one point the Grizzly mills had a morse taper spindle and the HF unit had an R8 spindle. Check that out as I consider R8 to be a better choice as there is a lot more tooling options.

Comment

They are not exactly the same. The Grizzly has a Morse Taper #3 spindle while the HF is an R8. But it is true that either will probably leave you wanting something, bigger, nicer and more expensive.

Comment

Don't let price alone suck you in. Buy the biggest baddest machine you can. If you buy on price you'll be sorry.
                Mike N

Occasional maker of swarf.

Comment

Rabbits

Let the dog see the rabbit so that all we all singing top the same hymn book:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Mini...-Machine/G8689

http://cdn8.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g8689.jpg

http://cdn9.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g8689_det1.jpg

http://cdn1.grizzly.com/pics/jpeg288/g/g8689_det2.jpg

Now if I recall correctly, Brian Rupnow, Dennis (dp) and Airsmith - amongst others - have similar machines and I've seen some pretty good work done by them on their machines.

They are light mills for small work but used creatively and correctly can be quite surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by recoilless
                    The main difference being that Grizz takes the mills that pass a higher QC standard (either their own or in the factory) than those sold by HF.
                    I've read this before on this site. But, I'm curious, what is the basis of this fact?

Comment

Grizzly does have an organization with spare parts,techs,and a real good reputation for customer service. They have been very helpful to me on a few occasions over the years. Now,if they would only get rid of that green paint!!

Comment

Why does this subject, get different answers, every time it raises it head ?

Before anybody else says that these machines are different, then I suggest an e-mail the Sir John is in order before posting any more.

Please read these sites and even the Little machine Shop, that sells the spare parts for these, say's they are the identical machine.

The ONLY difference is in the spindle, a Morse #3 or a R8, THAT'S IT, NO OTHER DIFFERENCE AT ALL. OK, the paint is a different colour, whoopee, what difference does that make. Now somebody is going to say a red one is faster than a green one, yep, there'll be a clown somewhere.

http://littlemachineshop.com/info/minimill.php

Have a look at this lot and notice what the specs are, for each brand, the minor differences between them is just purely cosmetic and the measurements of some, must have been taken with a rubber tape measure

http://littlemachineshop.com/Info/minimill_compare.php

Recommended reading for anybody who is interested in aquiring one of these mini mills.

http://littlemachineshop.com/info/Mi...UsersGuide.pdf

Basically, go for the cheapest one available, save your dollars, then with those dollars, go buy the tooling you'll need, why "line" some ones pocket, when the same thing is sold cheaper elsewhere.

OK, now who's going tp be the first clown to say they are different ?
                        Please show everybody the actual parts that make them different and don't use the excuse of the fit/finish is better. If you do, then prove it.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                          Now if I recall correctly, Brian Rupnow, Dennis (dp) and Airsmith - amongst others - have similar machines and I've seen some pretty good work done by them on their machines.

They are light mills for small work but used creatively and correctly can be quite surprising.
                          In the hands of somebody with skill and determination just about any machine can do good work.

Take a crap machine in the hands of a complete noob and the results are not fun to watch.

A new HSM guy (or gal) will not know enough to understand whether the issues they WILL encounter are them, the machine or both.

Learning how to use this gear is not easy. It's even harder when you have to fight a poorly made machine or tooling.

Will a top quality machine make a noob an instant machinist? Of course not. However that removes one obstacle from the path of learning.

I used to own a Sieg 7x lathe. What a pile of crap. After much fighting and tweaking I gave up on it when the controller smoked. Replaced it with an old Atlas 618. Never going back to that Chinese junk again.

Again, OP, buy the biggest machine you can. It will be worthwhile in the end.
                          Mike N

Comment

Originally posted by radish1us
                            Please read these sites and even the Little machine Shop, that sells the spare parts for these, say's they are the identical machine.

The ONLY difference is in the spindle, a Morse #3 or a R8, THAT'S IT, NO OTHER DIFFERENCE AT ALL. OK, the paint is a different colour, whoopee, what difference does that make. Now somebody is going to say a red one is faster than a green one, yep, there'll be a clown somewhere.
                            Agreed. I have no doubt Papa Grizzly has an inspector standing at the end of the production line ok'ing machines that 'pass' their level of QC...

That would explain why my RED HF lathe had a 'green' base coat of paint!

Mike N

Comment

Reasoned replis

Originally Posted by recoilless
                              The main difference being that Grizz takes the mills that pass a higher QC standard (either their own or in the factory) than those sold by HF.
                              Originally posted by 914Wilhelm
                              I've read this before on this site. But, I'm curious, what is the basis of this fact?
                              That is a bloody good question 194W that warrants but probably won't get a satisfactory - or any? - reasoned reply.

So far as I can see in the vast - and mostly unsubstantiated - replies are:
                              - it a well known fact;
                              - everybody knows;
                              - everybody says so;
                              - I was told;
                              - some largely self-appointed "expert" here says so;
                              - there are too many China-bashers;
                              - any/many with counter views are in large part bullied into not saying anything because of the weight of numbers;
                              - that some here who have those machines and do some very good work have positive comment on the work and little or no positive comment about the machine/s that they were made on;
                              - testosterone charge/d;
                              - made out of ignorance;
                              - wanting to be "one of the boys";
                              - not wanting to be seen as not being "one of the boys";
                              - using few genuine instances and extrapolating them out to be (seen as) the general case for no good reason/s;
                              - xenophobic?;
                              - sinophobic?;
                              etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenophobia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinophobia

I am looking forward to all those good and substantiated answers that just might be "out there".

Comment

Working...
                              X