Hard to find thread size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to find thread size

I need to find a source for 7/32-24 hex nuts and all the sources I know of don't even list that size.

Might anyone know of a source? It seems like it might be the same as a #12-24?
    I'm in it for the parking....

Never heard of a 7/32

6/32
    8/24
    10/24

sure your not looking at a metric bolt

Comment

I think he might be measuring the head of the bolt, Joe.

7/32" head bolts are common in the automotive business for holding HVAC ducting and panels under the dash together. Most are 4MM or self tapping sheet metal screws.
      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Norton tappet size.

http://www.tracytools.com/tapsanddiesspecials.htm

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by kcleere
          I need to find a source for 7/32-24 hex nuts and all the sources I know of don't even list that size.

Might anyone know of a source? It seems like it might be the same as a #12-24?
          If the thread form is 60 Deg then looks like #12-24 which is listed as 2 thou under 7/32, no 7/32 in machinery handbook on UNC coarse. If 55 Deg form then as per Sir John.

Steve Larner

Comment

What I'm measuring are threads of a rod threaded on each end and about 8+ inches long used to hold the end bells on a 40's era Delta 3 Phase motor.

It fits the 7/32-24 threaded hole in my screw-checker plate and I've seen taps as shown above for this.

I would hope someone didn't slip a metric rod into this thing over the last 70years and I didn't check it with my metric plate but guess I will.

Thanks very much for the replies.

Comment

Actually I think you got it...I looked at the matix on the thread plate and 7/32 shares a row with #12. I overlooked it. With the rod fully threaded in the plate there is "just" enough play that I bet it fits a 12 and would be a little tighter.

The thread plate itself is cheap and run of the mill....I need to find a more reliable and accurate (thicker) one anyway.

Thanks

Originally posted by SDL
              If the thread form is 60 Deg then looks like #12-24 which is listed as 2 thou under 7/32, no 7/32 in machinery handbook on UNC coarse. If 55 Deg form then as per Sir John.

Steve Larner

Comment

Working...
              X