Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what meterial do you suggest?

I got asked to fix this part

It goes in this one. (they are side by side)

It is for a four wheeler. Part of the drivetrain. I beleive it is heat treated. I was thinking of making a sleeve out of stainless and welding it in. Any thoughts?

Rob

Part

Try 4130 or 4140. Stainless is too soft.

JRW

Comment

Part of a dog clutch assembly? The overzelous driver has managed to break 3 of the four dog before realizing something is wrong. I'd refer to the steel usage charts from mills like Carpenter and other. You want a combination of wear resistance and hardness, O-2 maybe?

Comment

I'd use 4340. peter
        The difficult done right away. the impossible takes a little time.

Comment

This may be a dumb question and I approve of making parts to save money; but is there a reason that the customer didn't just buy a new one? My gut tells me that this part would be cheaper to buy than it would be to make.

Comment

For all the longer it's going to last being that the guy broke 3 of the 4 dogs I'd make it out of paper mache' or aluminum. Was he a farmer by chance? I'm told they break, continue to break and then trash equipment before getting something fixed while its easy to fix
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
              Was he a farmer by chance? I'm told they break, continue to break and then trash equipment before getting something fixed while its easy to fix
              Ya' Beat me to it Dog.
              "Ride it hard, Put it away wet."

Comment

I can't imagine that it could be made in a home shop cheaper than you could buy it, but if you're sure that you want to make it I'd use something like 4140 or maybe 8260. Both are good gear steels, and that's pretty much the application here. If you can you might consider heat treating to a maximum of toughness, stay away from maximum hardness.

Comment

Cheaper...assuming you can get the part!

This is from one of those CHEAP imported 4 wheelers. They said it just broke...un hun! My buddy told me they got stuck with it the other day. You know, the rocking it back and forth to get out of a mud hole.

They have been trying for a couple of weeks to get a part but no one seems to have one. I would be helping a friend of a friend, making some cash (or breaking even) and learn something at the same time.

I am not very versed when it comes to metalurgy.

Thanks for the input.

P.S. All four teeth are broken

Comment

Hate to be a wet blanket here but you might also want to consider your liability if your fix breaks again and causes damage or worse yet injury.
                    Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Working...
                    X