large DIY "third hand"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• large DIY "third hand"

Lazze, an SF Bay Area panelbeater, scaled up one of those little "third hand" soldering aids to hold fenders and other parts. It looks to me like it would be a great addition to a welding bench. You could substitute a welding magnet, v-block or other tool to the end of an arm.

http://www.youtube.com/lazzemetalsha.../8/OnpOa9WtF7o

Is a video by Lazze talking about how he built his third hand setup.

Enco has a pack of 25 1" OD carbon steel balls for about $16.50. Lazze used his TIG to attach the balls to the arms, but they could also be drilled/tapped and arms made that screw into them.

ETA: using a knob or lever instead of a plain SHCS at the clamp point would eliminate the need for a hex wrench.

cheers,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Moore; 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM.

That is cool enough to have an SKU number.

Comment

Making one would be an excuse (as if one was needed) to build a ball-turning attachment for the lathe.

If you put some small welding-rod loops near the pivots you could hook bungee cords between the arms to apply some tension to a part.

This is another one of those "I've seen those little ones for decades, why didn't I think to make a big one?" things that can make you feel so dumb when someone else does something "obvious".

cheers,
      Michael

Comment

That concept could also be used to make a rather nice light arm for machine lights.
        Byron Boucher
        Burnet, TX

Comment

Working...
        X