History of vertical mills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of vertical mills

Is there a book that tells of the history of vertical mills? I read, or heard, once that vertical mills were developed to mill trigger guard for rifles in government arsenals. Is this really true as I can see how a Shaper could NOT easily do that sort of cut and it would be difficult on a horizonal mill.

There is not really much that a vertical mill can do that cannot be done on a horizontal mill with an angle plate.

I don't know when the vertical milling machine came into existance, but it was preceded by vertical milling attachments for horizontal milling machines.

Bridgeport started in the business making heads for this purpose. In the mid-late thirties, they made the base and developed what became the turret milling machine.
    Jim H.

Comment

Al if you can get from your central library system, a book called History of Machine Tools 1790--1910 by Steed, It is a British publication, It tells of the development of the milling machine, Another is Tools for The Job by L T C Rolt Some of rolt tells of the American small arms production, which brought the vertical milling machine to a high art.

Comment

I've heard that the first Bridgeports were developed for patternmakers and later applied to metalworking.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

There is quite a bit of info here: http://www.lathes.co.uk/bridgeport/

Comment

Vertical mills were about years before Bridegport stuffed the design up.

From 1916.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
              Vertical mills were about years before Bridegport stuffed the design up.

From 1916.

Do you have a pager that goes off when the word "Bridgeport" gets typed on this forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau
                Do you have a pager that goes off when the word "Bridgeport" gets typed on this forum?
                I wondered about that too.What`s he got against them.:-)

Mark.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark McGrath
                  I wondered about that too.What`s he got against them.:-)

Mark.
                  Or more to the point, why doesn't he replace his with a TOS or Beaver or Ramboudi or round column mill drill, etc etc.
                  Precision takes time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringer
                    Or more to the point, why doesn't he replace his with a TOS or Beaver or Ramboudi or round column mill drill, etc etc.

And then what would he have to whine about??
                    Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

Because it's going to cost me a whole weeks lost production to get this POS Bridgeport out and a TOS or Ramboudi in.

Quickest way would be to get the roof off, hire a 70 tonnes crane for the reach needed and lift them in and out, then put a new roof on.

I may even do this in a couple of years when I start downsizing, the big TOS lathe that is in the way will be one of the first machines to go.
                      It attracts the wrong sort of work, rotors weighing 3/4 of a tonne, you have to crane in and crane out.
                      I can earn the same rate as something I can hold in one hand so why the hassle

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I do not often post links, but here is one I found while browzing: www.lindsay publications.com. They have tons of re-printed machine shop and etc books for sale at very reasonable prices.

Comment

The vertical mill was invented by Harbor Freight in 1973. End of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Al Messer
                            I do not often post links, but here is one I found while browzing: www.lindsay publications.com. They have tons of re-printed machine shop and etc books for sale at very reasonable prices.
                            Here's the link http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Stan

He's correct---I blew it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X