No announcement yet.

What Kind Of Machine Is This?

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What Kind Of Machine Is This?

    I took this picture at the North Pacific Cannery Museum at Port Edward today. The cannery was built in 1885 and ran up to around 1980.
    The machine has two independent three jaw chucks and what looks like a steady rest with a tool bit that feeds downward as if to cut off lengths of pipe.
    The light where the machine was poor so I could not see a manufacturer's name on it any where. Anybody have any idea what it would be for?


  • #2
    It's a double-chucker for the canning process. They use them in canneries.


    • #3
      Originally posted by tyrone shewlaces
      It's a double-chucker for the canning process. They use them in canneries.
      Curious as to what they use them in canneries for. Maybe in a can making line to cut can bodies to length before flanging the ends? The oldest seamer we have at work is a CANCO #1 High Speed from the 30's.



      • #4
        Originally posted by tyrone shewlaces
        It's a double-chucker for the canning process. They use them in canneries.
        That's one big mother f*cker double-chucker.

        ...I apologize for nothing.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com


        • #5
          my vote is for pipe threading. use a multi tooth threading tool in the holder.


          • #6
            I'm with 1-800miner on this one. All that stuff on the left end is to reverse the rotation to back the pipe out of the dies.
            Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.


            • #7
              Parting off

              My guess is that with two chucks, the rear one is a self-centreing spider and the front one holds the pipe/tube for the vertically or horizontally operated parting-off tool and chamfering tools.

              I have no idea whether any pipe-screwing dies are mounted or not or whether any chamfering is for starting screwing dies or as a welding preparation.

              I'd also guess that the "helm" is for moving the/a saddle along a/the bed.


              • #8
                Here is some restored shadow detail.

                Allan Ostling

                Phoenix, Arizona


                • #9
                  The fact that it is in the Cannery Museum is misleading. It has nothing whatever to do with the canning industry. It MAY have come from a machine shop nearby that supported ALL industry in that corner of BC. Remember, in the early part of the twentieth century, that area supported mining, refining, (Anyox, BC,) logging, particularly for Sitka spruce on the Queen Charlottes.
                  My guess is that it either makes pipe nipples or threads heavy bolts. Timber construction gobbled up bolts, and it would make sense to ship in HR rod and make them up there. The same arguement applies to threaded pipe.
                  Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec


                  • #10
                    Pipe threading machine with an auxiliary cutting off attachment, My guess is it might be an early machine built by Charles Winn &Co of Birmingham England
                    In a canning factory it might have come from the millwrights shop &been used to screw &cut bolt &pipe lengths in a repair capacity.


                    • #11
                      It's an extraordinarily old pipe threader,I say that because we have a slightly newer version at work.Might even be an old Oster.

                      One chuck drives the pipe the other centers it.The horizontal hand crank on the front of the carriage runs the parting tool,the vertical one up top positions a single steady rest pad that in use keeps the pipe from lifting while it's being parted off.

                      Just forward of the vertical crank is the lever that opens and closes the pipe die set.I would bet that it is a 2-1/2 to 6" capacity machine.
                      I just need one more tool,just one!


                      • #12
                        It's a belt driven machine they used at the Welfare hospital to perform circumcisions
                        No good deed goes unpunished.


                        • #13
                          Pipe Threader
                          NRA member

                          Gun control is using both hands