design leg restraints for a sheep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• design leg restraints for a sheep!

I am building a sheep shearing machine. Don't laugh it's true!

I need to be able to restrain the hind legs after the sheep is on its back on the table. Think of a Y that you push the leg into and something closes over the Y sort of like a handcuff. This needs to be a one handed operation, meaning I hold the leg and push it into the restraint and the "cuff" closes from the push of the leg. And it needs to be released one handed. I need to just reach up and push or pull something and the leg is released. I keep coming up with all sorts of elaborate contraptions. There must be a simple solution.

My wife always accuses me of making things to complicated so now I need simple.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Sounds kinky to me, but---Can you have a "fixed" jaw with two half round cut-outs in it, half the diameter of the sheeps legs, and a pair of pivotting jaws with a half round cut out on each one, hinged on one side. The leg goes in, the jaws swings shut, and latches with a "snap latch". The action of the sheeps leg being forced into the fixed jaw is what swings the pivotting jaw into the "latched" position. That way you don't have to do anything except grab the legs and push then into the fixed jaws. To release, you pull up on the latch pins and the pivotting jaws swing open, releasing the sheep.
    Brian Rupnow

Comment

It does sound a little kinky doesn't it. But I am sure our Scottish friends on this forum have already invented something!

Would your idean require releasing two latch pins per foot? Each foot needs to be released individually. I can not visualize your latch mechanism Brian.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

A board with a couple of small gumboots attached, upside down and just high enough above the table that you can slip a foot into each one.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The two legs will be approximately 18 inches apart. The restraints will pivot so as to allow the sheep to be turned on each side for shearing.

There is something available in Australia but the firm that manufactures the machines is impossible to deal with. I wanted to buy one of their machines but they do not follow through with anything they have told me they would do. This is with me working really hard to spend around 40,000 € with them. I cannot imagine what support might be like! So I decided I will build one myself.

I have everything else figured out what I want. Only the leg restraints are needed.

Comment

Like this---
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

For this amount of money you can hire dedicated leg holders and yet have a few bucks left in case you want to substitute a sheep with a more traditional object once in a while.

But you may consider the following options too:

http://www.amazon.com/Safariland-Sta...919366&sr=8-16
              Last edited by MichaelP; 06-10-2010, 11:41 PM.
              Mike
              WI/IL border, USA

Comment

This is for shearing the sheep, not recreational purposes!

Comment

That would work Brian. The latch then could be some spring loaded pin, lever actuated. Uhmmm....

Comment

I bet MiahealP must be from Scottland!

Comment

Those Germans're just unable to mix business with pleasure!
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 06-07-2010, 11:25 AM.
                      Mike
                      WI/IL border, USA

Comment

MichealP, you are funny.

I live in Germany, but I am not German!

Comment

BF,
                          What a coincidence! I live in the US, but I'm not Scottish.
                          Mike
                          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

Im voting for some padded frufru handcuffs with the easy release latch insted of requiring keys, avilable at sexshops and toy stores everywhere.
                            ... .. Err.... Thats kinda really wrong that they are avilable at those two locations.

$13 on ebay, Can't beat that...
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

3 biggest lies in Wyoming (or is that Germany):

1. I won this here belt buckle in a rodeo.
                              2. of course my pickup trucks paid for.
                              3. Your honor, I was just helping that sheep get over the fence.

Comment

Working...
                              X