Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Me Build This Thing...

I can visualize it in my mind.

The part is an insulator. It has a central fiberglass rod over which I put a thick rubber material. The very ends where the rod protrudes needs to be deflashed.

I can do that with a hollowmill. I do not want to tie up my lathe with this job so...

Somehow I need to attach that hollow mill direct to a motor that will be actuated with a foot-switch. It is one of those motors with a brake drum attached. Stomp on the switch it goes VOOM then take your foot off it stops.

The hollow-mill is a #2MT (short) shank... I need some way to attach this directly to the motor.

I assume that they sell chucks or adaptors or some nonsense like that... Something that goes over the motor shaft so I can mount the shank... but I don't know what to call it or where to source it.

I am working on the fixture/positioning system separately. The motor with the hollow-mill will fit on this.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

For a tool holder on the motor you could just find a MT2 tailstock ram and bore it to fit the motor shaft.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.
      For a tool holder on the motor you could just find a MT2 tailstock ram and bore it to fit the motor shaft.
      I thought of that moments after I posted this. I can order an entire tailstock as a "spare part" from Little Machine Shop.

...and now that I'm looking at it my hollow-mill can be detached from the shank... somehow. I should contact Genesee Tooling before I wreck it.

Thanks for the idea though Peter.
      This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
      Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
      Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Working...
      X