No announcement yet.

Feeling really old. (depressing thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling really old. (depressing thread)

Fresh results enclosed. See latest post for update...
    All I had to do was (yesterday) make a twin lead Acme LH thread. Normally I could have whipped that out in an hour, maybe three max at a stranger's shop. Took me all damn day to scrap two (machinery issues) and make one that I thought was crap. (today) drill ten .03" holes about 3/4" deep at angles (5 intersecting the other 5), which after breaking the first drill at about .1" deep I was able to shift the part and complete ten with no problem. Drill bit issue? Who knows. Anyway, since time was short I decided not to start a new part so my submission has one hole with a piece of drill bit lodged into it. Not a huge deal and the "part" would still be functional, but it also should have been cake and I should have been able to make a pretty one. The error will count against me. Also took me twice as long (or more) than it should have.
    Tomorrow I may be able to try another do-over or two, but if my choking continues I won't even have the time to try.

This job was just about in my lap and when I really needed to come through, I came across as a hack.
    I really needed this job. The alternatives are bleak and things are slipping away. If no miracles appear tomorrow, then I'm strongly considering getting out of the field. So if anybody wants a nice machine shop, I'll probably have to sell mine off anyway just to make the bills this year.

It sucks when you have salvation in your hand and you let it slip away.

All I can hope for is that everybody else isn't going through the same knocks. Normally I try to be upbeat despite the life situation, but today all I can see is bleak future and despair.

Things were so much better just a few years ago.
    Last edited by tyrone shewlaces; 09-11-2010, 10:26 PM.

Your not the Lone Ranger today my friend

Started a new job today myself. After 5 hours of some jerk off yelling at us telling us "We'll Fire you if you don't do this - We'll fire you if you do this", they give me a written proficiency test - which I promptly failed.

The only shinning hope was after the written exam they gave me the oral portion. Some how I impressed the guy hiring me enough he went back, changed a few of my answers and welcomed me on the project.

Every thing has changed since the economy went to hell. Every thing is political now with 10 or 20 "Back-Biters" waiting to sink their teeth into you at every turn

Comment

I am really shocked some one made you work in the shop before hiring you. You did not miss out on a whole, a shop that is run like that is a ticking bomb. I usually hire them so they are covered with workers comp in case they get hurt. I am not that fortunate enough around here to find people that know which end of the drill bit to use......so you ain't the only one feeling bad.

Comment

THIS job didn't work out, maybe another one will come along.

I just pick myself up and move on to the next thing. That's how I got out of plastic into machining then sheetmetal then back to plastic.

Just keep trying. Don't give up.
        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
        Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Don't let the depression keep you down. You have done this work, You can do this work. Think positive and go to sleep tonight dreaming of doing your best work ever tomorrow! Push away any negative thought only think positively. Don't rush make sure your prep is proper and complete and show those people what you can do. Best of luck we're all pulling for you!

Jim Doherty

Comment

About thirty years ago I worked in a shop where the foreman was a proficient machinist and a good guy to boot. He told me when the company first hired him (as a foreman), on his second day at work he had set up an almost new lathe to do a job, hit the power and the chuck (complete with workpiece in it) started wobbling, came flying off the machine, and went rolling across the floor. It had a cam-lock spindle and he had only loosely tightened one of the six cams. Must have been good for some red ears and tight jaws. Anyway, they saw his potential and kept him around.

Comment

I have a history of doing unconventional things to get jobs, customers etc. Occasionally, rarely actually, it leads to acute embarrassment ...more times it leads to getting noticed out of the pack.

if you really think you performed so far below you potential you've risked not getting it, Id' Show up tomorrow morning with a well prepared letter to the decision maker. Say I was extremely disappointed in my work today and thought at lot about it. Here's what i did wrong and how i should have done it, then go at point form. details good here, it shows you know what you are doing

Conclude with by saying I very much want this job. I can work under pressure but the stress of a test I so badly wanted to do well at combined with working in an unfamiliar shop produced performance that i don't find acceptable.

In writing this the hope is it would convey that i do know how to work professionally and while the anxiety was counter productive to the test performance, my really wanting to work here will be a positive in the long run. If my test results are standing in the way of this job I'd like to have the chance to discuss in person to better communicate and demonstrate the abilities i know i'd bring.

Some co's will toss it, depends on the size/culture and hiring practice....but what have you got to lose? if you don't get it because of the test you're out a few hours of writing, but maybe it'll make you stand out in a positive way
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-10-2010, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Hmm- I started a new job today- same as I was doing a few years ago, cabinetmaking. Same boss, different shop. I'm sure wondering though if I should have gone back to this, or tried to get something else- place I was last working laid me off for two weeks- six weeks ago.

Feeling really old? I can tell I'm starting to run out of steam- just starting to, mind you- and I'm seeing two other of the guys who are ahead of me looking really tired. If I retire at 65, I have 5 yrs to go. These are the years that I have to be productive so I have half a chance at least of keeping the house and staying mobile. Doesn't look like all roses ahead, but things can turn around overnite. Stay positive.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Like Joefin said,your not the Lone Ranger.I think something is in the air right now.Did a job over the weekend,everything that could go wrong did go wrong.$650 in stainless in the balances and a customers production schedule thrown in for the fun of it.They had trouble doing they're end,I had trouble doing mine,job looked not as good as I like,but it got them through,got me paid and they are happy.

Tomorrow is another day,drink a could one,relax and let it happen.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks for the support, and I'm sorry to hear there's so much empathy to go around.
                    This test would undoubtedly go much better on the equipment at the job location. It happens at the local tech school - set up and paid for by the company and worked out in cooperation with the school. Doesn't help that there are a couple dozen students buzzing around all day either, but the theory is the other candidates are subjected to the same abuse. Also doesn't help that there were unusual quirks with the lathe which, since I know them now, would half the time it took and produce good parts instead of crap. Of course now the quirks are fixed by me, and I was first to go, so the rest of the candidates can thank me for fixing their machine for them.

We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'm not optimistic - I have perseverance so I'm not giving up until tomorrow is over. But I am realistic too and things aren't looking good. I could use another day after tomorrow. Been studying things all evening and I'm one shade of light gray sharper than I was at 4:00.
                    I'm off to bed. Being tired won't help tomorrow.

Comment

Good luck and wish you the best.

Comment

I got tired of that crap the first year after I retired. All of the jobs I went to interview for were paying about 50% of what I retired at, and nobody said it, but I could tell they were looking for somebody a lot younger than I am....the reason nobody said anything was because that's an age discrimination lawsuit right there.

The only jobs available that welcomed my experience and age were minimum wage jobs, like clerking in a convenience store, or counter sales in an auto parts store. I soon discovered I was better off not working...especially when it came to income tax.

Trust me, you think working in a shop is stressful, try selling "Slim Jim's" and beer to juvenile delinquents and career criminals for a living. It didn't take long to realize that my life was only worth the $35 I kept in the cash register.
                        Not worth $8 an hour.
                        Selling auto parts? Yeah, everything was going well, until business dropped off (recession), then the boss started blaming me because customers were not streaming in the door....What do you want, you want me to stand in the middle of the street and wave people down?
                        Anyway, I'm retired, now. So don't aske me to go apply for a job like that.
                        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                          I have a history of doing unconventional things to get jobs, customers etc. Occasionally, rarely actually, it leads to acute embarrassment ...more times it leads to getting noticed out of the pack.

if you really think you performed so far below you potential you've risked not getting it, Id' Show up tomorrow morning with a well prepared letter to the decision maker. Say I was extremely disappointed in my work today and thought at lot about it. Here's what i did wrong and how i should have done it, then go at point form. details good here, it shows you know what you are doing

Conclude with by saying I very much want this job. I can work under pressure but the stress of a test I so badly wanted to do well at combined with working in an unfamiliar shop produced performance that i don't find acceptable.

In writing this the hope is it would convey that i do know how to work professionally and while the anxiety was counter productive to the test performance, my really wanting to work here will be a positive in the long run. If my test results are standing in the way of this job I'd like to have the chance to discuss in person to better communicate and demonstrate the abilities i know i'd bring.

Some co's will toss it, depends on the size/culture and hiring practice....but what have you got to lose? if you don't get it because of the test you're out a few hours of writing, but maybe it'll make you stand out in a positive way
                          Take Mcgyver's advice, a good boss wants responsible workers, a letter lie that proves you are. If they don't take a second look @ you, its not going to be a good place to work. Good luck.
                          john
                          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

This is true so don't discount it, learn how to deal with it:

Worry, Fear, Anger, Guilt and Vengeance are the 5 debilitating emotions. They serve no one. Confidence on the other hand can often times help you. Believe in yourself and start now.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by tyrone shewlaces
                              Thanks for the support, and I'm sorry to hear there's so much empathy to go around.
                              This test would undoubtedly go much better on the equipment at the job location. It happens at the local tech school - set up and paid for by the company and worked out in cooperation with the school. Doesn't help that there are a couple dozen students buzzing around all day either, but the theory is the other candidates are subjected to the same abuse. Also doesn't help that there were unusual quirks with the lathe which, since I know them now, would half the time it took and produce good parts instead of crap. Of course now the quirks are fixed by me, and I was first to go, so the rest of the candidates can thank me for fixing their machine for them.

We'll see how tomorrow goes. I'm not optimistic - I have perseverance so I'm not giving up until tomorrow is over. But I am realistic too and things aren't looking good. I could use another day after tomorrow. Been studying things all evening and I'm one shade of light gray sharper than I was at 4:00.
                              I'm off to bed. Being tired won't help tomorrow.

It sucks bro, but you have to remain optimistic - you have to have a spark, persistence alone won't cut it, nobody want's to hire someone who walks in without enthusiasm and even if you have to dunk your head in a cold bucket of ice water before you go then so be it,
                              If you really feel like you let yourself down don't let the cycle continue --- now's your time to totally rock, if you walk in with a defeatist attitude then you will get defeatist results,
                              I really like Mcgyvers approach --- but I would change one thing, I would write up the letter and have it all prepared, I would add what you stated in having to deal with in initially setting things up on the lathe but I would carefully word it as to not bring in the other guys that followed you having it easier (point being is your not nobody's victim) I would then go in and totally set the place on fire (figure of speech) THEN when leaving make the decision on whether I need to leave the letter to explain about the first day being butterflies, depends on the situation.

The thing is - is that the door hasn't closed yet, your foots still in it...

Difference being is your REALLY going in with something to prove now, You can either let this cripple you or awaken a tiger, don't just persevere - your not there to just get through the day - set the freekin place on fire (figure of speech) Git-er-done, (and good luck to you)

(If you guys think this is a "pep talk" you should have heard my Dad!)

Comment

Working...
                              X