how to bypass computer passwords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to bypass computer passwords

I have aquired a couple of computers from the local scrapyard when I start them a box appears asking for name and password is there any way of changing these or bypassing them.
    Any help much appreciated.
    MBB

You might try resetting the BIOS.

JL...................

Comment

You could try pulling the BIOS battery if there is no BIOS reset. You may have to wait a bit before trying again. Some of the newer BIOS have a flash memory of some sort. I have been told that these systems can be nearly impossible to change the password on if you don't know the old one.

rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

You can pull the hard drive and replace it with a new one and install an older operating system inexpensively.

Jim Doherty

Comment

Google "resetting windows password" and you will find step by step instructions on how to do it.

I did that a couple years ago and it worked fine.

Brian
          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Maybe help

Some time people are too lazy to establish names and set passwords. Just clicking Enter when the screen appears is sometimes just may be enough to get it. Maybe try simple passwords like: password.
            Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

Please clarify. Does the password box also request a user name? Or, is it just a password? Also, what is the screen background colour at that time?
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

easy

If its windows 2k or XP there is free downloadable software that will tell you the admin password. The once you get in disable all the other passwords.

You load the software onto a cd and then change the bios to boot from the cd and follow the instructions.

Its pretty easy if u know what your doing

Comment

post by Evan
                  Please clarify. Does the password box also request a user name? Or, is it just a password? Also, what is the screen background colour at that time?

When computer is switched on it tells maker [H Packard]
                  after approx 2 seconds the windows xp logo appears
                  then th monitor switches off for 5 second
                  It then switches the monitor back on and a box appears asking name and underneath password.
                  The background is patterned with acouple of double helixes.
                  I can only turn off computer by pulling out power supply cable.
                  MBB

Comment

Open the computer and look on the motherboard for a coin cell lithium battery. Remove the battery for an hour and replace it. Make note of the polarity. Then try starting it.

This may not work as sounds like there may be some custom boot software installed or a hardware based system recovery card.

One thing you can try is to enter the username "admin" and leave the password blank. Then press enter.
                    Last edited by Evan; 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by milsurpcollector
                      If its windows 2k or XP there is free downloadable software that will tell you the admin password. The once you get in disable all the other passwords.

You load the software onto a cd and then change the bios to boot from the cd and follow the instructions.

This worked for me when I bought my last computer.
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by milsurpcollector

So much for security !!

Comment

The Bios password feature of some computers is only intended to keep the casual bypasser from turning on the computer and causing a problem. The hardware login credentials are stored in the motherboard CMOS and that memory is erased by removing the battery in most cases. Of course if a casual bypasser (like a co-worker) messes with your machine, it will be obvious because the next time you turn it on, there will be either no password or a warning banner that the CMOS has been messed with.

As far as the security built into the operating system... anything that can be done , can be undone with enough time, money and resources. They only keep honest people honest...

Comment

Good call Evan on the exact order of boot-up and when the password is requested. In malbenbut's initial post, it sounded as if it was a BIOS based password. Now it is sounding as though it is a 3rd party boot sector type program.

Will be watching the thread to see the results. Puzzles are fun.

rock~
                            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Yep,anybody that has direct access to the console (the actual machine) can gain access to the operating system. There is no completely secure operating system.

In this case though it appears to be a non-standard log in screen. It is also appearing very quickly. XP takes more than 5 seconds to throw up the password request. HP is (in)famous for messing with XP.

Comment

Working...
                              X