Remember the Early '70's Craftsman Tool Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remember the Early '70's Craftsman Tool Sets

One of the first things I bought after moving out from my parents home was the $79. Craftsman Tool set.
    In that set was a very handy set of magnets that would slip up inside a socket to hold the bolt or nut in place. My brother-in-law bought that set but he no longer has his magnets. I told him I would look online for some. I can't find any.
    Are they made by anyone anymore?

Just buy a bunch of neodymium magnets. $4 for a pack 5, 1/2 in magnets.

Comment

I still have mine, in the plastic pouch the came in!!!

THANX RICH

People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!
      People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Never tried theese but the price is right for a test run http://cgi.ebay.com/Magnetic-Socket-...0129%26ps%3D50

Comment

Yep, remember them well....

Forget the magnets and use a sheet of paper towel.
          Hold the sheet over the end of the socket, stuff the bolt or nut into the socket, then tear off the excess. Cheap and it works!

Comment

I always kept a tool set of the lowest price in my ragged-out Mustang. That way if it got stolen I wouldn't be out too much.

One day I was changing the water pump (again) in my apartment's parking lot. When I was removing the last bolt, it resisted then felt "funny" as it turned. Of course I had broken the bolt off in the block. This was a disaster! I had no money for a tow or a repair! I reached down to pull the bolt out and it wouldn't budge. I was confused. I happened to look at the socket and it was round on the inside. The cheese-lead alloy socket had stripped out. I borrowed a Craftsman 1/2" socket from my room mate and completed the job.

The cheese-lead tool set went in the dumpster.

Comment

Canadian Tire sells those inserts still.

Comment

Originally posted by Highpower
                Yep, remember them well....

Forget the magnets and use a sheet of paper towel.
                Hold the sheet over the end of the socket, stuff the bolt or nut into the socket, then tear off the excess. Cheap and it works!

I always cut a 1/8" or 1/16" strip of electrical tape and put it in one side of the socket. Works quite well and will last for several bolts or nuts. If one isn't enough, put a second one opposite to it.
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                X