Weakness for certain stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weakness for certain stuff

Rather than highjack Liger Zero's thread on having an assortment of mold releases on hand, I decided to try this new thread. I too like to have an assortment of certain materials on hand, and I have particular weaknesses for buying certain things: I buy any new types of tapes , such as duct tapes, special repair tapes, etc. The really neat industrial specialty tapes are not found at the big box stores, but at places like flea markets and surplus and used tool shops. I also buy, on sight, nearly anything new I find in a spray can , such as cleaners, oils, greases, light lubricants, penetrating oils, etc. I buy any new rust preventative spray I see. I buy glues and cements of all types, such as epoxies , super glues, wood glues, etc. I buy metal wire, in an assortment of materials and gauges. I tend to buy small quantities of paints , paint removers, primers, and clear spray coatings. I buy putty and caulkings of all types, just to have a variety on hand. I tend to buy assortments of specialty fasteners such as stainless sheet metal screws, deck screws, and every type of nail known to man. I suppose if I look back at the "stuff" I just can't resist buying, they're mostly repair materials for small jobs. Tape, lubricants, cleaners, glues, wire, paint, caulkings, and fasteners. It may be a compulsion, but it does makes sense. What are your passions for purchasing ?

Mine is anything that says 3M, DuPont or Loctite.

Also anything that is a really good deal, makes no difference if I need of or have use for it, somebody stop me!

Definitely tape, also spray type lube/paint etc. never met a spray can I didn't like, oh and bearings, I really like bearings

Comment

Originally posted by Bill736
      Rather than highjack Liger Zero's thread on having an assortment of mold releases on hand, I decided to try this new thread. I too like to have an assortment of certain materials on hand, and I have particular weaknesses for buying certain things: I buy any new types of tapes , such as duct tapes, special repair tapes, etc. The really neat industrial specialty tapes are not found at the big box stores, but at places like flea markets and surplus and used tool shops. I also buy, on sight, nearly anything new I find in a spray can , such as cleaners, oils, greases, light lubricants, penetrating oils, etc. I buy any new rust preventative spray I see. I buy glues and cements of all types, such as epoxies , super glues, wood glues, etc. I buy metal wire, in an assortment of materials and gauges. I tend to buy small quantities of paints , paint removers, primers, and clear spray coatings. I buy putty and caulkings of all types, just to have a variety on hand. I tend to buy assortments of specialty fasteners such as stainless sheet metal screws, deck screws, and every type of nail known to man. I suppose if I look back at the "stuff" I just can't resist buying, they're mostly repair materials for small jobs. Tape, lubricants, cleaners, glues, wire, paint, caulkings, and fasteners. It may be a compulsion, but it does makes sense. What are your passions for purchasing ?
      You must also have a passion for purchasing numerous storage units(as do I)....including drawers, shelving, cabinets, etc.
      John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Shopoholics Anonymous

"My name is Joe, and I am a shopoholic"

Guys, do you want to talk about it?

Mike
        WI/IL border, USA

Comment

I try not to buy any excess paints/caulks/sealants, as usally when I open a 5+ year old bottle of something like that, its allready seperated, set, cracked or cloged itself.

Oils, petro spray products.. got whole shelfs of em.
          got a whole drawer of bearings I bought..
          And I usally buy all my metal in 6'+ lengths, even if I only need a few inchs, just so i'll have plenty of that size for the next job.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I like gloves. tig, mig, cotton, rubber coated, leather, welding, utility, mechanic, cold weather, surgical, etc. . (I'm actually putting together an order for some new welding styles that I don't have)

Comment

Sounds like many of us have the same symptoms ...

Problem with several of these things as others have pointed out, is that some only last so long just sitting around waiting for occasional use. Certainly with spray cans and propellant and caulking. Even Loctite is supposed to have a shelf life (but some have found otherwise). Masking and other types of tape loose their adhesive and dry up over time.

I guess it depends on your environmental conditions and how much they fluctuate.

It is nice to have things in stock when you need them. But I guess maybe there can too much? I say this after discovering 10 cans of spray paint that no longer spray ... at least I got to use most of them once.
              "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

I've got just the opposite problem. I have to absolutely force myself to buy just about anything. I just don't want to own stuff like I once did. I'll spend good money for the few things that I really want, though.
                Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Different materials for different applications. You limit yourself to one "solution" for every situation you limit abilities... and technology passes you by.
                  This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                  Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                  Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

I'm with Winchman.
                    I have to force myself to buy things.
                    "Do I REEAALLLYYY need that?"
                    I just hate clutter, and tripping over useless crap in the shop.
                    My wife hates it when I help clean as well, because I just start pitching stuff in the garbage.

Comment

Funds limit my spending, if a guy doesn't have the money he can't buy stuff.
                      Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                        Funds limit my spending, if a guy doesn't have the money he can't buy stuff.
                        Companies like 3M and Loktite love to send free samples. Just ask.
                        This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                        Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

I'm at the level now with my machining expertise that I am trying to corner the market on microns. I've got literally millions of them and hope someday to good enough to actually put them to good use.

Actually, for me it's boxes and tin cans of screws, nuts and bolts that aren't rusty. I have nearly a hundred of every type of nut and bolt I could use in my small machine shop. I love not having to go to the hardware. Also buy aluminum, brass and steel stock from yard sales and flea markets if it looks like it may be useful and I can get it for 2 or 3 bucks.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Does bridgeport give out sample mills?
                            Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt
                              Does bridgeport give out sample mills?
                              Yes, I signed up with six different email addresses and they should all arrive Monday.

Comment

Working...
                              X