OMG! Actual quality tools at Lowe's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OMG! Actual quality tools at Lowe's?

What's the world coming to?I was strolling through the local Lowe's picking up some EMT when something caught my eye.

Actual Knipex pump pliers,made in Germany,for $22.I had been looking for a new pair and wanted some that were compact,but strong.These fit those requirements nicely.

Also spotted a General Tool IR thermometer for $40 and realised I'd better leave before I was broke
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Hmm ... Knipex must have gone down hill in quality

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
      Or the shipments got mixed up.

Darren Harris
      Staten Island, New York.

Comment

I swear to god...
        After reading the many confirmations that even quality companies will produce a sub-par product for the big-box stores with nearly identical product numbers as their standard, quality offering...

I don't trust anything to be what you think it is in any big-box store. That doesn't mean I don't own plenty of hand tools from such, though Gotta be honest.

Comment

Trsut me these are the real deal,I "tested" them before buying

Comment

Copy

I think that some might be quite surprised at how big Germany's exports are worth, how good its products are, how well it does in exporting and what a great manufacturing base it has.

Germany seems to have rolled its sleeves up and got its hands dirty and made its manufacturing what it is through sheer hard and very good work - without complaining about any other country - China and Asia etc. included.

Perhaps the US ecomomy and manufacturing base could do worse than taking a leaf out of Germany's book/s.

Comment

I don't know how strict Germany is but in the USA if 51% of the value is made in the USA you can say it is made in USA. After seeing alot of companies pull fast ones I don't trust them unless the tool is actually marked USA or Germany. Some think they are slick >>>> printed in USA then made in India is hidden some where else on the package.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                I don't know how strict Germany is but in the USA if 51% of the value is made in the USA you can say it is made in USA. After seeing alot of companies pull fast ones I don't trust them unless the tool is actually marked USA or Germany. Some think they are slick >>>> printed in USA then made in India is hidden some where else on the package.

Kind of like Irwin sawblades. Irwin, that is owned by Newall Rubbermaid and also owns Lenox, and there was (and may still be) a big Irwin banner on the side of American Saw (where Lenox blades come from).

Big letters Made in USA, and in little letters 'made in USA from global components'. Its a fricken bandsaw blade, how many components are there? I'm guessing ONE, and a weld.

Do you really think the Lenox blades are coming off a different roll of stock than the Irwin blades. They won't answer my e-mails, and their tech line never ever picks up.

These are also the same people that own Vise Grip and shoveled it over seas to save half a penny.

What do you expect from a company that makes trash cans.

Comment

There will likely be a recall on them. Note that the handle covering is the old standard normal thickness. Now a days most handled tools have 5" thick chinese rubber on them to make them look more powerful. Two pair of pliers in your tool drawer and it's full. Wait until they start using telephone poles for screwdriver handles.
                  Last edited by Your Old Dog; 06-13-2010, 07:56 AM.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                    I think that some might be quite surprised at how big Germany's exports are worth, how good its products are, how well it does in exporting and what a great manufacturing base it has.

Germany seems to have rolled its sleeves up and got its hands dirty and made its manufacturing what it is through sheer hard and very good work - without complaining about any other country - China and Asia etc. included.

Perhaps the US ecomomy and manufacturing base could do worse than taking a leaf out of Germany's book/s.
                    I don't know about that,very rarely do we see any German products on the shelves here.That's one reason it surprised me.

My boss once took his wife on a vacation in Switzerland,he being a tool addict as well sought out and found the Swiss equivalent of a mom and pop hardware store to see what they were like.

The only US made tools he noticed on the shelves there were Vise-Grip pliers,which said something about Vice Grips at the time.

Fast forward Vice-Grip finds itself moved to China,the quality has dropped,they no longer lock positively like they used to and the jaws are prone to falling out yet they now cost more after the move.

Now I'm not knocking the Chinese,they have the ability to produce a good product,I am knocking Vise-Grip aka Irwin tool for reducing a good tool to a mediocre one.

I wrote a letter to Irwin and asked them if since they had built they're business for years by having that little American flag right on the front of they're product packs would they now proudly display the Chinese flag as well? I never got a response.

Comment

well when it comes to vice grips i like my pertersons, Vise-Grip Irwin are far bettter then mastercraft ones that can even hold or grip anything other then a lawn mower handel..

the germans make some good stuff as do the russians, and the chinese are also making some very nice stuff, to..

to me tool quaility is importante, i do have to agree how ever that most all tool companys put out good sutff and junk stuff that just looks good, how fooled i was when i bout my 5 peice vice grip set from mastercraft, you cant even give me craftsman tools for free i wont use them anymore total garbadge there..

stanley has come along way in the tool making industry and i have now 2 of there socket sets and am impressed as hell with them , even there screw drivers are great,

i also like my herbrand gray and the snap on stuff i have but the stanely get used more often these days ,,

i have also been impressed with pitbull tools as well as powerbuilt they also seem really good,

most my air tools are CH but i have also started buying somona and they are alot less money but the quailty is excellent ,

Comment

I was at an Irwin plant auction after they lost in court!! Most of the retailers are the greedy ones, for example we purchase an item direct from the manufacture in China and with shipping it costs $16 USD well, this gets better. MSC sells the same item with the SPI brand on it for $129 who is greedy and stabbing us in the back. Another big joke is Kennametal, all I bought for years was Kennametal this and that. A couple of years ago I bought new cat 40's and the box said made in India!!!!!!!!!!!! I PAID TOP DOLLAR, USA MADE PRICE FOR THEM. Since then we no longer buy anything Kennametal. Royal pulled the same crap, I was very excited to pick up Royal as a supplier until our initial purchase arrived, the collets we just paid TOP DOLLAR, USA MADE PRICE FOR were marked India. Guess what, it all went back to Royal and we have not even considered ordering from them. You might as well buy from Harbor Freight and Shars and save the money because it appears like it all comes from the same places.
                        Last edited by squirrel; 06-13-2010, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bobw53
                          Do you really think the Lenox blades are coming off a different roll of stock than the Irwin blades. They won't answer my e-mails, and their tech line never ever picks up.
                          I got 1 word for you - Morse

I've had the same problem trying to find quality cutting blades. Even some of the smaller Starrett blades are of Chinese origin. But so far not Morse

In the years since World War II, Morse has operated under the ownership of a number of companies, including Gulf+Western. The current owners, a group of American investors, purchased the company from a Scottish manufacturing concern, and are committed to upholding the Morse reputation for high-quality, American-made cutting tools.

http://www.morsecuttingtools.com/cgi...OUT?PAMENU=7_1
                          Morse even allows you to buy directly from them now

http://www.morsecuttingtools.com/cgi...MSC?PAMENU=5_1

Comment

Originally posted by Fasttrack
                            Could be, but I'm betting the low price is a result of the collapse of the Euro. That decline is definitely helping European exports.
                            Jim

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                              I wrote a letter to Irwin and asked them if since they had built they're business for years by having that little American flag right on the front of they're product packs would they now proudly display the Chinese flag as well? I never got a response.

Good for you. I managed to buy one of the Vice Grip "Toolbox" multi-tools before Rubbermaid shut down the Dewit NE facilities. The Chinese knock offs with the VG logo are not even close to the same tool.

I too noticed the Knipex tools at Lowes and made a mental note for future purchases.

Comment

Working...
                              X