Help With Internal Splines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help With Internal Splines

If you guys remember back several weeks ago I posted some pics of my Clausing 5900 cross slide as I was in the process of replacing the screw due to excessive wear. Well Clausing service center really pissed me off. After I replaced the screw and tightened down the rear bearing support on the back of the taper attachment I could feel the screw bind as I rotated the hand weel. After screwing around with it for several hours I took it out for furthur inspection and what I found was the tail of the shaft has about .005 runout in it. Thats enough to make it bind as well as cause excessive wear and inaccurate machining. The original screw has about .0005 runout. Very acceptable. After talking to the tech at Clausing and explaining the problem to him he checked the other remaining shafts they had in inventory and they all were the same as far as runout. Some outside shop makes these screws for them and I know exactly why there is .004 runout in all of them. The screws are made on a CNC and then put in another lathe and the tails are finished. We all know what happens when you remove something from the chuck and either put it back in or worse yet put it in another machine. Unless you have a really accurate macine or a chuck that you can zero with the part in it your most likley going to have some runout. Where in this case it's unacceptable.
    So........ I can make the screw on my machine no problem with a full profile threadding insert. The only problem is I can't spline the inside.
    I've done internal key ways on pulleys and sprockets but they are easy. Anyone have any suggestions on How I might broach the hole out?? and if I can use my rotory table as an indexing head.

TNX.............. JL

Do you have a shaper or a shaper attachment for a vertical mill?

Another option would be to mount the rotary table on a lathe faceplate, lock the spindle and use the carriage to provide the reciprocating motion.

However, I would seriously consider having the internal splines cut with an EDM. I had to make some chuck adjusting screws which required internal square holes. The most cost effective way was to send them out to be cut with an EDM.

Comment

I regularly internally spline shafts on my lathe. In fact I just came in from blanking up one I will spline tomorrow. I have a 9" South Bend that I built an indexing head to go on the left end of the spindle. I use a boring bar toolholder and then use the carriage to broach the splines, roughly .002 per pass to depth, index the spindle and then broach the next spline. I have done internal and external straight splines and internal V splines or serrations.
      A picture of the parts I made, they were made 100% on my lathe.

The indexing plate on my headstock.

Last edited by Mcruff; 06-14-2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Joe,
        That just not right, bet they had the correct price though.

Your experience is in particular, one of the reasons why I decided not to purchase the $475 5914 lead screw from Clausing, suspecting that current products may not be up to the original standards and opted for a rolled acme thread and modify the ends as needed.

Sorry, no help on the spline!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
          Joe,
          That just not right, bet they had the correct price though.

Your experience is in particular, one of the reasons why I decided not to purchase the $475 5914 lead screw from Clausing, suspecting that current products may not be up to the original standards and opted for a rolled acme thread and modify the ends as needed.

Sorry, no help on the spline!
          Ken..... your right, they had the price right, screw and nut for the 5913.... $265. The replacment parts are definatly not original old stock as the original parts were made with pride back then.

JL...................

Comment

Working...
          X