No announcement yet.

So now that you are retired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You guys are making me ill....or jealous. Who retires at 45?.Jeeeze.

Comment

Not who, but HOW do you retire at 45? I have well enough money to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, but INSURANCE is the killer of my "R" plan. There is just no good (read affordable) way to self insure that I can find, and my company insurance would only last a year if I pulled the pin now.

Big Sigh..... I had better get back to work.

Comment

How to get out early? Often by pure luck - big $$ working spouse, stock market, Dot com boom/bust, lottery, inheritance etc... but.. working a lifetime of average wage generally doesn't do it. You just have to make the best of what's available.

Comment

Originally posted by garagemark
          Not who, but HOW do you retire at 45? I have well enough money to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, but INSURANCE is the killer of my "R" plan. There is just no good (read affordable) way to self insure that I can find, and my company insurance would only last a year if I pulled the pin now.

Big Sigh..... I had better get back to work.
          I was a cop for many years. After 20 years they pick up the full tab for med insurance for the whole family. But.... Whats kinda funny is I dont even use that option. My wife is still working. Shes got 20 more years to go. Poor girl We use her employer's (Wellpoint) insurance.

She makes a good income (Nurse case manager) but my pension and other income from investments still pays most of the bills. With just enough left over to supply the home shop. Shhhh!!!! I think I hear her now

Anyway.. Im loving life right now. But.... Just when yer comfortable life WILL throw a curve ball atcha. So.. Im always making sure to live well within our range of income. Ya never know what can happen right...

Hmmmm, what shall I do today JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

JR:

You aren't retired, you've just changed careers. Now you are the house-hubby.
            You ain't retired, until the youngest finally, and forever moves out - good luck!

Comment

Retired ?
              Can't wait but I don't think I will be able to without either selling the shop up or moving.

Problem is people know I'm here and even if I retired they wouldn't stop coming. two customers are very worried I only have two years left and both have told me they are more than willing to pay pound notes for jobs.

Took two pics of the entrance to the shop this morning from two angles

All that lot is wanted by Monday lunch.

Retirement ? What's that.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s
                JR:

You ain't retired, until the youngest finally, and forever moves out - good luck!
                They might move out of the house but they still live in your wallet LOL
                Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

When I was 53 my plant shut down and I decided to try "retirement" for a while, which ended up being for 5 years. It took a while to get used to (maybe 6 months) but retirement life is good I found out.

I also found out there were things that came up that caused me to plant $10K here and there (weddings for the two girls, a sewer line came through...and a couple other things...)... so after five years I went back to work...at age 59.8 or so.

Doing what? What those guys that used to work for me did! I got a union job in the same industry where I worked as an engineer. Who needs all the BS that goes with the salary position when you are only going to work thee years anyway? That was just short of 5 years ago. The surprising thing is that making new friends in a different environment is kind of cool. I like the work (doing it this time), like the people I work with, and like the fact that I am paid for every minute and really have much more control of my life than I did in the previous one. If I want a day of I just take it off. Granted I don't get paid for that day but I don' t have to kiss a$$ for it either. Life is good.

While retired I used to wonder how I got anything done while I worked. Everyday is Sunday when you are retired. Really is. Take a vacation...come back when you want, any time... you set the pace and the time line.

Funniest thing is that while I look forward to retiring again, I don't feel the need to rush it. I like doing what I am doing. I like the people. I like the job. And I don't feel bad at all about driving into work in the morning.

I guess what I am trying to say is that work is not all that bad either...Retirement is better really, if you have the cash you need.

For me, the greatest novelty was going back to work and actually having someone PAY ME FOR DOING SOMETHING. When retired not only did I work for free, but I had to buy the materials too! For my own use of course. But getting paid to work on things after paying to do work for my self over those 5 years really ticked me to death. Still does a little now...

Next time I throw in the towel will be for real. I will have to pay my own health insurance again...for me and the wife...and buy all the materials I need to do work around the place...

At 63.5 now I realize this is the last real job I will likely have. I can work it as long as I like (unions do offer some positive things to the little guy...)

Retirement is good. Working is good too. If you really like what you do then don't think that retirement will be better. It might be, but it might not be.

In my case it was better, but not by that much. If the difference were that great I would quit today (I could I think). But I don't feel the need to. And I have five years of retirement under my belt so I DO KNOW what it is about...

Just thought I would mention this for those who may be on the fence...

Comment

John, you have been holding out on us. I thought you had a dirt floor in you shop?You have room for at least two more b'ports. ;-)
                    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by bob_s
                      JR:

Oh yeah, I LOVE my kids. But they are at school most of the day anyway. But Im still here anytime they need me. I just wish they were more into the mechanics of the shop. My son isnt. But lemme say. My girl is loving the shop. Loves all the machines and "STUFF" in there. Shes a lil young at 6 to be getting her too involved. But she loves to play with dads toys.

Some day Ill have to come up with a project that she will enjoy after its done. Something that she can kinda help out with and it will be hers to keep. It would be nice to think she will be interested in mechanics, but she really is a girlie girl but has a side of her that is interested in dads toys. I think she just wants to spend time with me. That will prolly evaporate after not too long.

But yeah, I love my kids and thats a side benny for being retired. I can give them ALL of me, whatever they want. Thats a good thing..... JR

Comment

Originally posted by dockrat
                        They might move out of the house but they still live in your wallet LOL
                        Hahaha.. Other than school they are on their own after they move out. We have a school account set up for each of them. And we started when they were young. Well, they are young. But younger, when they were born. And its a drain on the income.

I was against it, I never went to college. But my wife was in college for 9 years and is all for college. I was thinking the military is good enough. So anyway, she won that battle. But there is a compromise. If the kids dont go to college then that money will be our vacation travel fund. The kids dont get it unless they go to school. No sitting around on their azz living off the money while trying to figure out what they want to do in life. Life just hit you at 18. Live it or die trying. Im hoping they live it and go to school. JR

Comment

JR,

Enjoy that little girl. My only granddaughter has graduated, is moving a couple hundred miles to live with her Dad to go to school. She's been my Soccer Buddy for more than 12 years. Took her to ALL her practices, left work early every Saturday to take her to games, and watched her play in every game in High School.

No more of that, and I am at a loss. I have 2 grandsons coming up, 7 and 5, and have possibly 12 years of encouraging them, but past 65, I don't know if I will be there.

If you want something for the baby girl to do in the shop, try a jig saw. Reciprocating bench top. The beauty of them is that they are less prone to cutting fingers off. Band saw will cut your hand off, pushing too hard. Jig saws reciprocate, you get bit, the blade rises and you can pull your thumb back without losing it.

I've been a shooter all my life. Bought the boys Remington Bird Hunter for the Wii yesterday. They and Mom and Dad love it. The boys want me to teach them to shoot, Mom wants me to teach them to shoot, even take them to trap shoots, which I did for a good few years.

I think I have found where to will all my guns. My Grands. My kid is less PC, I guess, than most mothers. I took them to a store some time back and tried to buy them cap pistols, the 7 YO said "Mom would never let us have GUNS." I told Mom that and she said "I LOVED capguns when I was a kid."

Trouble is that they are all crap, today. They don't shoot, they don't feed.

I don't KNOW if I can buy an air rifle that is child sized. I know I can buy a .22 that is. I think Mom is OK with that. Dad, I don't know. He was pretty well sheltered in his upbringing.

I'll see. Personally, I am no longer into cased cartridge shooting, today. I'm more into BP revolvers. I think I could let the boys shoot a .36 with minimal loads.

Cheers,

George

Ps, Ain't a one of them gonna hold up my 4 pound 9 ounce Walker. Dislocated shoulder a year ago, and not treated, Doc said Xray says No, I have trouble holding it up.

Comment

George,about ripped my left arm off my body 1 1/2 years ago in a MC wreck(head to toe race leathers saved big time).No docs,but in talking with several athletes who'd been through same....and a little research found that any surgery was mainly for cosmetic reasons.Maybe if I was 18 but no way in mid 50's...it's too intrusive of a surgery.

Bought a Smith machine and worked through it........shoulder's good enough that I can still shoot traditional archery equip(50# recurves).Best of luck,BW.

PS,I tried retirement....lasted about 5 minutes.Nothing really changed?Still in the shop everyday.

Comment

BWS,
                              In my prime, a 45# recurve was about all I could draw. THAT one, if you can believe, that GD and a Gson managed to break one of the limbs off in my basement, playing, not with IT, I don't think, but just playing. They were maybe 6 and 3.

This shoulder has been screwed up for about 16 months. I thought it was bursitis. Had that once before. Later decided to go to the Doc. I don't go there often. He says "Gotta get an Xray before you are allowed to get an MRI. Tech who shot it said, "Yep, that's a dislocation." Doc says "No, the guy who reads them says it's not dislocated." I asked why in the hell does it still hurt after near a year and he says he doesn't know.

Exercise is not, I think, what I need, for this shoulder. Unless you think that "no pain, no gain" is still the goal of exercise. I can get lots of pain with little effort just lifting to horizontal. I should be gaining lots.

Love being retired. Hope some more of you can get here before you die. I, for one, never thought I wanted to die in harness.

Never saw a headstone that was inscribed "I wish I had spent more time at work."

Cheers,

George

Comment

It's wise to retire while you can still move without too much pain. I had a terrible orthopedic problem with my left hip and it took a long time to fix. While I was recuperating, I looked around and checked my finances and determined that I was not going to work anymore.

Now that I'm not workng, I notice that I still have all of my possessions and the sun comes up in the morning as before. I have the good, quiet time in the early mornings to do the things I like to do, only one of which is HSM. While I'm not rich by any means, I have finances enough to get by and just enough of everything I need.

Part of being able to retire is the ability to look at one's situation and determine what is really important and what is really necessary. You may already have all of the elements necessary to be able to retire. Try it, you'll like it.

Comment

Working...
                                X