• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by bob_s
    JR:

You aren't retired, you've just changed careers. Now you are the house-hubby.
    You ain't retired, until the youngest finally, and forever moves out - good luck!
    Oh yeah, I LOVE my kids. But they are at school most of the day anyway. But Im still here anytime they need me. I just wish they were more into the mechanics of the shop. My son isnt. But lemme say. My girl is loving the shop. Loves all the machines and "STUFF" in there. Shes a lil young at 6 to be getting her too involved. But she loves to play with dads toys.

Some day Ill have to come up with a project that she will enjoy after its done. Something that she can kinda help out with and it will be hers to keep. It would be nice to think she will be interested in mechanics, but she really is a girlie girl but has a side of her that is interested in dads toys. I think she just wants to spend time with me. That will prolly evaporate after not too long.

But yeah, I love my kids and thats a side benny for being retired. I can give them ALL of me, whatever they want. Thats a good thing..... JR

Leave a comment:

• DFMiller
    replied
    John, you have been holding out on us. I thought you had a dirt floor in you shop?You have room for at least two more b'ports. ;-)
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• Henro
    replied
    When I was 53 my plant shut down and I decided to try "retirement" for a while, which ended up being for 5 years. It took a while to get used to (maybe 6 months) but retirement life is good I found out.

I also found out there were things that came up that caused me to plant $10K here and there (weddings for the two girls, a sewer line came through...and a couple other things...)... so after five years I went back to work...at age 59.8 or so.

Doing what? What those guys that used to work for me did! I got a union job in the same industry where I worked as an engineer. Who needs all the BS that goes with the salary position when you are only going to work thee years anyway? That was just short of 5 years ago. The surprising thing is that making new friends in a different environment is kind of cool. I like the work (doing it this time), like the people I work with, and like the fact that I am paid for every minute and really have much more control of my life than I did in the previous one. If I want a day of I just take it off. Granted I don't get paid for that day but I don' t have to kiss a$$ for it either. Life is good.

While retired I used to wonder how I got anything done while I worked. Everyday is Sunday when you are retired. Really is. Take a vacation...come back when you want, any time... you set the pace and the time line.

Funniest thing is that while I look forward to retiring again, I don't feel the need to rush it. I like doing what I am doing. I like the people. I like the job. And I don't feel bad at all about driving into work in the morning.

I guess what I am trying to say is that work is not all that bad either...Retirement is better really, if you have the cash you need.

For me, the greatest novelty was going back to work and actually having someone PAY ME FOR DOING SOMETHING. When retired not only did I work for free, but I had to buy the materials too! For my own use of course. But getting paid to work on things after paying to do work for my self over those 5 years really ticked me to death. Still does a little now...

Next time I throw in the towel will be for real. I will have to pay my own health insurance again...for me and the wife...and buy all the materials I need to do work around the place...

At 63.5 now I realize this is the last real job I will likely have. I can work it as long as I like (unions do offer some positive things to the little guy...)

Retirement is good. Working is good too. If you really like what you do then don't think that retirement will be better. It might be, but it might not be.

In my case it was better, but not by that much. If the difference were that great I would quit today (I could I think). But I don't feel the need to. And I have five years of retirement under my belt so I DO KNOW what it is about...

Just thought I would mention this for those who may be on the fence...

Leave a comment:

• dockrat
    replied
    Originally posted by bob_s
    JR:

You ain't retired, until the youngest finally, and forever moves out - good luck!
    They might move out of the house but they still live in your wallet LOL

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Retired ?
    Can't wait but I don't think I will be able to without either selling the shop up or moving.

Problem is people know I'm here and even if I retired they wouldn't stop coming. two customers are very worried I only have two years left and both have told me they are more than willing to pay pound notes for jobs.

Took two pics of the entrance to the shop this morning from two angles

All that lot is wanted by Monday lunch.

Retirement ? What's that.

Leave a comment:

• bob_s
    replied
    JR:

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by garagemark
    Not who, but HOW do you retire at 45? I have well enough money to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, but INSURANCE is the killer of my "R" plan. There is just no good (read affordable) way to self insure that I can find, and my company insurance would only last a year if I pulled the pin now.

Big Sigh..... I had better get back to work.
    I was a cop for many years. After 20 years they pick up the full tab for med insurance for the whole family. But.... Whats kinda funny is I dont even use that option. My wife is still working. Shes got 20 more years to go. Poor girl We use her employer's (Wellpoint) insurance.

She makes a good income (Nurse case manager) but my pension and other income from investments still pays most of the bills. With just enough left over to supply the home shop. Shhhh!!!! I think I hear her now

Anyway.. Im loving life right now. But.... Just when yer comfortable life WILL throw a curve ball atcha. So.. Im always making sure to live well within our range of income. Ya never know what can happen right...

Hmmmm, what shall I do today JR

Leave a comment:

• lakeside53
    replied
    How to get out early? Often by pure luck - big $$ working spouse, stock market, Dot com boom/bust, lottery, inheritance etc... but.. working a lifetime of average wage generally doesn't do it. You just have to make the best of what's available.

Leave a comment:

• garagemark
    replied
    Not who, but HOW do you retire at 45? I have well enough money to maintain a comfortable lifestyle, but INSURANCE is the killer of my "R" plan. There is just no good (read affordable) way to self insure that I can find, and my company insurance would only last a year if I pulled the pin now.

Big Sigh..... I had better get back to work.

Leave a comment:

• daryl bane
    replied
    You guys are making me ill....or jealous. Who retires at 45?.Jeeeze.

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    How much time you spend in your shop when you retire depends on what you get involved in and how you schedule your day.

I am careful about getting involved with things that take me away from the shop but sometimes I wonder how I ever got all the things done I did after working all day. I guess I just do it more leisurely now that I am retired and for that reason things take longer to do.

There is very little mad dashing around in my life now that I am retired.

Leave a comment:

• polepenhollow
    replied
    Originally posted by saltmine
    'bout right. I try not to get up any earlier than 6:00 AM, mainly because one of the channels on my Satellite TV has "The Three Stooges" on some mornings at 6:00AM. Yeah, after all these years, I'm still a Stooge fan. Having worked in a shop run by the real life "Three Stooges" before I retired didn't help. Breakfast, sh*t, shave, and shower, not necessarily in that order, and I'm ready to face the day. Here, in Arizona if you want to get something done, it has to be done before noon, because it gets so darned hot. (No A/C in the shop). Around noon, I come inside, turn on the cooler, and have lunch.
    Catch up with what's going on at several forums around the internet. Maybe do a little reading, or scratch out some CAD renderings, take a nap, then it's dinner time...Maybe watch a little TV (TV is getting pretty bad, lately. too many lame "soap operas", "kill-everything-in-sight" shows and stupid reality shows seem to be the most prevalent....it's no wonder I watch mostly documentaries and cartoons)

Fortunately, just recently, I bought myself a stool so I can sit down while I'm working in the shop. Ten years ago I would have never thought of that.

One thing I learned: I don't have to RUSH anything anymore....thank God!

That's usually called the 3 (three) S's. $hit, $hower n' $have
    Happy retirement.
    I am rebuilding a house in Marysville Wa. I am supposedly retired too.
    I spend at least 1 Hour a day Watching Dora or Dieago on Disney, Google or YouTube w/ my beautiful grandaughter on my lap.
    K Liv
    Last edited by polepenhollow; 06-16-2010, 03:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Ok, I like this thread. Im retired. Im gonna turn 45 in august so I dont need any nap time. Been retired for three years now and LOVE it.

More time? No. The extra time gets eaten up. I still have kids. The youngest is 6yo.

But honestly, the kids were in school, summer break now. But during the school year my time went like this.....

Wake at 7, jump outta bed, take a leak then do 45 push-ups. Brush the teeth, hop in the shower then do a set of ab exercises. They KILL!. Dress and get down stairs where my great wife has already got the kids up and into breakfast. And she has already had the pot of coffee going. Pour my BIG cup, its like half the pot and then feed the fish in the backyard pond. Come back in and help motivate the kids to get ready for school and then drive them off. Three days a week, she does the other two days.

Get back home and my bowl of coffee might need to be heated up. 60 seconds in the micro then Im up stairs to the computer. Checking on emails from my four + email addies then check on my ebay activity, yup, buying and selling.. Then the news, CNN, hate the slant they seem to have but the coverage is decent. Check the stock markets for a sec then off back downstairs to the garage. Its prolly ten by then.

Clear off the debris from the night before (yes, thats this nights debris, I drink and smoke). Then look at the project of the day. Lately its been my project car. As the weather gets nicer I get out in the yard and mess with it more. I really like working in the yard in summer.

12 O-clock comes around and I sit down. Ill eat something now, I dont eat breakfast, I drink coffee. Eat something and watch some TV. OH I LOVE TV. Ill do more exercises at one. Usually some weights till two. Then I put on some shorts and walking shoes and walk for a lil over an hour. 4.25 miles. Monday through friday.

After my walk I turn on the 4 O-clock news and start dinner. Yup, I love to cook and eat. So I make dinner for the fam and we eat around 5:30.

Clean up and get the kids cleaned up and book time for them at 8. Book time for them every night. Kinda funny, my lil girl LOVES to read. She is six. Used to be where I read to her. Now she wants to do all the reading. Good thing. At 6yo she does better than me.

Kids are in bed by 9 and I chill with my wife after that. TV, reading or whatever Sometimes I get back online here when its late and she is gonzo asleep. Shes gotta work still, prolly another 20 years.

Thats my life, retired.... I kinda like it ALOT!!! JR

Leave a comment:

• winchman
    replied
    I do almost all my shop stuff at the local tech school welding and machining shop. The instructor mostly lets me do whatever I want, but I end up doing lots of stuff for the school, for local charities and youth groups, and other people who bring us interesting stuff to fix or build.

I've got access to tens of thousands of dollars worth of good equipment, most of the materials I need, and all the consumables. The shop is only available from 8 to 8 four days a week, but what can you expect for a whopping $82 per quarter. To top it off, it's only a five-minute drive or fifteen-minute walk from the house.

I still use my home shop a bit, but after two moves it's much smaller and no longer heated and air-conditioned. It's hard to justify making an investment in a better home shop under the current circumstances.

Leave a comment:

• dp
    replied
    When I was retired I spent a lot of time in the shop. After the economy, my investments, and housing market collapse I had to go back to work and now have very little time for the shop.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X