So now that you are retired...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gmatov
    Exercise is not, I think, what I need, for this shoulder. Unless you think that "no pain, no gain" is still the goal of exercise. I can get lots of pain with little effort just lifting to horizontal. I should be gaining lots.
    IIRC, The concept behind the exercise is to strengthen the muscles that hold the shoulder together while also stretching tendons that may be restricting movement.

Surgery CAN be of benefit in many cases, as can various injections.

Back on topic...

When I was an independent consultant during the dot-com boom I would routinely have many months between jobs. During that 7 years I was able to enjoy being semi-retired. I delved into many area that had piqued my interest, including machining, locksmithing, exotic flashlight collecting and building. Now that I'm back to work the only new skills I've picked up lately is MIG and OA welding.

I really look forward to being able to retire again.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I guess I can I am offically retired from the Unisys computor co. after 36 years. I do have a business cutting fire brakes here in S. Calif., but the good thing, it is only around four months, and as of now it is 2/3 over. I can start, or stop any time I want, or take a day off. without anyone asking any questions. Life it great. Stan

Comment

Money's funny. You make XX dollars and you simply don't have enough.

Now, this will hit a raw nerve here, or maybe over there, but in my latter, with more seniority, years, and I WAS Union shop, I took VLO, Voluntary Lay Off, rather than let a younger man be laid off. They might not be called back. I would.

My UC was approx. the same as my while working takehome, if you ignore the money that was going to the CU and the money that would have gone to the 401, which I would have seen even greater losses over the last couple years than I did see.

I was probably ahead of the game. I drove 20 miles to work, say 3 gallons at 3 bucks per day, so 9 X 5 is 45, per week. That I did not contribute to either the CU or the 401 didn't and doesn't bother me one bit. Over 5 years and I haven't touched the 401, so I think I can do without it. Will probably be part of my estate.

My income is enough for me to live on, and to help my kids, and still build up more than I need. I don't want to die with the biggest bequest to my kids. I would rather help them while I am alive and they need help.

Cheers,

George

I'll tell you about a couple guys who said they couldn't afford to retire in a future post.

Comment

Without prejudice

This came in the email today - I've seen variants of it over a while.

Without prejudice - or comment:

A Concept to consider - 15/06/10

Let's put the seniors in jail, and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the seniors would have access to showers, hobbies, and walks. They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheelchairs , hearing aids, etc., and receive some money instead of paying it out. They would be protected from the criminal element and scam artists who prey upon the seniors.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly if they fell or needed assistance. Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes, and bring their meals and snacks to their cell. They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose. They would have access to a library, weight room, counseling, pool, and free education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, P.J.'s and legal aid would be free, on request. Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a P.C., a T.V., radio, and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct, that would be strictly adhered to.

The "criminals" would get cold food, be left all alone, and unsupervised.Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week.They would live in a tiny room, and pay $5000.00 per month and have no hope of ever getting out.

Justice for all.

Comment

Retire before 45. I am in the construction trades. Economy effected to say the least. I am layed off. I catch a day of work here and there Keep up with ever changing unemployment rules, worry about health insurance cost and eligibility. Work a little in my shop. I only spend money in the shop that is generated from the shop. Buy sell trade this and that. Attack the never ending honey do list. Looks like i have the same criteria for retirement. The only catch is when the job market picks up and i go back to work steady...I will have to work until the day i die.

Comment

Quit "work " at 50 for mental health reasons (customers were driving me nuts) wife worked for 5 more years. its been 16 years and I haven't missed working at all. Its surprising how much money it costs to go to work. we hardly missed my pay.
              "retirement is doing what you want when you want to do it"
              if you want to work and you enjoy it then you are retired

Comment

Funny, now that you mentioned that, Gaston. When I retired, I decided I'd keep on working. And, after a number of low paying jobs, I discovered it was costing me almost as much as I was making, to be working.

Last year, I decided to quit trying, and when tax time rolled around, I didn't owe the government hardly anything. (the year before, I owed the IRS over $1000).

Strange, I'm not working at all now, and I seem to get by just fine.
                No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Putting seniors in prison sounds like a pretty good idea. And criminals in nursing homes would be "cruel & unusual punishment" (they deserve it, though)

The other way would be to take citizenship from all seniors. That way, they would be illegal aliens, and could get free food, clothing, housing, education, and medical care, and not have to pay a dime for it.
                  No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Some of you are getting the idea.

30 years ago I told my partner on my electric buggy, machine repair, age 63, that he was working for nothing. We argued about that for a while. I crashed a car, broke some ribs, was off 7 weeks, went back to work, thought we would be a team again.

No, he went to HR while I was off, they told him he would make more, after taxes and all other deductions, retired than he did while working. He was gone. Poor guy used to love fishing at Pymatuning Lake, near Lake Erie, and rolled his boat over and drowned about7 years later. 3 days before they found his body.

He was a good partner, and knew his stuff.

'Nother in the steel mill electronics dept., 64, 44 years service, NO OT in that dept., said he couldn't afford to retire. I gave him my estimate, he went to HR, they told him he was losing money working, HE was gone the next week.

I don't like WalMart, but a lot of people COULD retire and be ahead of the game with their pension and SS and 8 bucks an hour as a WalMart greeter. They might be TEN bucks an hour ahead, part time. Don't ask me to back that up.

danlb,

I am kinda lazy. I don't do lots of tough stuff, unless my kids make demands of me. I didn't do any hard work before my shoulder went out. I THINK, I simply slept on it wrong, popped it out, and SHOULD have gone to the Doc next day. Didn't. Three months later, did, BFD, they don't see anything wrong.

I don't think it is weakening of the muscles. I've worked for near 50 years. Right arm to boot, and that is my strong arm. But I get a click and I get a lock up when I move it in certain ways. Bad joint, I think.

Cheers,

George

Comment

George,check your PM's.

Oh,and I shot a '72 Bear TD with "our" custom CF limbs,60# @ 29 for 10 years professionally.BW

Comment

Working...
                      X