OT floppy disks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT floppy disks

Iv only owned about ten floppy disks in my life, my last computer didn't even use them, but this one I have now does, so I went to retrieve some old boating pics I had on floppies,
    I really was after three on one particular float with a boat I used to own,

Out of many many pics all which were good - two out of the three I was after are bad (the only bad ones)

they load 1/4 to 1/3 of the way and are not complete, I tried opening with another program --- same deal,

Is there a trick I can use? i just stuck the floppy in the freezer for a couple minutes and re-tried it, no change, its free, its not warped ----- its also 8 years old since the pics were loaded...

Went boating yesterday and wanted to do a little nostalgic thing today...

Is my pic lost forever?

it's been a long time

but i seem to remember from amiga days ..that if you copy the floppy to a folder on the computer then re-write it back on another floppy ..it sort of fixes it ..i could be wrong ..im talking over 10 years ago here.

thats when the thing only had a floppy drive

i wonder if dragging the files to a folder on the computer instread of opening them up strait from the floppy would fix it

all the best.markj

Comment

Thanks Aboard, I tried that earlier and could not do it, just tried again ---

ERROR; copying file or folder

ERROR X can't copy mvc-o62s: cannot read from the source disk....

I tried burning it to CD and then tried viewing - same incomplete pics

Comment

I just rememberd ..I had two floppy drives ..had one internal and one external ..and using the program "x-copy" ..copied from one floppy to the next ..it was this that fixed them...x-copy may have had some other functions that fixed them ..but its been so long i cant remember.

All the best.markj

Comment

I think they have a limited life.
          I still use them as my big CNC is DOS based and can't use USB or such.
          the config.sys and Autoexec.bat files are two lines long !!

However I have a stack from ages ago of backup disks, Autosketch for DOS !! etc and when I get these out about half of them don't work.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Try running

CHKDSK (floppydriveletter)

don't for now use any switches on this command it will give you some very cryptic information regarding what it thinks is wrong with the disk. Like if sectors are cross-linked etc.

If you have an old version of Norton Disc Doctor it would help as that can help unsnarl the tangled files on the disc.

Comment

If you have the old drive, even if the computer is dead, you could put it in the new computer and it will be more likely to read it.

Otherwise, google and download rawrite and make an image if it on your hard drive, then write that back to a new floppy. Fair chance it will work.

Otherwise, see if you can find a utility to repair floppies or jpegs at tinyapps.org or google.

Otherwise, download knoppix and burn to a cd, boot off it and see if it can open the files. If so burn to CD. It's Linux, but just look for a file manager in the menus then a cd/dvd burner.

Otherwise, let us know and we'll think of something else. There are jpeg repair tools, but it sounds like a bad sector on the floppy. Doesn't mean it can't be fixed if you find a program the retries and retries until it reads it. Data is still there. If you do a jpeg repair tool, best to use the floppy you created with rawrite. You may need to read up and see how to force it to make an image even if thee are errors. If you mail it to me, I'll do my best and e-mail the pics to you if I can get them off.

Once you get those off, burn to CD, thow away your floppies, pull the drive out and drill a hole in it before you through it away, so no one else uses it
              Last edited by knudsen; 06-17-2010, 07:45 PM.

Comment

oops stop or it will die

AK Boomer

Down load a free program called PC Inspector File Recovery.
                it can retrieve the files. but be advise the more times you try to
                open the file the more damage it will get.

so stop & down load PC Inspector & follow the prompts.
                I have retrieved many of files this way.

Leesr

Comment

If you have an old version of Norton Disc Doctor it would help as that can help unsnarl the tangled files on the disc.
                  Probably get that on one of those file sharing thingies where people share programs and music. Not saying that is safe, legal, moral, or that you won't go to hell or prison if you do that tho I don't use those services. I get tax payers to buy my software

Edit, use the free one above, prevent damnation. I would rawrite it first tho. It's probably head misalignment on the old PC. Oh, that's another trick, try other computers. Sliding the write protect tab would be a good idear.
                  Last edited by knudsen; 06-17-2010, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                    I still use them as my big CNC is DOS based and can't use USB or such.

However I have a stack from ages ago of backup disks, Autosketch for DOS !! etc and when I get these out about half of them don't work.
                    Same here. I bought a large box of used floppies off the bay for my CNC app, something like 75% them won't format satisfactorily. They seem to deteriorate with age.

Depends on the PC and the OS, too. Linux seems fussier than Windoze or DOS. And sometimes one drive will be able to read the floppy, but another drive won't.

Other than trying the damaged floppy on a different box, I'm afraid the OP is SOL.

BTW, John, I'm pretty sure you can get DOS to recognize a USB drive, but there is some setup involved, and I haven't been that motivated -- yet.

Comment

Originally posted by MTNGUN
                      BTW, John, I'm pretty sure you can get DOS to recognize a USB drive, but there is some setup involved, and I haven't been that motivated -- yet.
                      Yes there are a few drivers out there that will work for most thumb drives with DOS.
                      Just that you cannot hot swap them, you must boot up with the thumb drive in.
                      Max.

Comment

I'm guessing these are 3-1/2" floppies, you didn't say. Try a different drive if you can. And, probably goes without saying, if you get the files back, save them on the best media known to man, Kodak print paper.

I'm not a computer guy anymore, I knew my way around DOS pretty well but...
                        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Originally posted by MTNGUN

Can't remember the details it was so long ago the computer was setup with the Ahha software but it's something to do with not allowing any TSR's [ whatever they are ]?

I know it's dated, in fact it's no longer supported but the Ahha software has worked flawlessly, never crashed or had a glitch and that's the honest truth.
                          Had plenty of other problems, drivers, computers , it eats keyboards and the stupid operator don't help

I could update to say Mach but to be honest it has a couple of features that Mach doesn't and why fix it if it's not broken. It was only about 3 years ago the original 486 fell over and I had to rush out and get a Pentium 233

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by leesr
                            AK Boomer

Down load a free program called PC Inspector File Recovery.
                            it can retrieve the files. but be advise the more times you try to
                            open the file the more damage it will get.

so stop & down load PC Inspector & follow the prompts.
                            I have retrieved many of files this way.

Leesr

Thanks to all for your advice, I just downloaded the PC inspector file recovery and tried it on the file in question - it starts to analyze and quits in a few seconds with this error code
                            NT_read error
                            error no. 23
                            drv: O LBA : 296 blocks:1

at another time it was identical except it said 62 instead of 296

im hating computers again...
                            Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 06-17-2010, 10:06 PM.

Comment

TSR

terminate stay resident,, virus programs are this way, end the thing from being front and center, but it is still running in the background.

rollin'

Comment

Working...
                              X