Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way (or tool) to open a shipping tube from onlinemetals.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Clarke
    replied
    You guys are all working too hard. I'd give the thing to Arthur, my wife's 8lb Poodle. He'd get busy and shred the tube in about 20 minutes. For comparison, he can take all the fur off a brand new tennis ball in about the same time. With teeth and jaws like that, imagine if he were 80lbs, or so.

TC

Leave a comment:

• RussZHC
    replied
    Grinder

I too like the direction this thread has taken, my vote would be using a grinder to remove the exposed flat tops of the staples then use the lag bolt idea to pull the wooden plug. And it works for the metal end caps too

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    How about a shotgun at 10 feet. The last guy I worked for could have used his .50 quad machine guns to open it up for you. Oh, and another friend could use the cannon on his Stewart tank to open it.
    Last edited by Carld; 06-19-2010, 03:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Seriously, how about a large sized tubing cutter? Use it on the plugged end, just past the last staple. The cut should be dead clean for reuse.

Leave a comment:

• PTSideshow
    replied
    Originally posted by tmc_31
    doorknob,

Pull staples, insert lag screw in center of wood plug, pull plug.

Tim
    I do the same as above, only I use an eye screw large dia hole.

Works every time!

No Drama, No fun

No ambulance ride to pay for, no bill from emergency room and then the doctors.

No police or fire dept

No reports

No overnight stay in the local cop shop

No Bill from the volunteer FD if that's what you have.

No payments to neighbors for repairs or emotional trauma they suffered when you used way to much starting fluid and blew all the windows out in their house and cars/trucks! And everybody that was at the graduation parties cars

No Lawyers fee's.

Ends up with more money to buy more metal to do it all over again!

Leave a comment:

• b2u44
    replied
    tmc is onto something, but rather than pulling the staples, just put lag-eyes in both ends of the tube assembly, chain one end to a tree and the other to the back bumper of your vehicle. Then just drive away.

Leave a comment:

• tmc_31
    replied
    Lag Screw?

doorknob,

Pull staples, insert lag screw in center of wood plug, pull plug.

Tim

Leave a comment:

• beanbag
    replied
    3 axis industrial laser cutter or waterjet will cleanly cut the tube

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    this thread is verry funny , i like it.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Alciatore
    replied
    Just take it to the nearest hospital and put it in the MRI for a few seconds. Pop go the staples.

Errr, I hope it was aluminum or brass in the tube.

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by doorknob
    Wow, this is a tough audience...

For your continuing entertainment, here are the offending cardboard tubes. I wasn't kidding when I described my Jack-the-Ripper approach. Next time I'll know better.

The bigger tube is 6.500" in diameter (with a tolerance of plus or minus a tenth). The smaller guy has a diameter of 4.000" (same tolerances).

Neither one will fit on my HF 7x10 lathe (which I do not even have - but I saw one once in the store, which makes me an Internet expert on them). So the det cord approach sounds like it is more practical than using the 4-jaw chuck (which I also do not have) and parting it off...

You're a good sport, Doorknob. I think those tubes are a PITA, too. I wouldn't hesitate to use a sawzall or whatever you have handy to cut them open. It ain't over-kill

Leave a comment:

• doorknob
    replied
    Wow, this is a tough audience...

For your continuing entertainment, here are the offending cardboard tubes. I wasn't kidding when I described my Jack-the-Ripper approach. Next time I'll know better.

The bigger tube is 6.500" in diameter (with a tolerance of plus or minus a tenth). The smaller guy has a diameter of 4.000" (same tolerances).

Neither one will fit on my HF 7x10 lathe (which I do not even have - but I saw one once in the store, which makes me an Internet expert on them). So the det cord approach sounds like it is more practical than using the 4-jaw chuck (which I also do not have) and parting it off...

Leave a comment:

• Fasttrack
    replied
    Originally posted by dave5605
    Sounds like a room full of engineers convening a taskforce looking for a problem that isn't there.
    LMAO

I'm with Tony. I think the best way is to chuck her up in a four jaw and just part the end off. Don't worry about a steady rest. Use plenty of cutting oil and do it at about 9000 rpm. That should ensure an even distribution of oil on your apron, face and surrounding area.

Leave a comment:

• saltmine
    replied
    I usually wrap about a foot of Detcord around the tube, below the staples, and put the fire out after the shot. It's rough on the shipping tube, but never seems to damage the metal.

Or....I just let my Grand Niece play with it for ten minutes, and the plugs on both ends are gone.
    Last edited by saltmine; 06-18-2010, 04:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dave5605
    replied
    Sounds like a room full of engineers convening a taskforce looking for a problem that isn't there.

I just take a pair of dykes and grab the middle of the staple and cut it then pull out the two pieces.

As for the aluminum caps I just bend the prongs straight and pull the staples out.

Then there are the ones I got driveshafts in that have 1-1/2" thick wood plugs put in with drywall screws. Zip the screws out and shake the tube to pop the plug out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X