Harbor Freight digital micrometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight digital micrometer

Bought one today and out of the box it was busted. The display would flicker to random numbers and if you closed, opened, and closed the two measurement points together, you would get a different number each time. I opened it up and found that in addition to a lot of brass dust inside , that the two rotary encoder plates were too far apart. One of them slides along, but spins with, the micrometer shaft, and the other one is fixed to the body. I managed to move the fixed one over closer, and then found out that somehow the set screw on it doesn't really hold it in place. A little bit of super glue fixed that. Now this tool seems to work fine, fingers crossed.

The moral of the story is ???

Originally posted by beanbag
    A new trend in kits?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

And no Starret or other micrometer *EVER* was DOA.

At least at HF you get to open the box and look at it... who doesn't do that anymore?

Take it back, get another (you have a 30 day 100% guarantee) and this time open the box and check it.

Wow, shopping 101 lesson here... I can ask my GF to post more tips if you like

Comment

For anyone on this side of the border..........Canadian Tire has those 6" digital calipers (assume that is what is being dicussed here) for$14 this week.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...52BCaliper.jsp

Comment

Take it back and get another one. I have two of these micrometers and they both worked day one and are still working. I really like them.

Bought one today and out of the box it was busted. The display would flicker to random numbers and if you closed, opened, and closed the two measurement points together, you would get a different number each time. I opened it up and found that in addition to a lot of brass dust inside , that the two rotary encoder plates were too far apart. One of them slides along, but spins with, the micrometer shaft, and the other one is fixed to the body. I managed to move the fixed one over closer, and then found out that somehow the set screw on it doesn't really hold it in place. A little bit of super glue fixed that. Now this tool seems to work fine, fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by sidneyt
            I have two of these micrometers and they both worked day one and are still working. I really like them.
            Mine is still going strong after a year, but don't doubt Chinese QC lets some bad ones slip through.

Comment

I've got about half a dozen sets of the cheap digital calipers, they sit on a shelf. Too many problems with them.

You can buy a quality brand:

Grizzly has some Brown & Sharpe (Swiss made Tesa), 6 inch Digitals in their "Presidents Special" for $79. They normally go for $130-$140 anywhere else.

I picked up 3 sets.

Mike
              Mike Hunter

www.mikehunterrestorations.com

Comment

People who can fix things rawk.

Comment

It was sealed in plastic packaging, so I couldn't inspect it.

Comment

Don't buy anything at HF that has moving parts.

Comment

Originally posted by jungle_geo

The Corollary; If it has moving parts, make sure it's supposed to.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I bought one of the Chinese digital micrometers years ago. They may have updated the design, but back then it burned through batteries much faster than an even older Mitutoyo.

Comment

Originally posted by jungle_geo
                          Don't buy anything at HF .........PERIOD...............

JL.....................

Comment

moving parts

I bought a hammer once there, when I got it home I found IT had moving parts. They were very nice when I returned it tho...
                            Marcus.
                            This post is a natural, hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

Don't buy anything at HF .........PERIOD...............
                              Now .. wait a minute ....
                              Horror Freight is great for paint brushes, tape, oil, sandpaper and other cheap crap.
                              But don't expect to buy anything 'quality' there.

Comment

Working...
                              X