Casting material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casting material?

I want to make some molds for making wax positives to use for lost wax process. They are refered to as soft molds I think. Are there any tutorials online that show the step by step process and what material is used to fill in around the part I want to replicate? I thought I saw an article in the Magazine HSM or Digital Machinist but can't find it.
    Thanks,
    Dick

hobby versions DVD of a commercial supplies

The biz end of it with other DVD

The king kong of effects and casting supply houses and on line learning

more info etc.

Here is more than you will need.!
    Glen
    Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
    I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
    All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Thank you Glen, I'll check these out. You must have an incredible library of links!

Dick

Comment

one more potential source is: http://www.lindsaybks.com/

Comment

If you're casting wax, consider RTV (room-temperature vulcanizing) rubber.

Smooth On

There are tutorials and demos on their site and youtube.

Comment

There are a number of videos on that here:

http://www.freemansupply.com/moldmaking.htm

cheers,
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Ennis
              If you're casting wax, consider RTV (room-temperature vulcanizing) rubber.

Smooth On

There are tutorials and demos on their site and youtube.
              Also commonly known as "Chicago Latex" and available at artists supply houses such as Dick Blick, or Jerry's.

Comment

Custom parts net
                Here is another link to a great site for information.
                Glen
                Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
                I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
                All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

I would recommend a silicone mold. I do not know how intricate your parts are but a higher Shore hardness (number) equates to a 'stiffer' silicone. If your wax is very soft and pliable it may be bent/broken on a part line with harder silicone. If you have the ability to create good parting lines for the part the harder silicone is the way to go as you will bet cleaner edges and little flash.
                  Harder silicone will also to allow you to inject under pressure without defromation. There are a few silicones which can be used for the mold halves (when properly backed) in plastic injection machines.

Comment

Working...
                  X