My Entry for disgusting shop story of the day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Entry for disgusting shop story of the day

I have one of those misters with gallon jug of water based coolant tucked away in the column of the mill. I'm just a hobby machinist and this being spring I haven't touched the mill in a couple months.
    So I go to make a couple parts this morning and something is smelling bad, I'm thinking the coolant got yucky but I have just a couple little parts to make and I just kept going. It gets worse and worse and I just kinda tough it out as I have everything setup and its going well otherwise. (You know how that goes).
    After I am all done I go to clean out the coolant jug and there is what's left of a dead mouse floating in it. So I have rotten mouse mist all over me, the mill and the shop.
    I think I am done for the day.

And I bet this esoteric mixture of dead-mouse funk and machine coolant gave you the best damn surface finish that you've ever seen. Made that endmill slice through the material like you were carving butter!

This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

mouse coolant. Yeah, I guess that would make me leave the shop too. Clean it up tomorrow. I hope you tossed the coolant out and threw the jug away.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I hope we can all agree that SkyMoCo has won and that there will not be any attempts to top his story.
        Mike

My Dad always said, "If you want people to do things for you on the farm, you have to buy a machine they can sit on that does most of the work."

Comment

Well, that is educational. I've heard people talk about what panther pi$$ they add to their gas tanks but I never really thought about where it came from. All told, I think I was happier never knowing.
          "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Note to self: put screens on all the openings of the mist jug. Don't have one yet but it is on the list of things to get.

Comment

That is so bad for you, but sorry It made me laugh at your misfortune. That was so gross.

Comment

Originally posted by MotorradMike
                I hope we can all agree that SkyMoCo has won and that there will not be any attempts to top his story.
                Too late I just tossed two goldfish and a small poodle into my coolant sump.
                This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb

Comment

Traditional chinese medicine on a mill?
                  If it helps, why not?

Thanks for the laugh!
                  Nick

Comment

Don't worry about it, chicks dig the smell of dead mice.... no wait, chicks dig scars, no no no... chicks dig money.... ya money.... maybe you can sell the dead mouse.

ME

Comment

just dip the mouse out carefully and add a gallon of bleach. bugs gone, smell gone, all is good !

Comment

I could go into detail but wont.

never trust a fart!
                        From "the bucket list" with JACK NICHOLSON and MORGAN FREEMAN
                        Last edited by oldbikerdude37; 06-19-2010, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldbikerdude37
                          I could go into detail but wont.

never trust a fart!
                          That's the best part of molding plastic. Depending on the resin you are heating you can let one rip and no one will notice.

Comment

Could have been worse if he was syphoning the coolant out

Many years ago when we used to go hill climb racing down in Devon we would stop at this small farm and buy some genuine scrumpy cider.
                            The farmer always asked it we wanted rough or smooth, not knowing the difference we always said smooth.

One day we asked what the difference was between rough and smooth, the farmer replied with the smooth we take the rats out.

Still don't know to this day whether he was joking but I still like a nice cider.

I hate to say this but the French do a flat, cloudy cider that's really nice, don't know the name and probably couldn't pronounce it anyway.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

So at the bottom of grain legs there are big pits. These pits fill with water. They also fill with racoons, rats and grain. Then when the sump kicks on, the dead bodies of various, once-furry animals plugs up the intake screen. Then someone has to go down waist deep with a 5 gallon bucket to clean it out.

My BIL was down in the pit handing buckets up to his old man one day. The old man slipped and dropped a bucket back down in there, fully drenching my BIL in a slurry of rotten grain, hair and rotten rodent meat. There was some considerable cussing rising up from the pit and a considerable amount of hysterical laughter up ontop

Not quite a shop story, but thought I'd share. You got rotten coolant and a mouse. Just be glad is wasn't anything bigger.

Comment

Working...
                              X