No announcement yet.

Ebay's "Buy It Never"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to use Ebay. It was good. But now the rules are so screwed up, and the fees are so out of control, it just isn't worth it.

Ebay takes about 20% of most sales. When selling certain items (New), I have less than that in mark up, I won't be in business long being joined at the hip with Ebay/Paypal. Also consider they want you to offer "free shipping" This too eats into any profit you may have. I absolutely refuse to offer free shipping. My monthly invoice from Ebay and Paypal, was more than I was selling on there. So I do not use them any more.

As for Bonanzle, they are growing FAST, about 1000 new members/day. Fees are a set flat rate. Yes they don't yet have the selection of Ebay, but they are getting more every day.

Another place to look is Upillar, they are aggressively advertising, even have some national radio advertising. They do not have the greatest selection yet either, but they are growing.

So if people here are displeased with Ebay, why not start listing items on Upillar and Bonanzle? It does not cost anything to list an item, only a (very reasonable) final value based fee. The more that is listed in those places the more people will be attracted to the sites to buy and sell. The nice part is it doesn't cost anything to give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by ARFF79
      (re: Paypal)I also do not like their ability to put their claws into my bank accounts.
      They can no longer do that. A lawsuit stopped that nonsense 5-7 years ago.

It seems as if they only want the Reliables of the world who can afford to have stores and list the same things for what seems like forever. I can not wait to see how the new IRS rules regarding 1099's is going to affect fees.
      The casual seller will not see 1099's (yet) If you are a business you are keeping records anyhow. I fail to see how this is a tragedy or how it will effect fees.

TMT, the thing is you are likely not seeing the good items posted as BIN that sold fast due to a good price.

Must be nice to be retired or whatever and have all the time in the world to go wander auctions (real or otherwise). I'm out here making my living and my time is vauluable. Even if only to me.

Anyhow, like I said. Simple stuff. If the prices are not what you want to pay then don't buy. Nobody appointed you as the price police.

I sell a lot of stuff on FeeBay. Understand I have little love for them or their inbred cousin PayPal. However, they are a big part of my business and I USE them to move products. They are the 800 pound gorilla of online sales. I also list on other venues. None come close to the sales or eyeballs eBay brings.

Perhaps some day they will price themselves out of business.

Until then I'll just keep on chuckling at the same people posting the same tired whining about the same percieved boogymen.
      Mike N

Occasional maker of swarf.

Comment

Originally posted by Twmaster
        TMT, the thing is you are likely not seeing the good items posted as BIN that sold fast due to a good price.
        Nope...I check the finished sales...very few good buys..lots of overpriced unsold junk.

If the prices are not what you want to pay then don't buy. Nobody appointed you as the price police.
        I don't buy overpriced junk..nor does it seem do most other people.

Until then I'll just keep on chuckling at the same people posting the same tired whining about the same percieved boogymen.
        Which boogymen? Buy It Nevers litter the Ebay landscape

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
          Nope...I check the finished sales...very few good buys..lots of overpriced unsold junk.
          Well if your only looking in the unsold BIN's that maybe the trouble.
          I mean why even look in the sold section even if you did find a "DEAL" it's way to late to bid.

Your not going to find a NOS Bridgeport for $5oo.oo with free lift gate shipping not even in the good old days. Yes somethings are priced like new and then some... Some look like a deal till you look at the shipping... on these I just chuckle and keep looking for what I want at a price I want to pay.

Try looking for X tool using lowest price+shipping with BIN you might have better luck.
          Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Hm... TMT hates e-bay yet I don't see him complaining about 'real auction' shills that are documented and some are quite well known.

He *never* got burned at any auction OTHER than e-bay? Wow, can I give you a list of stuff I need?

E-bay is great because the your TREASURE truly can be someone elses JUNK.

I just BIN a book NEW IN WRAP for $9 total. Amazon.com had NOTHING new for less than $30. Its an obscure book that has a very niche market...

Ask me if I 'hate' e-bay or BIN... I have $20 in reasons to like it

Comment

T

The casual seller will not see 1099's (yet) If you are a business you are keeping records anyhow. I fail to see how this is a tragedy or how it will effect fees.
              From our research the number of sellers in the Business and industrial section that will be effected is close to 78%. Most of the them have absoluletly no clue that they will get a 1099 next year and the tax liability they will have from it. That will shut down alot of them I see at the auctions every week, the ones living on the CASH economy. The impact on eBay is hard to speculate due to MANY rapidly changing issues. eBay's policy changes over the last several years have reduced our profits and total revenues greatly, they are doing an excellent job at "crash and burn" management...........next year might be their worst ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbmeister
                Hm... TMT hates e-bay yet I don't see him complaining about 'real auction' shills that are documented and some are quite well known.

He *never* got burned at any auction OTHER than e-bay? Wow, can I give you a list of stuff I need?

E-bay is great because the your TREASURE truly can be someone elses JUNK.

I just BIN a book NEW IN WRAP for $9 total. Amazon.com had NOTHING new for less than $30. Its an obscure book that has a very niche market...

Ask me if I 'hate' e-bay or BIN... I have $20 in reasons to like it
                Congratulations on the $9 purchase...do you plan on making another $9 Buy It Never purchase on Ebay this year to make it a whole $18 spent on the wildly unsucessful Buy It Nevers..to offset the thousands of dollars that I am not spending...but used to in actual Ebay auctions.

You sound like another Buy It Never seller trying to justify his actions....

If Ebay is so great, then why aren't the Buy It Nevers done as actual auctions with no reserves?

Afraid of the free market actually setting the real prices received?

TMT

Comment

"OTH my cop friends tell me most police departments keep a watch on on-line auctions. They are a great place to fence stolen goods."

I think they just want to look at e-bay on duty. How can they tell a stolen t.v from any other used t.v? Pawn shops are great places to fence stolen goods... Craigslist is a great place to fence stolen goods... e-bay? OK, there are some dumb criminals.. I'll grant you that. But what criminal caper has ended with 'then I found the stolen X on e-bay'?
                  Trust me, it has happened, some thieves are utterly stupid. Lets just say that limited production runs that were at the time unreleased were selling on e-bay... that fellow had his day in court =)

Comment

I buy a fair bit on Ebay because I can't be bothered going shopping around.

I use to go to auctions but mostly it's a wasted day and if you do get something you have to add the sellers premium on which is more than Ebay plus your days wages.

Larger bits I tend the search by distance so I can collect.

This week I am putting a new shed up at the bottom of the garden for storage, not big, 16' x 8'

I searched on Ebay for sheds, got a list up of who was doing custom ones and rang round.
                    Got one delivered from 45 miles away for £25 and should have been free erection but I'm putting it together with full insulation all round.

Just had the new RCD switch box delivered this morning I bought off Ebay over the weekend, used once on site £15 including postage.

10 metal clad industrial double sockets £5 each including postage, local trade counter wants £9 and I have to queue up for an hour round trip to get them.

30 amp per phase three phase armoured cable, new but only 50 foot on the roll for £25, I have to collect this but it's 7 miles away near the community tip and I have some rubbish to go.

Floor and roof have been insulated with some insulation I had.
                    The rest in 8' x 4' sheets is being drop shipped from the manufacturer but bought of Ebay from an on line retailer cheaper than I can get it local but even then I have to collect.

So basically other than the cable I have everything bought and delivered on site cheaper than I can even buy at so called trade outlets.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Congratulations on the $9 purchase...do you plan on making another $9 Buy It Never purchase on Ebay this year to make it a whole $18 spent on the wildly unsucessful Buy It Nevers..to offset the thousands of dollars that I am not spending...but used to in actual Ebay auctions.

You sound like another Buy It Never seller trying to justify his actions....

If Ebay is so great, then why aren't the Buy It Nevers done as actual auctions with no reserves?

Afraid of the free market actually setting the real prices received?

TMT
                      Wow you must hare really got burned on something you REALLY REALLY wanted.

I think I sold maybe 2-3 things on e-bay... but nothing massive... maybe $100.

You seem to be just wanting to add to your post count because you posted *something*... but I cannot determine what.

As for 'Free Market' setting the price... I think you need to read a book as, um, thats exactly what happened. A merchant posted his wares in a market, I was in need of said goods/services and determined the asking price was fair. So I purchased it.

What definition of 'Free Market' requires that there be an auctioneer and a gavel bang? I don't recall an e-bay goon coercing me or intimidating me. Neither I nor the seller appeared to have any Government subsidy, or any law/regulation specifically designed to benefit either of us. I saw the book. Other merchants listed the book for 3-4x this particular merchants price (and there were actually cheaper books, but this one was in NY so shipping would only be a day or so). I bought the book. I paid the asking price. On what planet is that NOT the free market?

And please, unless you have something insightful, please don't add to your post count with inane blather about 'Buy it Never is not an auction!'. Comments like that don't put you in a strong position to convey your message or convince others of your plight.
                      Last edited by Farbmeister; 06-29-2010, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Wow you must hare really got burned on something you REALLY REALLY wanted.

I think I sold maybe 2-3 things on e-bay... but nothing massive... maybe $100.

You seem to be just wanting to add to your post count because you posted *something*... but I cannot determine what.

As for 'Free Market' setting the price... I think you need to read a book as, um, thats exactly what happened. A merchant posted his wares in a market, I was in need of said goods/services and determined the asking price was fair. So I purchased it.

What definition of 'Free Market' requires that there be an auctioneer and a gavel bang? I don't recall an e-bay goon coercing me or intimidating me. Neither I nor the seller appeared to have any Government subsidy, or any law/regulation specifically designed to benefit either of us. I saw the book. Other merchants listed the book for 3-4x this particular merchants price (and there were actually cheaper books, but this one was in NY so shipping would only be a day or so). I bought the book. I paid the asking price. On what planet is that NOT the free market?

And please, unless you have something insightful, please don't add to your post count with inane blather about 'Buy it Never is not an auction!'. Comments like that don't put you in a strong position to convey your message or convince others of your plight.
                        'Buy it Never is not an auction!' :<)

But it is a thinly veiled attempt by a seller to push overpriced merchandise to ignorant buyers.

And you conveniently avoided answering why sellers don't sell in true auctions.

Wanna try again?

TMT

Comment

E-bay is a MARKETPLACE:

"With more than 90 million active users globally, eBay is the world's largest online marketplace, where practically anyone can buy and sell practically anything. Founded in 1995, eBay connects a diverse and passionate community of individual buyers and sellers, as well as small businesses. "

It uses several auction types, as well as straight 'for sale' items.

Actually, e-bay does not use the term AUCTION anywhere on its site the I could find.

There ARE strict 'auction only' type web sites, but e-bay is not one of them.

In fact, if you read STEP 4 of 'HOW DO I BUY AN ITEM' at http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/buy-item.html you'll clearly see that BIN is part of the process.

Again, not sure what you are complaining about, e-bay is doing exactly what you signed up for it to do.

Comment

eBay is OK

I usually use the eBay "Buy it now" (BIN) facility as it suits me. I know exactly how much I have to pay. All eBay and Pay-Pal fees and costs as well as postage and/or handling are charged to and paid by the seller. As soon as I accept and authorise my Pay-Pal payment it is all over seamlessly and surgically in a matter of minutes. The PP "having paid" notice is pretty well immediate and shows up in my account the next day.

I am very fussy with whom I use the BIN process. I have never had a problem in any manner shape or form.

I don't sell on eBay or anywhere else as I destroy and/or scrap anything I no longer need.

I had reason to buy a fairly expensive item in an eBay auction recently. eBay was faultless in every way. I read up on the rules and was well advised by eBay and well prepared. I won the auction. I was notified of my "win" and sent an account - optional VISA or Pay-Pal - within minutes. I paid the account by PP within minutes and was notified that the seller had been paid. I had an email from the seller within minutes to say that he had been paid and to arrange for the transport - over 1,000Km ~ over 600 miles - at my expense - from the seller to me. It was as smooth as you could ask for and the goods arrived in excellent condition.

As a buyer, I am no more concerned about how the seller structures his price than I am in how my machine and tool supplier or my gas supplier (BOC) structures his - same goes for retail shopping in the towns. All I want to know is what the goods are, what their condition is, what I am prepared to pay and how much the seller wants. If all that meets my requirements, I buy it - otherwise - I don't - simple as that.

So, all in all as a buyer, I am very happy with eBay BIN and auction services.

If a seller can't make a go of it with what he considers (hopes?) is a good price and a good net profit, then the market is telling him that he needs to re-think and reconsider his options.

eBay is not there to make a profit for sellers any more than it is there to prevent buyers paying more than perhaps they should.

It is simply a facilitation service in the market to make a commercial profit for its share-holders.

It has no social obligations that I am aware of - nor should it have.

People should read and be aware of the terms of the contract and its terms and conditions that they sign (up to) before being able to use the services that eBay provides.

Comment

'Buy it Never is not an auction!' :<)

But it is a thinly veiled attempt by a seller to push overpriced merchandise to ignorant buyers.

And you conveniently avoided answering why sellers don't sell in true auctions.

Wanna try again?

TMT
                              Outside of eBay land those "overpriced" items are actual prices. We sell our "overpriced" stuff from our dot com and direct, alot of it does not have a chance on eBay. The biggest problem has been eBay, they listened to the wrong crowd, the ones that do not have a dime to spend and expect free hand-outs like shipping, post sale partial refund black mail, etc.. That group squeals the loudest so eBay has geared things toward them and the results are obvious from the sales and traffic patterns eBay currently has. Our eBay prices are high because the eBay fees and SHIPPING fees are packed into the selling price. How can we offer $2.99 shipping when it actually costs $12 USD. After the sale eBay & paypal combined fees are approximately 20% of the selling price, who do you think is paying for that, do you really think anyone is going to chase non- profitible revenue selling on eBay. The costs associated with selling on eBay are not only the fees, its the BS created from buyers black mailing sellers with poor feedback!!!!! all of that gets bundled in our eBay price model. Recently we have started listing all newly listed items on our dot com at eBay price minus the fees, you would be shocked to see how much the price drops out side of the eBay platform.
                              Last edited by squirrel; 06-30-2010, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I cannot for the life of me work out what the problem is here!. I hate Ebay with a passion with there Mob mentality and 20% cake on top, but if I see a deal, I work out all the costs and it falls in my favor! Ill bash the buy key in a heartbeat.

I go to real auctions a lot, waste of a day maybe maybe not, ive won some and lost some, that’s life.

I go on the street and find locked prices hidden with bull**** warranties and opportunities to siphon into your personal life wanting email, phone, address and zip codes etc. at least with auctions I have a little more control.

The net is my shopping now, it works! Why? Because I aint no Nit-Wit, I know what I want, how much I want to spend while paying attention to details which covers my ass.
                                Have I been bitten yes!!. But its dropping off as the years go by.

Simple as chicken soup guys. Anthony.

Comment

Working...
                                X