Ebay's "Buy It Never"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
    Ever notice that Ebay "auctions" that use the Buy It Now ((LOL) option go on forever as "Buy It Never"s?

I used to spend thousands monthly on Ebay...now I don't spend a nickel there.

Anyone else?

TMT

That's because you already have "Too Many Tools".

As far as eBay goes, they have become a de facto public uitility. Love them or leave them, they won't care. In the words of our wonderful new president, "They are too big to fail".

Comment

Originally posted by Farbmeister
      E-bay is a MARKETPLACE:

"With more than 90 million active users globally, eBay is the world's largest online marketplace, where practically anyone can buy and sell practically anything. Founded in 1995, eBay connects a diverse and passionate community of individual buyers and sellers, as well as small businesses. "

It uses several auction types, as well as straight 'for sale' items.

Actually, e-bay does not use the term AUCTION anywhere on its site the I could find.

There ARE strict 'auction only' type web sites, but e-bay is not one of them.

In fact, if you read STEP 4 of 'HOW DO I BUY AN ITEM' at http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/buy-item.html you'll clearly see that BIN is part of the process.

Again, not sure what you are complaining about, e-bay is doing exactly what you signed up for it to do.
      Try looking here....

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/formats.html#auction

"Auction-style listing"

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
        Outside of eBay land those "overpriced" items are actual prices. We sell our "overpriced" stuff from our dot com and direct, alot of it does not have a chance on eBay. The biggest problem has been eBay, they listened to the wrong crowd, the ones that do not have a dime to spend and expect free hand-outs like shipping, post sale partial refund black mail, etc.. That group squeals the loudest so eBay has geared things toward them and the results are obvious from the sales and traffic patterns eBay currently has. Our eBay prices are high because the eBay fees and SHIPPING fees are packed into the selling price. How can we offer $2.99 shipping when it actually costs $12 USD. After the sale eBay & paypal combined fees are approximately 20% of the selling price, who do you think is paying for that, do you really think anyone is going to chase non- profitible revenue selling on eBay. The costs associated with selling on eBay are not only the fees, its the BS created from buyers black mailing sellers with poor feedback!!!!! all of that gets bundled in our eBay price model. Recently we have started listing all newly listed items on our dot com at eBay price minus the fees, you would be shocked to see how much the price drops out side of the eBay platform.
        Oh yes...those POOR sellers...LOL.

They made their bed and now have to lie in it.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by gnm109
          That's because you already have "Too Many Tools".

As far as eBay goes, they have become a de facto public uitility. Love them or leave them, they won't care. In the words of our wonderful new president, "They are too big to fail".
          Maybe...maybe not....but I keep buying tools...just not from overpriced Ebay Buy It Nevers.

You must have failed history.

That is a quote from Bush...the same guy who brought you The Great Republican Recession and bailed out the banks.

Obama has accomplished more in over 1 year than Bush did 8 years.

TMT

Comment

Oh yes...those POOR sellers...LOL.

They made their bed and now have to lie in it.

TMT
            Who? eBay or the sellers?

Comment

Originally posted by ieezitin
              I cannot for the life of me work out what the problem is here!. I hate Ebay with a passion with there Mob mentality and 20% cake on top, but if I see a deal, I work out all the costs and it falls in my favor! Ill bash the buy key in a heartbeat.

I go to real auctions a lot, waste of a day maybe maybe not, ive won some and lost some, that’s life.

I go on the street and find locked prices hidden with bull**** warranties and opportunities to siphon into your personal life wanting email, phone, address and zip codes etc. at least with auctions I have a little more control.

The net is my shopping now, it works! Why? Because I aint no Nit-Wit, I know what I want, how much I want to spend while paying attention to details which covers my ass.
              Have I been bitten yes!!. But its dropping off as the years go by.

Simple as chicken soup guys. Anthony.
              As I have said, I have spent many dollars on Ebay in the past...when merchandise was offered in the auction formats.

Now sellers are hiding behind Buy It Nevers hoping some idiot will buy their overpriced junk.

It isn't happening.

I have gone from spending thousands per month on Ebay to ZERO.

Now I spend my money at true auctions...when the value is there.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                From our research the number of sellers in the Business and industrial section that will be effected is close to 78%. Most of the them have absoluletly no clue that they will get a 1099 next year and the tax liability they will have from it. That will shut down alot of them I see at the auctions every week, the ones living on the CASH economy. The impact on eBay is hard to speculate due to MANY rapidly changing issues. eBay's policy changes over the last several years have reduced our profits and total revenues greatly, they are doing an excellent job at "crash and burn" management...........next year might be their worst ever.
                I agree that many sellers have a big tax surprise coming.

There is also a serious move to go retroactive on tax collection on past Ebay sales...and to collect penalties and interest in addition to the unpaid taxes.

TMT

Comment

Recalcitrants

Originally Posted by squirrel
                  From our research the number of sellers in the Business and industrial section that will be effected is close to 78%. Most of the them have absoluletly no clue that they will get a 1099 next year and the tax liability they will have from it. That will shut down alot of them I see at the auctions every week, the ones living on the CASH economy. The impact on eBay is hard to speculate due to MANY rapidly changing issues. eBay's policy changes over the last several years have reduced our profits and total revenues greatly, they are doing an excellent job at "crash and burn" management...........next year might be their worst ever.

There is also a serious move to go retroactive on tax collection on past Ebay sales...and to collect penalties and interest in addition to the unpaid taxes.

TMT
                  I am in OZ but the issues - and the Tax Office remedies - are pretty much the same.

Our TO is remarkably well-equipped to cross-check with a whole lot of Government departments as well as financial institutions and sellers (and buyers) etc. of goods and services that are potential sources of additional revenue.

If they can track sellers they can equally effectively track buyers too.

"Please explain", and "show cause" notices are quite common as are desk and "in depth" audits. They are very efficient.

There will be a digital trace of every item sold and bought as well as every seller and buyer and their financial institutions.

If the Government were to raise taxes and/or reduce expenditure on "social services" etc. it would not be too popular at all with Joe and Mary Citizen - Corporations too.

But if the Government - read Tax Office - were to increase revenue from "Tax-dodgers" while at the same time reducing tax (or increases in it) and maintaining or increasing expenditure and services that get voters approval the Government will do very well and the "bad guys" will have not only had to pay their way but will have been penalised and punished as well.

It doesn't take too may Tax Office "wins" this way to really get the message over to the recalcitrants in general and the Public at large.

Comment

Try looking here....

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/formats.html#auction

"Auction-style listing"

TMT
                    Correct 'AUCTION-STYLE'

There are what, a dozen or so auction types. Plus, as the learned go-er to of auctions that you are, you know that even live auctions can have an item pulled if sold before hand.

You could hold up an item, say 'First $20 takes it', and when the first guy say $20! its sold.

And as I mentioned, e-bay allows store type listings with BIN. Its not it not allowed.

Comment

TMT
                      No, you were ALWAYS supposed to report it.. but the gubment never had a method to track it. Use taxes are the BIGGEST rip off (if you buy something out of state, you are supposed to pay TAX on it the moment it comes into the state.

"A use tax is a type of excise tax levied in the United States. It is assessed upon otherwise "tax free" tangible personal property purchased by a resident of the assessing state for use, storage or consumption of goods in that state (not for resale), regardless of where the purchase took place. The use tax is typically assessed at the same rate as the sales tax that would have been owed (if any) had the same goods been purchased in the state of residence. Use tax applies when sales tax has not been charged. Purchases made over the Internet and out-of-state are the most common type of transactions subject to a use tax."

This is a perfect example of 'if people only knew the law they would have it changed'. That time is coming.

Ever wonder why the employer does your federal/state/local taxes? You would march on DC in a heartbeat as soon as you realized how much the gubment stole from you every week. But since its done in the background by the employer its just a number on a stub. Be self employed and write your 940/941 and estimated tax payment every week/month.. that's cash directly from your pocket and it SUCKS.

Comment

tax message

Originally posted by Farbmeister
                        Ever wonder why the employer does your federal/state/local taxes? You would march on DC in a heartbeat as soon as you realized how much the gubment stole from you every week. But since its done in the background by the employer its just a number on a stub. Be self employed and write your 940/941 and estimated tax payment every week/month.. that's cash directly from your pocket and it SUCKS.
                        This is correct. DC doesn't want the average drone to think about it. They also know joe citizen wouldn't have saved the money to pay their taxes. The money would have been spent and DC would be going to court to get blood from the turnip.

Comment

TMT
                          eBay fought Canada for a long time to withhold Canadian sellers sales figures and lost last year, their government went back too, I believe, 2003!!! With this countries debt load look out!!

Comment

TMT

Perhaps they can go back and collect some tax from past sales. Good luck collecting from the little old ladies who sold the family heirlooms to get by after their mates passed on. It will be interesting to try collect from people who no longer have accounts with eBay. Also, proving who used the computer to make the purchase might be a daunting task. It sounds like a good plan to increase government employment which, after all, seems to be the goal of the present administration.

Someday, the government will learn that increasing taxes can only net so much revenue. People will simply quit buying and selling on eBay if they know they will receive a 1099. I know that I will.
                            Last edited by gnm109; 07-01-2010, 10:04 AM.

Comment

7 years

Same here.

All tax-related records (all kinds) are to be kept for 7 years as that is how far back the Tax Office audits go here in OZ.

Not knowing or ignorance is no defence.

Tax avoidance or minimisation is generally - but not always - OK but Tax evasion is definitely not OK - as they will tell - and convince - you in no uncertain terms.

Check the text and warnings at or near to where where you sign-off on your Tax Returns. The penalties are quite high.

Trading for "hobbies" is generally tax-free but be sure you can convince the Tax Office if they think its a business or taxable!!!

Its amazing what they have access to and what they find and how far back they go.

Comment

This is the first I have heard of eBay providing a 1099. It will be interesting to see how it plays out if it is indeed a fact.

I have been using eBay for over ten years now, and have yet to receive one dime from them or PayPal. Since they have paid me no money, how can they furnish a 1099? They are merely agents, no different than a Flea Market or your bank. The money is yours and the transactions are between you and the buyer or seller.
                                Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                                X