Ebay's "Buy It Never"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gnm109
    Sometimes you simply have to use a reserve, however. Reserves are almost mandatory when the item you are selling is completely unique. Say you have a 1939 Martin D-28 guitar in pristine condition. You have it appraised and it's worth, say, $50,000 to a collector. (Yes, they sell for that all day long nowadays.....silly, isn't it?)

If I were to sell something like that, ( I wouldn't, of course, but we're just talking here) putting it up without a reserve is extremely foolish, assuming that you intend to sell to the highest bidder.

It would have to be reserved at the appraised value. Selling it for less wouldn't make any sense, since if it's the genuine article in proper condition, it's irreplaceable and totally unique.

I agree, however, if you are selling something like your grandmother's old house slippers, or your favorite Teddy Bear from your childhood, you should probably stare it at $.01. You've got to be realistic.

Try explaining that again...the value of the item does not determine whether or not a reserve is used.

A seller places a reserve on an item because they are AFRAID that it will sell lower than what they want it to in an auction...no faith in the free market system.

The same reason sellers use Buy It Nevers.

And FWIW...a valid appraisal will reflect TRUE MARKET VALUE...as will an free market auction without BIN's, reserves, premiums and all the other crappola that sellers like to use to spin transactions to their favor.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
      Try explaining that again...the value of the item does not determine whether or not a reserve is used.

A seller places a reserve on an item because they are AFRAID that it will sell lower than what they want it to in an auction...no faith in the free market system.

The same reason sellers use Buy It Nevers.

And FWIW...a valid appraisal will reflect TRUE MARKET VALUE...as will an free market auction without BIN's, reserves, premiums and all the other crappola that sellers like to use to spin transactions to their favor.

TMT

OK, your comment makes no sense. You say:

"the value of the item does not determine whether or not a reserve is used."

Then you say:

A seller places a reserve on an item because they are AFRAID that it will sell lower than what they want it to in an auction...

Wrong. They place a reserve on an item based on it's true value to them based on their knowledge and what the market provides for that specific item. (there goes your first premise).

Fear doesn't enter into it. (there goes your second premise). My example, a vintage Martin guitar has a well-known value. No fear involved. Sellers are simply making absolutely certain that something doesn't sell under the market. They are only interested in a certain price, or more. No fear involved. The reserve removes the fear. Nothing wrong with fear in any case.

As to your third point - No faith in the free market system. That's laughable. The so-called free market doesn't control what I want for a unique item. If I have something that's rare and unique (I do from time to time) whoever buys it is going to pay the full appraised value - the free market be damned. If it doesn't meet reserve, no sale.

I wouldn't use a reserve on a used GE toaster, but other items, yes. I will use a reserve whenever it serves my needs. No "crappola" (your word)
      involved.

I guess you've had some items that you wanted and you didn't bid high enough. you sound bitter.....I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
        The "BIN's, reserves, premiums and all the other crappola..." are all part of the "free market auction".

Darren Harris
        Staten Island, New York.

Comment

That's why we stopped listing with no reserve auctions. Fixed price is a much better way to go. eBay 11 years ago was strong enough items would reach and or exceed real value, anymore its a joke. I test the auction format with our other account and the its still a joke, just had something sell for .99 cents, the opening bid price. We usually end the listing if the if it does not hit at least 65% of the price within 12 hours of the auction ending, forgot about that one.

Comment

Sometimes you simply have to use a reserve, however. Reserves are almost mandatory when the item you are selling is completely unique. Say you have a 1939 Martin D-28 guitar in pristine condition. You have it appraised and it's worth, say, $50,000 to a collector. (Yes, they sell for that all day long nowadays.....silly, isn't it?)
            Speaking of these high ticket items, EBay has a $15000.00 limit on bidding unless certain conditions as determined by EBay are met.

Comment

OK, your comment makes no sense. You say:

"the value of the item does not determine whether or not a reserve is used."

Then you say:

A seller places a reserve on an item because they are AFRAID that it will sell lower than what they want it to in an auction...

Wrong. They place a reserve on an item based on it's true value to them based on their knowledge and what the market provides for that specific item. (there goes your first premise).

Fear doesn't enter into it. (there goes your second premise). My example, a vintage Martin guitar has a well-known value. No fear involved. Sellers are simply making absolutely certain that something doesn't sell under the market. They are only interested in a certain price, or more. No fear involved. The reserve removes the fear. Nothing wrong with fear in any case.

As to your third point - No faith in the free market system. That's laughable. The so-called free market doesn't control what I want for a unique item. If I have something that's rare and unique (I do from time to time) whoever buys it is going to pay the full appraised value - the free market be damned. If it doesn't meet reserve, no sale.

I wouldn't use a reserve on a used GE toaster, but other items, yes. I will use a reserve whenever it serves my needs. No "crappola" (your word)
              involved.

I guess you've had some items that you wanted and you didn't bid high enough. you sound bitter.....I understand.

LOL..an item is worth what the FREE market will pay for it...nothing more..nothing less.

A reserve does not change that.

Everything I mentioned earlier are but games that sellers try to play...out of fear.

And your attempts to insult me does not change this. ;<)

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Ridgerunner
                Speaking of these high ticket items, EBay has a $15000.00 limit on bidding unless certain conditions as determined by EBay are met.
                Because of fear...the house always wants to win.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by D_Harris
                  The "BIN's, reserves, premiums and all the other crappola..." are all part of the "free market auction".

Darren Harris
                  Staten Island, New York.
                  Actually they are not.

They are attempts to weight the transaction in the seller's favor.

Wise buyers strive for a level playing field...knowing that it is their money that makes the system work.

Any item is worthless if no one is willing to buy it.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                    That's why we stopped listing with no reserve auctions. Fixed price is a much better way to go. eBay 11 years ago was strong enough items would reach and or exceed real value, anymore its a joke. I test the auction format with our other account and the its still a joke, just had something sell for .99 cents, the opening bid price. We usually end the listing if the if it does not hit at least 65% of the price within 12 hours of the auction ending, forgot about that one.
                    Or perhaps you are seeing the true worth of the item through the eyes of the free market.

Remember all those millions of houses that are now suddenly worth pennies on the dollar?

Most of their owners (including the banks) still are thinking the houses are worth more than what the free market says they are worth.

The free market thinks otherwise.

No one likes a haircut...when they are the one who bleeds.

Look up the word "deflation" and apply it to machine tools...and Buy It Nevers.

TMT

Comment

• Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
                      LOL..an item is worth what the FREE market will pay for it...nothing more..nothing less.

A reserve does not change that.

Everything I mentioned earlier are but games that sellers try to play...out of fear.

And your attempts to insult me does not change this. ;<)

TMT

You do sound bitter. You must have had some trouble sometime on an auction. Out of deference to you, I think I'll start using reserves again on my auctions.

You don't like being insulted and I don't like having everything I say contradicted for no reason.

Comment

Actually they are not.

They are attempts to weight the transaction in the seller's favor.

Wise buyers strive for a level playing field...knowing that it is their money that makes the system work.

Any item is worthless if no one is willing to buy it.

TMT
                        Well, since you want to put those rules in place. Let's take all the price tags off of all the merchandise the next time you walk into any store. After all, those are just "reserves" put in place by those fearful sellers to weigh the transaction in their favor.

And going by what you are saying, if anything is left on the shelf by closing time then regardless of it's price tag, this would mean that the "free market" finds it worthless.

In all formats sellers have always tried to "weight the transaction" in their favor. That's capitalism at work.

Darren Harris
                        Staten Island, New York.

Comment

• Originally posted by gnm109
                          You do sound bitter. You must have had some trouble sometime on an auction. Out of deference to you, I think I'll start using reserves again on my auctions.

You don't like being insulted and I don't like having everything I say contradicted for no reason.
                          Not bitter...just honest. ;<)

Do what you wish with your auctions...it is your stuff to sell and my money to spend...that is if the "right" auction comes along.

And that "right" auction won't have a reserve. ;<)

Good luck with your efforts in this recession where cash is king.

TMT

Comment

• Originally posted by D_Harris
                            Well, since you want to put those rules in place. Let's take all the price tags off of all the merchandise the next time you walk into any store. After all, those are just "reserves" put in place by those fearful sellers to weigh the transaction in their favor.

And going by what you are saying, if anything is left on the shelf by closing time then regardless of it's price tag, this would mean that the "free market" finds it worthless.

In all formats sellers have always tried to "weight the transaction" in their favor. That's capitalism at work.

Darren Harris
                            Staten Island, New York.
                            I rarely pay what the retailer intially wants.

Smart buyers rarely do.

The way capitalism works is that sellers TRY to get the MOST they can while buyers TRY to pay the LEAST they can.

As to the original subject Ebay Buy It Nevers, sellers are hiding behind Buy It Nevers in an attempt to shore up prices in a deflationary economy...and buyers are sitting on their wallets waiting for prices to fall..as they will.

As I said, I have ceased spending money on Ebay with their silly Buy It Nevers since I can and do go to other selling venues and get better value for my dollars. I am not alone in this exodus from Ebay.

TMT

Comment

I rarely pay what the retailer intially wants.

Smart buyers rarely do.

The way capitalism works is that sellers TRY to get the MOST they can while buyers TRY to pay the LEAST they can.

As to the original subject Ebay Buy It Nevers, sellers are hiding behind Buy It Nevers in an attempt to shore up prices in a deflationary economy...and buyers are sitting on their wallets waiting for prices to fall..as they will.

As I said, I have ceased spending money on Ebay with their silly Buy It Nevers since I can and do go to other selling venues and get better value for my dollars. I am not alone in this exodus from Ebay.

TMT
                              Ok, perhaps where you live it is different, but the barter system is not in effect over here. When I walk into a super market or any store I have no choice but to pay retail.

As far as the exodus from eBay, Perhaps it is the high fees they charge along with all the system "improvements" that make the buying and selling experience worse with each change.

Darren Harris
                              Staten Island, New York.

Comment

• Is it a fact that there is a mass exodus from eBay by account holders? Does anyone have a link showing this to be a fact? I've heard people speak about this but I'd like to see some data.

I've been on eBay since 2000 and my only complaint is that the fees have gone up for sellers. I don't sell much anymore but when I buy, I don't seem to have any trouble.

If everybody leaves, maybe it will be easier for the rest of us who aren't leaving. Ya think?

Comment

Working...
                                X