Loading/Unloading a Machine On/Off a Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I HATE pallets.

I brought one machine home on a pallet. It was a major PITA to get it off the pallet. Like 75% of the move was that. I ended up cutting the pallet with a sawzall and removing it piece by piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
      Bob, I really like that trailer jack setup. I have seen some really HD versions at Northern tool for about $50.

Do you guys have a pallet jack? Those things are very useful for moving machinery. I'm currently using mine for a mobile base under the Millrite.
      You can buy them used for $50, sometimes less. I may have to get another to put under my lathe
      X2 on the trailer jack set up. Lot's cheaper than the Roll-O-Lift and they would take up much less room.

I have a pallet jack bought used for $50, a HF 1100# cap hydraulic scissor lift cart, and a 2 ton engine hoist. With these I can move everything except my planer, or my wife's opinion. So high on my to-do list is an A Frame for my 2 ton chain hoist. Got to have a way to put the table back on the planer.

Comment

[IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
          *** Bob, I really like that trailer jack setup. I have seen some really HD versions at Northern tool for about $50. I'll be doing some shopping on those too.

I have been eyeballing those lift tables and Mcycle lifts at HF, but have yet to see one like yours. Where did you get it? ***
          I've been asked about the source of my scissor MC lift before and I don't have an answer. I purchased it used and built the ramp and a larger table. I'm sure it's an import setup, maybe an eBay deal, but it's different than the parallelogram setup of the HF unit. It has a 1,000lb capacity, but the scissor design focuses all of that weight in the center: it has a "balancing on a head of a pin" kind of feel sometimes. It's plenty stable for working on the bike once lifted up, but I don't move it around without lowering the table first. Handy Industries makes a much nicer and more stable bike lift, even if it is the scissor style: http://www.handyindustries.com/

I don't use the bike lift as my primary load/unload device and wouldn't buy one for that purpose if I didn't also have a motorcycle. But I already had it and it does come in handy for sliding smaller machines (i.e., Atlas/Craftsman 12" lathe) into the truck. I have a cherry picker that is also useful for such jobs. For heavy machines I think the low CG of the drop trailer and the Roll-O-Lifts or steel bars are the perfect team. I'm very lucky to have all of that moving equipment available to me nearby at the local equipment rental place. If I wasn't so lucky I would fab up a set of those rolling trailer jacks and then build some adjustable/stepped wooden cribbing as needed to adapting to various shaped machines. Flat sided cabinets are easy to strap the Roll-O-Lifts to, but other machines would take some shimming between the lifts and the machine column to make everything stable.

Bob

Comment

Snowman - no pallets, just the pallet jack. A mill base sits nicely on one, no pallet required.

Dr. Stan, every time I look at those lift tables, none looks like someonthing I'd trust under 1500 lbs of iron. All the motorcycle lifts I've seen are long and narrow, or else much more expensive. Yours looks like a HD lift table.

Bill - You suck! <G>

My moving equipment consists of a 2-ton foldup engine hoist, a chainfall at the peak of the shop roof, and a smaller one on one side, the pallet jack, and a very stout steel work table on casters, that is about 40" square and 20" high. A lift table is on my list when I find one suitable. Also a narrower pallet jack.

I used my little 2-wheel trailer made for a formula car to haul my mill home. It worked real well.
            Last edited by Rex; 06-23-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Showoff! And yes, I'm jealous!

Originally posted by Bill in Ky
              [IMG][/IMG]

Comment

Is it just me or does that look spooky to anyone else

I had my mills base hanging by a cheep chinese come-along and it didn't look too comfortable -- but what else you going to lift a chinese mill with?

Comment

Lift lathe with cherry picker, drive U-haul motorcycle trailer out from under it. Roll into garage on pieces of black pipe.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                    Let me down easy,
                    Let me down slow.
                    Let me down easy
                    When it's time to go ...
                    Done exactly this. Get it down the ramp so that the leading edge of the mill digs in just off the ramp. Then edge the trailer away easing the winch wire as you go.
                    Easy, but scary the first time

Comment

Originally posted by Rex
                      Dr. Stan, every time I look at those lift tables, none looks like someonthing I'd trust under 1500 lbs of iron.

Bill - You suck! <G>
                      You're correct and I got it primarily for heavy vices and the like, especially since "Arthur" took up residence in my lower back. I does move my 9" SB lathe and 7" Atlas shaper quite nicely however.

X2 on Bill

On 2nd thought wonder if he's close by.

Comment

Chipmaster moving in

This was the start of my shop. The guys I bought the lathe from did all the moving. 1250lb of lathe. Pretty hefty hoist used.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool
                          You're a bigger man than I am then. I wouldn't trust myself as a counterweight for a radial drill. Still that was probably better than positioning yourself as a stop block on the downside.

You might notice that the mill was belayed above just for that eventuality. The strap can be loosened as needed while the winch is doing the controlled lowering.
                          I had the radial drill forward/vertical motion checked with safety ropes anticipating its tipping.

Knowing that it would do just that I made sure that I was at the right spot at the right time.

Without those ropes/my weight it would have tipped over in a blink of an eye when it reached the end of the inclined ramp.

I just *hate* moving high COG machines like bandsaws, drill presses, hydraulic presses where the majority of the mass is set high on an unstable frame....I swear that they want to flip over just by looking at them. Years ago when I was younger and much dumber I strapped a Powermatic 20" bandsaw onto a friend's small pickup with bad shocks...I still remember the pickup dancing all over the road as we hit every damn bump in the road...one scary ride to my house. Then my friend drove the last three miles to his house...but first he just HAD to stop and use the drive through at McDonalds..whose overhang was lower than the loaded bandsaw was high.

You can imagine what happened. ;<)

The bandsaw hit the overhang, broke loose its tiedowns, fell backwards taking with it his pickup tailgate...and the hood of the car behind him.

They are right when they say McDonalds can be hazardous to your health.

TMT

Comment

Sunbelt in Alabama

Key is "right equipment"...love those hydraulic drop down trailers; have used them in the past made by JPG, you fellows are lucky; here in Alabama the reply from the Sunbelt peeps in Birmingham was<huhhhh> never heard of either one!! same with other tool rental places in the area after about a dozen calls<grrrrrrrrrrr>

Lou

for moving heavy machinery is patience. Then, the right equipment. I've rented a drop-bed trailer from Sunbelt Rentals that drops the whole bed down to 4" off the deck. Easy soll on and off with just pipes and straps. That's a 1,500lb Gorton O-16/A mill in the in the pallett wrap caccoon. I've also moved a 3,000lb Hendey shaper with this trailer:

Sunbelt also rents a device called a Roll-O-Lift. Basically a small forklift in its own right. A pair get strapped to the machine, then jacked up a few inches and moved as a unit. It was very convenient:

Once on the shop floor the machine could be rolled to its resting place by one man. Well worth the investment.

Bob[/QUOTE]

Comment

Working...
                            X