Good deal alert for Canadians plus a tooling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good deal alert for Canadians plus a tooling question

Princess Auto has some nice little boxes of solid carbide cutters in the surplus section @ 6 bucks for 9 cutters. The contents of the boxes vary but include some tiny carbide circuit board drills, router bits and what look like mini roughing cutters and various others.

It's the roughing cutters I am a bit puzzled about. The red one has a drill bit tip. What are these intended for?

Before anybody asks, yes, I went tool shopping an hour after surgery....
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

I'm not sure what they are for, but that's a pretty good price. I pay $1 each or $5 for 6 for those surplus over here.

They are nice little bits regardless. I always assumed they were for some type of circuit board manufacturing process, whether it be the shape routing or what.

Comment

Not exactly sure about the red one Evan, perhaps an easy way to make a plunging rougher, or mill/drill?

Good for you for seizing the moment and hitting PA before going home.
      No sense wasting a trip to the big smoke just for surgery.

By the way the local PA had those on for $2.49/box a couple of years ago, yes I stocked up.
      Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

lol at macro roughing cutters.

Why, those are for hoging out large amounts of very little material. :P
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I would imagine that it's for ease of slotting in pc boards. Drill, move sideways to make the slot-
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons
            lol at macro roughing cutters.

Why, those are for hoging out large amounts of very little material. :P
            Good for removing mass quantities of microns.

I've got a couple boxes of those. I know I've used them a few times, but can't remember what for. I know I've used the little drills to drill safety wire holes in some bolts on the race bike a time or two. Other than that they live with all the other dremel bits that suck me into buying them at cheap prices everytime.

Comment

I wonder how good that carbide is, or what grade it is. I wonder if it would make decent custom cutters for shop made boring bars, etc, where you could easily mount them in drilled holes-

I have a tool holder for my lathe which takes round cutters. Most of these I've made from HSS long drill bits that originally came from Boeing Surplus. It would be easy to make up another holder with a 1/8 hole for these carbide shanks. I think I have a few around here somewhere-
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                I wonder how good that carbide is, or what grade it is. I wonder if it would make decent custom cutters for shop made boring bars, etc, where you could easily mount them in drilled holes-

I have a tool holder for my lathe which takes round cutters. Most of these I've made from HSS long drill bits that originally came from Boeing Surplus. It would be easy to make up another holder with a 1/8 hole for these carbide shanks. I think I have a few around here somewhere-
                woah awsome idea, especialy considering how much shank there is on those toolbits.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

No wonder this chain is Canadian only - no American male would go to a store with the word "princess" in it. Unless it was a "gentleman's club", or something like that.

Comment

It is a reference to royalty. Canada is still "owned" in name by the Queen of England. Her name appears on the title to all public lands.

Have you ever noticed that the countries noted for the fiercest warriors have no problem accepting a woman as the ruler? For example, all the Scandinavian countries (vikings), The Scots (Mel Gibson ), India (the Sikhs) and Japan (Samurai) to name just a few. The US has what? Rambo?
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                      The US has what? Rambo?

Al Jolson.

I see OZ now has a woman as a prime minister.

I have nothing against women, I think every tradesman should have one.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                        Al Jolson.

I see OZ now has a woman as a prime minister.

I have nothing against women, I think every tradesman should have one.
                        Well your Gert hasn't done a very good job with your shop floor, you need to get a Russian bride.
                        john
                        John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

Evan

Many Years ago my Austrilian Engineer Friend had bought some in a small white box. 50 in a box for like $15 dollars./ He told me they are for circuit board machining work. I still have my set and have not yet used then but since I recently bought a Taig CNC Mill i hope to use some of those cutters soon on some new projects. Mike

Comment

Originally posted by beanbag
                            No wonder this chain is Canadian only - no American male would go to a store with the word "princess" in it. Unless it was a "gentleman's club", or something like that.
                            Princess auto started out on Princess street in Winnipeg. We don't think about the name when we go there

Comment

Originally posted by darryl

I have a big set of drills like that. They came from the local Keytronic factory. I would guess them to be C2.

Very easy and forgiving to grind on a green wheel.
                              Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X