Tool gloat and questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool gloat and questions

I've had an old Logan for several years that I paid $450 for and after a lot of work it has made buckets of chips.
    Last week another Logan 200 appeared in the hangar next to mine where I keep my airplane.
    My neighbor said it was a donation to his search and rescue organization. He offered me the lathe and a box of parts for $200.
    The deal was done and now I have twin Logan 200's.

The drills are MT shanks and most fit the tailstock MT2 taper.
    The collet closer is called a "production" closer by Logan. There wern't any collets and I doubt if any are available. I probably won't use it.
    I thought the long piece was a taper attachment but I can't figure it out - does anyone know what it might be or how it works?? The paint on it is Logan grey.
    Bill
    Last edited by Seastar; 06-24-2010, 09:43 AM.
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

I forgot to ask ----

Here are two tools that were with the logan ---

The first ,I have no idea what it could be????
    The second appears to be some sort of manual piloted facing tool.
    The pilot is 1.25".
    Can anyone enlighten me on the uses for these?
    Bill

Comment

Another question???

The Logan came with a reversing motor AND a threaded headstock. That does not compute to me. What am I missing?
      Bill

Comment

Nice score!

Tool 1 - looks like a tenon cutter for use with a brace.

Reverse with threaded spindle - could still be used for collet work (with collet in spindle / drawbar setup).

Guessing... Seastar ... seaplane?
        Last edited by Herb W; 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastar
          The Logan came with a reversing motor AND a threaded headstock. That does not compute to me. What am I missing?
          Bill
          Not a big deal to run the threaded spindle backwards as long as the cuts are of reasonable depth/load and you don't "plug" reverse the spindle. Plug reversing has several names and is basically an instantaneous reversal of direction which will cause the chuck to unthread itself due to ineria.

Comment

Very Cool! Wish it were me. Fred

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5
              Not a big deal to run the threaded spindle backwards as long as the cuts are of reasonable depth/load and you don't "plug" reverse the spindle. Plug reversing has several names and is basically an instantaneous reversal of direction which will cause the chuck to unthread itself due to ineria.
              Plug reversing works great on 3 phase motors. I doubt the OP's machines are fitted with those. Plug reverse a single phase motor and it just keeps happily going the same direction.

metalmagpie

Comment

First photo is a tang cutter, it's for making the round tang on the end of a wooden spoke, then the tang is fitted to the felloe.

For more info on this very old art of wheelwrighting, do a google, you'll be amazed at what the "old timers" got up to.

Comment

Lever collet closer

Collets certainly are available. Why do you think you will never hold a part in a collet? Much better at holding things concentric and firmly than a worn three jaw or even a new three jaw.

Comment

Tools

Thanks for the input on the spoke cutter. That makes sense. I'll have to try it.

Actually, I've never flown a seaplane. All of my planes (been flying for 46 years) have been land planes.
                    The Seastar comes from the street I live on - Sea Star Drive.

I do use collets, I just don't think I would bother with this "production" collet closer. I don't do production -
                    A homemade drawbar serves me pretty well with collets.

Does anyone know what the 2 foot long thing I thought was a taper attachment is for???? That is the thing that puzzles me the most.
                    Bill

Comment

I drilled and tapped my threaded chucks and ran setscrews in that bear on the outside of the spindle spigot through copper pads. Now the chucks stay put. Don't have to tighten the setscrews very tight, either, because the "instant" reverse isn't really instant. 1/4 turn on the setscrews releases the chuck for removal.

Comment

IIRC the Logan closer takes Warner & Swasey collets, the ones with a "step" at the front.

Rather than being pulled back to close, they stay in one place, and allow accurate repeat work with a turret, or even with regular tooling. When you feed the bar against a stop, and then close the collet, it does not pull back and change the length sticking out.

If you ever make just 10 or 20 parts from bar stock, you will wish you had a collet setup..... much easier. Of course you can just use the 3 jaw, that's easy too, but less centered.

I have Logan, with turret attachment and regular setup. Of course as soon as I got the turret and built some tooling, I almost totally stopped doing any small-lot bar stock work....

BTW, your pictures take a minute + to load....... ON DSL!

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Nice score. I recommend altering the collet closer to work on standard 5C collets or something, should'nt take much modification.
                          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I have a logan 200 also. I'd install the "production" closer if I were you. Once you've used a collet lever like this you won't want to go back to a wheel or screw drawbar.

The logan 200 has a Morse Taper 3 which will take 3/4" stock through the spindle. You can get adapters for morse 3 tapers that take 3C or 3AT collets with a drawbar. The problem with 3C/3AT collets is that they max out at 1/2" diameter. 5C collets won't work on this lathe (You would need a 5C collet chuck for this). You can get 3/4" stock through the spindle if you use a 5C collet chuck on this lathe.

Comment

Tools

These are the collets I use. They go to 3/4".
                              http://www.cdcotools.com/index.php
                              Search for the the MT3 collets ----

BTW I need a three jaw for the new logan. Has anyone used one of the CDCO chucks? they have them on sale now.

I am still struggling with an ID for the long piece,
                              Can anyone help???
                              Bill
                              Last edited by Seastar; 06-26-2010, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X